Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

“Senior politician, household name” sexually assaults girl [** NO NAMES **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

Proof of what? It's a tweet where she didn't name anyone not a court case.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Tommybojangles

In before someone tries to find a way to blame Leo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Misleading thread title, girl implies teenager or child. The tweet clearly says early 20’s.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

coinop wrote: »
    Do you believe women or will you demand proof?

https://mobile.twitter.com/taisling/status/1274649516491366401
    I don't believe anyone without proof and a tweet doesn't cut it. That's why we invented laws and courts of law. Anything else is mob rule.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

I don't believe her and a don't not believe her

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

In before someone tries to find a way to blame Leo

I have news for you about Leo...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Did she do anything at the time to prevent him molesting others in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 25,585 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

If I set up a twitter account tomorrow and blamed you of the same behaviour how would you want people to react?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

I don't think these things should be handled via twitter. It reminds me of a witch hunt. However she didn't name him so that's fair enough. No proof required.

I don't automatically believe women, I don't automatically believe men. Depends on the situation. Which in this case we know nothing about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

She should go to the Guards and make a statement otherwise speaking out on twitter is a fruitless exercise.

It leaves a seed of doubt over some of the prominent high profile male TDs now which is quite unfair.

• Advertisement

If I set up a twitter account tomorrow and blamed you of the same behaviour how would you want people to react?

I would demand proof of such a despicable act. But you’d be a brave man to ask the accuser and her disciples for proof. MeToo movement is Iike a cult. You need to accept their word as gospel and that’s that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

FFS another feeble effort to get attention. Sounds like someone made a fairly primitive attempt at a "pass" about 40 years ago. Girl did the same thing to me around the same time. Still remember the thrill. Glad I dont have to negotiate all the metoowokeploiticalcorrectnees web of protocol gping now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Blondini

That oul Mary Harney was a divil with a drink or two in him, so he was.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,124 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Nobody named, so no need for "proof" or indeed any discussion at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,585 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I would demand proof of such a despicable act. But you’d be a brave man to ask the accuser and her disciples for proof. MeToo movement is Iike a cult. You need to accept their word as gospel and that’s that.

Nah thats not how I do things, until the guards are involved or arrests are made then its just a made up story.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭JPCN1

I guess they all believed Sil Fox's accuser too. Whoever she was.

Nah thats not how I do things, until the guards are involved or arrests are made then its just a made up story.

Tell the girl that and be prepared to get called every name under the sun. Possibly they will contact your employer in an attempt to get you fired, drag your name in the mud. The only acceptable response to the cult is “I believe you” complete with heart emoji.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Trial by social media is a shocking thing to witness.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

If a crime is committed you report it to the Gardaí, not Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,380 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Id need evidence. Same as anything else, a claim isn't enough to believe anything. It's not evidence, it a claim.

Does anyone believe a claim like that without evidence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Itty bitty twitty bird

I think the op is in agreement with you and not the people immediately shouting "guilty"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Wibbs wrote: »
    I don't believe anyone without proof and a tweet doesn't cut it. That's why we invented laws and courts of law. Anything else is mob rule.

She hasn’t named anybody. “Household name” is a wide net.

Seems she’s just relating something that happened to her. I was sexually assaulted at 19. I’ve told a few people. I have no intention of ever taking legal action because it would be futile and, being honest, it didn’t really affect my life. But I’ve said it to a few people. Never named the guy. Just wanted to tell my story.

Id need evidence. Same as anything else, a claim isn't enough to believe anything. It's not evidence, it a claim.

Does anyone believe a claim like that without evidence?

Millions

Bambi wrote: »
    If a crime is committed you report it to the Gardaí, not Twitter.

Yeah but, she can "report" it anywhere she likes. She'd only report it to the Gardaí if she wants it investigated and if she wants to go down the legal route.

I can't see how there could be anything to investigate if there are no witnesses to an incident claimed to have happened years ago.

Millions

Well, I'm not amongst them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

That’s so f**ked up.

If you said, until the guards are involved I would reserve my opinion, that would be fair.

Assuming anyone who hasn’t gone to the guards is a liar is horrendous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Its the other attention seekers jumping in as quick as they can that makes me laugh.
    They have not a clue who this person is or what sort of a looper it could be but just have to jump on the bandwagon with #ibelieveyou.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

It's time to make a false accusation of rape/sexual assault a crime...

This will never end as long as twitter allows baseless claims on it's platform.

I've no doubt there are women out there who have been sexually assaulted, I've no doubt there are women out there capable of making it up.

We've already seen one Senior Minister accused publically of a sexual crime (Pat Carey)...how many more be subjected to the same.

We have just seen Syl Fox being forced to get a court to throw out a blatant false accusation against him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

She hasn’t named anybody. “Household name” is a wide net.

Seems she’s just relating something that happened to her. I was sexually assaulted at 19. I’ve told a few people. I have no intention of ever taking legal action because it would be futile and, being honest, it didn’t really affect my life. But I’ve said it to a few people. Never named the guy. Just wanted to tell my story.

Same. I see absolutely no point in reporting the times I’ve been assaulted to the Gardaí. That does not mean they didn’t happen.

And I’m grateful that the few friends and boyfriends I’ve told have believed me, because why would I make it up?

Advertisement