Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

“Senior politician, household name” sexually assaults girl [** NO NAMES **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

KiKi III wrote: »
    Was it a Normal show, and was he the lead?

what is normal show?

No.

I wish I wasn't such a brainlet and could come up with a clever clue for people to ponder.

Jesus that is a surprise

He would have been the last person I would think capable of such gowlishness

• Registered Users Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I believe it falls into what’s widely known as sexual misconduct; reprehensible and worthy of condemnation but does not rise to level of being worthy of arrest/ prosecution.

That would be my own take anyway.

Can I suggest that you have a word with the females in your family, and let them know that if anyone slips their hand up their skirt, you wont expect the Gardai to take any action. Let me know how you get on please?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Can I suggest that you have a word with the females in your family, and let them know that if anyone slips their hand up their skirt, you wont expect the Gardai to take any action. Let me know how you get on please?

The most pro-ibelieveher poster who concedes the point about there being a sliding scale of sexual abuse now getting attacked for it as if she is pro-rapist

12er wrote: »
    Depending on the context, I would say either inappropriate flirting, sleazy flirting or appropriate flirting is if she had been touching him too. Nobody knows the context or what actually happened.

The context of the case in question is pretty clear

He put his hand onthe woman in a way she didn't want, kept talking to others at the table so no one would suspect what he was doing

Pretty sleazy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,381 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I hate rapists and I think the worst of them should be hung, no joke, but I don't think randomly accussing men on Twitter will solve anything.

It depends on what you think it could achieve. It doesn't solve rape (as if anything could solve rape) but it does loads of things. It raises awareness of uncommon these types of low end sexual assaults are. It leads to discussion and shows how some people are dead set against the claimant. It shows how lots of people will use any old argument to reach the conclusion that the se posters always reach on these type of threads - the person claingbtonbe raped I'd also in the wrong (doesn't really matter what they did but they'll look for an way to say they were in the wrong) maybe they reported it too long after the alleged event, maybe they didn't report it and used the wrong medium to discuss it, maybe they were drunk or wearing the wrong clothes and there probablmaking it all up anyway.

You see the see posters who always start worth the conclusion that the claimant is the wrong'n. That's really interesting to see.

The tweet doesn't solve rape but it certainly leads to discussion and that's a good thing.

12er wrote: »
    Do we know if she put her hand on his leg?

I don't have the time to look for a facepalm gif worthy of this post.

I'm off to watch the Apple WWDC reveals of new software

• Registered Users Posts: 20,381 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

I don't agree with any of that. The only thing it might achieve is ending the careers of men who might be guilty of nothing more than awkward flirting.

Of course you don't agree with it. Isn't that kinda the point? It's true enough though.

The faux concern for politicians is cute. Nobody is going to be negatively affected by this unless yer wan accuses someone.

That explains why I never hear of battery.

So if assault is the act of violence do we have a law regarding the threat or fear of it? Is it just a part of the assault?

Assault covers it all

No.

I wish I wasn't such a brainlet and could come up with a clever clue for people to ponder.

Came back to say this.

I think we are both being too harsh on the man.

It was a difficult call to make - how does an actor choose between women and refugees ?

Two popular causes to pretend to care about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭tjhook

Sorry, I couldn't disagree more. It's like pointing at a group of people in Salem and shouting that one of them is a witch. Or in 1950s USA claiming one of them is a communist. Yes, it'll "raise awareness". It might even be true. But it's not justice. Especially for the other members of the group who have nothing to do with it but are tainted by the resulting whispers and rumours.

It's an abuse of power. Yes, I think having an audience of thousands is a power. In the old days you'd need to fill a venue to have an audience like that. These days it only takes a keyboard. I suppose everybody has the right to shout vague accusations about a group of people, but every right comes with a responsibility. And I'm not seeing much responsibility.

