Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy hazel rods

Options
  • 21-06-2020 5:03pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭

We want to put a raised bed in the back garden, and rather than build one from brick or some other hard landscaping material, we were thinking one of a woven hazel wattle might be an idea, like in the link below. Does anyone know if anywhere that would sell hazel suitable? Or anyone who has already tried this and knows the do's and don'ts?

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/wattle

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Never tried exactly that, but I have constructed several short fences out of wattled hazel rods.

After maybe ten years, the hazel rods in fences dry out and become quite brittle, the end is nigh, will have to re-make mine soon.

Maybe if they were in a moist situation like holding back earth in a raised bed, they might last longer.

I got my hazel rods in a real mixture of places, and included a few other trees as well.

Almost anywhere you see a hazel tree, there will be smooth long uprights leaping from it - these are the ones you want - as tall as yourself and as thick as your thumb.

Shhh...the planted "median" in the N11 - between the old Montrose Hotel and the Belfield campus - has quite a few hazels sprouting well. That's because they have been cut before (the cutting stimulates new rods to grow)
    Don't ask me how I know this....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Cheers; I suspect we'd be lucky to get five years out of them but replacing them every few years would be ok I reckon

Cheers; I suspect we'd be lucky to get five years out of them but replacing them every few years would be ok I reckon

Wattling is the best of fun to do!
    You have to stick firm uprights in the ground, about a foot apart - that is, quite close: these should be stronger wood, fence-posts or oak, etc,

Then weave your rods in front, behind, in front, behind, pressing down to keep them tight together. Cut off the odd bits that stick out, with a lopper. Feel free to tie or wedge loose bits, as needed.
    Its almost like meditation, and quite addictive!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,486 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what wood did you use for the stakes? i was wondering if alder might be rot resistant (if we can get it)

I used whatever I had around - a couple of holly stems as thick as my (quite small) wrist, bit of chestnut, an old spade handle, etc. I believe alder lasts well but have no experience of it. I know elm wood resists rotting and is waterproof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭whelzer

I posted the below.. 3 years ago. Fence is still ok, it looked really good until last winter, Don't think it will last another 2-3 years. I'm not sure you could do actual beds with it - although I had not thought of that...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102280341

Material is willow btw, got it from a guy in Cavan, I can look up his details if its of any use to you - PM me.

Advertisement