Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacement for a Media Hard Drive

Options
  • 21-06-2020 12:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi guys,

I have an elderly uncle, mad into his movies and TV. He lives in a rural area, no broadband. So the last few years I load stuff onto a media hard drive for him. It's a 1TB Seagate 'Screenplay'. I think it's on its last legs so I want to get a replacement.

Things have obviously changed a lot in recent years since I got that hard drive, so what is a good replacement these days? The most basic thing I need to do is copy files from my laptop, to something that he can just plug into the TV and play. Anything else is a plus.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭TedsRevengeP

A small bump in case anyone can help.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

If the TV itself will play media from an external USB HDD then there is a 2.5" external 1TB Seagate drive available for about €60.

EDIT:

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/data-storage/data-storage/seagate-expansion-portable-hard-drive-1-tb-black-10127630-pdt.html

• Registered Users Posts: 82,598 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'd guess that drive he has now is self powered via mains and then connects via USB to tv? What you want to watch out for is portable drives which are powered from the USB on the TV, often the power in the USB port is not sufficient to run it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

If the TV itself will play media from an external USB HDD then there is a 2.5" external 1TB Seagate drive available for about €60.

EDIT:

https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/data-storage/data-storage/seagate-expansion-portable-hard-drive-1-tb-black-10127630-pdt.html

You would be best to check that with a few video files on a usb key. I think the Screenplay had it's own mini OS which allowed it to be played on any TV. Similar to my WD TV which I still have and works grand although the WD doesn't come with storage so you need to plug a hdd with all your files into it.

i had a screenplay, it was in itself a media player alright

OP just make sure of the two possible requirements:

can the tv play a fair selection of file types natively (if its fairly old its unlikely)

can the tv power a unit itself

once you know the answer to the above you know your options

have you an idea of budget at all

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

OP

What do you mean you think its on its last legs?

With a HDD, its either working ok or its not? Why your belief its about to die?

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭TedsRevengeP

NIMAN wrote: »
    OP

What do you mean you think its on its last legs?

With a HDD, its either working ok or its not? Why your belief its about to die?

Thanks everyone.

On it's last legs - he has said it sometimes won't start, so I presumed it is beginning to have issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

NIMAN wrote: »
    O
    With a HDD, its either working ok or its not?

Not quite true now is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

You're gonna need a Nvidia shield OP and a HDD.

Advertisement