Your counterpart with opposite opinions could equally say that disbelieving rape claims is good because it "raises awareness" or exposes people's preconceived notions. What you've said above is no different, it just starts with different biases.
    It depends on what you think it could achieve. It doesn't solve rape (as if anything could solve rape) but it does loads of things. It raises awareness of uncommon these types of low end sexual assaults are. It leads to discussion and shows how some people are dead set against the claimant. It shows how lots of people will use any old argument to reach the conclusion that the se posters always reach on these type of threads - the person claingbtonbe raped I'd also in the wrong (doesn't really matter what they did but they'll look for an way to say they were in the wrong) maybe they reported it too long after the alleged event, maybe they didn't report it and used the wrong medium to discuss it, maybe they were drunk or wearing the wrong clothes and there probablmaking it all up anyway.

You see the see posters who always start worth the conclusion that the claimant is the wrong'n. That's really interesting to see.

The tweet doesn't solve rape but it certainly leads to discussion and that's a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

I am female, and as I shared earlier in the thread I’ve been assaulted more than once.

So I’ll thank you to hold back on your patronizing tone.

Last year, when a man made an untoward and highly inappropriate pass at me that scared me quite a bit I made a report to my local Garda station but made it clear I didn’t want to press any kind of charges.

Because I have to see this man regularly I wanted to be sure there was a record of it in case it happened again, or anything more serious happened, but I told them I didn’t want them to go speak with them on that occasion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I am female, and as I shared earlier in the thread I’ve been assaulted more than once.

So I’ll thank you to hold back on your patronizing tone.

Last year, when a man made an untoward and highly inappropriate pass at me that scared me quite a bit I made a report to my local Garda station but made it clear I didn’t want to press any kind of charges.

Because I have to see this man regularly I wanted to be sure there was a record of it in case it happened again, or anything more serious happened, but I told them I didn’t want them to go speak with them on that occasion.

My point stands, whether you are male or female.

Are you saying that you reported a man to the Gardai for non criminal behaviour , while you've confirmed that leg touching is not criminal behaviour?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Would it not be up to the garda taking the statement or their superior officer to decide as to whether or not to proceed with either questioning or charges

I actually started a thread here about it at the time. The man had waited until my housemate left (he’s a neighbour), turned up at my door stinking of drink at midday and lied to gain entry to my apartment. He then made a pass at me. He’s bigger than me, twice my age and married to the woman he lives in the apartment next door with.

Here’s the irony: Despite all the “tell the Gardaí” crowd on this thread, I got absolutely torn apart in AH (pre-CA days) for going to the Gardai over something so minor.

I deleted a previous account over it.

Sometimes it really just seems like there’s no winning here as a woman no matter what you do if a man behaves in a predatory way.

Would it not be up to the garda taking the statement or their superior officer to decide as to whether or not to proceed with either questioning or charges

No, the Garda in question left it up to me but he asked me to sign his notebook to confirm it as he said his superior officer would be wondering why he wasn’t following it up.

My point stands, whether you are male or female.

Are you saying that you reported a man to the Gardai for non criminal behaviour , while you've confirmed that leg touching is not criminal behaviour?

You asked for an opinion and I gave one.

For someone who seems to think they are defending victims of sexual assault, you’re taking a pretty aggressive tone with someone who has just disclosed that they have been assaulted more than once.

I actually started a thread here about it at the time. The man had waited until my housemate left (he’s a neighbour), turned up at my door stinking of drink at midday and lied to gain entry to my apartment. He then made a pass at me. He’s bigger than me, twice my age and married to the woman he lives in the apartment next door with.

Here’s the irony: Despite all the “tell the Gardaí” crowd on this thread, I got absolutely torn apart in AH (pre-CA days) for going to the Gardai over something so minor.

I deleted a previous account over it.

Sometimes it really just seems like there’s no winning here as a woman no matter what you do if a man behaves in a predatory way.

So going to Twitter and making an audacious claim whilst presenting nothing to back it up is the correct way of doing it so???? Aside from likes from braindead idiots, what exactly would be achieved by taking this course of action???

It all depends on the events within the incident. If it was a mere case of a drunken clumsy pass, just tell him **** off home to his missus.
    If he goes then thats the end of it, if he doesnt and becomes aggressive and acts in a threatening manner and/or you have difficulty in getting him to leave, then its a matter for the guards. It just seems so simple to me.....What part of this do women not understand?

So going to Twitter and making an audacious claim whilst presenting nothing to back it up is the correct way of doing it so???? Aside from likes from braindead idiots, what exactly would be achieved by taking this course of action???

It all depends on the events within the incident. If it was a mere case of a drunken clumsy pass, just tell him **** off home to his missus.
    If he goes then thats the end of it, if he doesnt and becomes aggressive and acts in a threatening manner and/or you have difficulty in getting him to leave, then its a matter for the guards. It just seems so simple to me.....What part of this do women not understand?

This part: I’m not going to wait until the situation is actively dangerous for me to take action to protect myself.

It wasn’t a harmless drunken pass, we weren’t at a party.

He:
    a) turned up at my house in the middle of the day drunk approximately an hour after he saw my housemate drive off
    b) lied to me to gain access to my home
    c) made a totally unwanted pass at me that I had in no way invited or encouraged

That’s more than enough red flags for me to make a report.

You asked for an opinion and I gave one.

For someone who seems to think they are defending victims of sexual assault, you’re taking a pretty aggressive tone with someone who has just disclosed that they have been assaulted more than once.

Now your just playing the victim card instead of engaging in any form of rational discussion :rolleyes:

The point of this whole thread is, if, for example, a woman alleges assault, is Twitter the right medium to do it on??? Are they interested in actual justice or likes?? If you were groped and feel uncomfortable and threatened, then that is unwarranted behaviour that needs to be reported to the Gardai. I suppose it depends on the would be assailant in question and how safe the victim feels in the same environment with him. If the victim feels there is a threat to their safety then go to the Gardai....not f**king twitter

• Advertisement

Now your just playing the victim card instead of engaging in any form of rational discussion :rolleyes:

The point of this whole thread is, if, for example, a woman alleges assault, is Twitter the right medium to do it on??? Are they interested in actual justice or likes?? If you were groped and feel uncomfortable and threatened, then that is unwarranted behaviour that needs to be reported to the Gardai. I suppose it depends on the would be assailant in question and how safe the victim feels in the same environment with him. If the victim feels there is a threat to their safety then go to the Gardai....not f**king twitter

If a man in your life who is bigger and stronger than you raped or assaulted you on a night out, would you feel totally comfortable reporting it at your local Garda station?

This part: I’m not going to wait until the situation is actively dangerous for me to take action to protect myself.

It wasn’t a harmless drunken pass, we weren’t at a party.

He:
    a) turned up at my house in the middle of the day drunk approximately an hour after he saw my housemate drive off
    b) lied to me to gain access to my home
    c) made a totally unwanted pass at me that I had in no way invited or encouraged

That’s more than enough red flags for me to make a report.

Okay, if you felt threatened and unsafe with his behaviour, then yes, i think you should report it.

Your neighbour sounds like a scumbag. If he ever does anything like that again, press charges and don't feel the slightest bit bad about it.

I used to chat to him and his wife every day. I’ve totally blanked him ever since and I’m sure that confuses his wife (I blank them both if she’s with him) but I can’t take the chance of seeming like a normal friendly person as inviting him in any way.

Okay, if you felt threatened and unsafe with his behaviour, then yes, i think you should report it.

... I did. That was the whole point of my post.

If a man in your life who is bigger and stronger than you raped or assaulted you on a night out, would you feel totally comfortable reporting it at your local Garda station?

Yes, i would.... Its just my view, but why would I let a scumbag away with such a vile act of evil?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭This is it

Yes, i would.... Its just my view, but why would I let a scumbag away with such a vile act of evil?

I have absolutely no idea how I'd react, but it certainly seems to me that it's a case of 'easier said than done'. Male or female.

ajr you are getting a little feverish in imagining all these gropes and gropings

have a cool drink man

theres plenty of room for debate without pushing posters into corners they didn't put themselves in

... I did. That was the whole point of my post.

Fair enough, if you honestly felt this guy posed a physical threat and is a possible future threat then i think you done the right thing. To be honest, i think I wouldn't agree with any criticism of your course of action.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Came back to say this.

I think we are both being too harsh on the man.

It was a difficult call to make - how does an actor choose between women and refugees ?

Two popular causes to pretend to care about.

Ni

• Advertisement

To all the men on this thread.....

If you were sexually assaulted or raped by a man anytime, sober or intoxicated.
    How would you feel about going to the guards?

Advertisement