Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

“Senior politician, household name” sexually assaults girl [** NO NAMES **]

Options

Comments

bubblypop wrote: »
    To all the men on this thread.....

If you were sexually assaulted or raped by a man anytime, sober or intoxicated.
    How would you feel about going to the guards?

Well posting on Twitter is certainly not the answer. Its total and utter idiocy. The only way you might get justice is through the courts and the only way to access the courts is through the Gardai. Yes, id imagine its a traumatic event and going to the guards is a brave step, I know that. You wont get justice on social media though. A few likes and a few dopamine hits maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Well posting on Twitter is certainly not the answer. Its total and utter idiocy. The only way you might get justice is through the courts and the only way to access the courts is through the Gardai. Yes, id imagine its a traumatic event and going to the guards is a brave step, I know that. You wont get justice on social media though. A few likes and a few dopamine hits maybe
    I don't know if this follow-up tweet was lost in the rush to call her a liar or criticise her for not going to the courts or what.

https://twitter.com/taisling/status/1274777663530512384?s=19

Yep, I agree with you, twitter is not the place for justice.
    But I wouldn't condemn someone because they didn't report it to AGS.
    But no, twitter is not the place to get justice

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Perhaps they have accepted that they’ll never get justice because they can’t prove what happened to them, but they want to state it publicly (putting themselves at risk of defamation suits) in order to warn other women.

Twitter is a deeply flawed way to seek justice for a sexual assault, but unfortunately our actual criminal justice system is also seen as deeply flawed by many victims.

Maybe that’s the problem we should be talking about.

KiKi III wrote: »
    Perhaps they have accepted that they’ll never get justice because they can’t prove what happened to them, but they want to state it publicly (putting themselves at risk of defamation suits) in order to warn other women.

Twitter is a deeply flawed way to seek justice for a sexual assault, but unfortunately our actual criminal justice system is also seen as deeply flawed by many victims.

Ah nonsense, they are doing it for the dopamine hits and nothing else. Some of these imbeciles mightnt even be genuine.

Of course this vaccous gowlbag accelerated this trend a few years back
    https://www.her.ie/news/whos-hiding-weinsteins-ireland-372326

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    I don't know if this follow-up tweet was lost in the rush to call her a liar or criticise her for not going to the courts or what.

Maybe she's genuine, maybe she's not. I honestly dont know. Id prefer to make my own judgement based on the evidence presented during the trial.

If we go down the route of trial by social media we are utterly screwed.

Ah nonsense, they are doing it for the dopamine hits and nothing else. Some of these imbeciles mightnt even be genuine.

Of course this vaccous gowlbag accelerated this trend a few years back
    https://www.her.ie/news/whos-hiding-weinsteins-ireland-372326

That’s a really disgusting opinion to have of the dozens of women who have spoken out in Ireland over the weekend about the prevalence of sexual misconduct in wrestling, comedy and politics in this instance.

It says a lot about you.

You may not agree with using Twitter instead of going to the Gardai and that’s totally fine, but nobody is reliving the horrible experiences they’ve had for “dopamine hits”.

I actually find it quite hard to talk about here, so I’ve been trying to dip in and out and not get sucked in too much because some of the experiences I had when I was younger left me feeling really broken and it hurts to have them laughed at, minimised, questioned or dismissed here.

But I also feel like I have to to a certain extend to
    challenge some of the misconceptions people have about why women don’t report.

That’s a really disgusting opinion to have of the dozens of women who have spoken out in Ireland over the weekend about the prevalence of sexual misconduct in wrestling, comedy and politics in this instance.

It says a lot about you.

You may not agree with using Twitter instead of going to the Gardai and that’s totally fine, but nobody is reliving the horrible experiences they’ve had for “dopamine hits”.

I actually find it quite hard to talk about here, so I’ve been trying to dip in and out and not get sucked in too much because some of the experiences I had when I was younger left me feeling really broken and it hurts to have them laughed at, minimised, questioned or dismissed here.

But I also feel like I have to to a certain extend to
    challenge some of the misconceptions people have about why women don’t report.

The difference is that you are anonymous on this forum and i am not referring to you at all. I believe what you are saying and i do genuinely sympathise with you.

On social media though, people are making audacious claims under their own real names. Im not saying the case in the OP is one, but there is certainly plenty trying to hop on the victim bandwagon. For every genuine victim, there is a cohort of chancers and Twitter has become one big looney farm of vaccous, smug, virtue signalling, snakes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

The difference is that you are anonymous on this forum and i am not referring to you at all. I believe what you are saying and i do genuinely sympathise with you.

On social media though, people are making audacious claims under their own real names. Im not saying the case in the OP is one, but there is certainly plenty trying to hop on the victim bandwagon. For every genuine victim, there is a cohort of chancers and Twitter has become one big looney farm of vaccous, smug, virtue signalling, snakes

Why would you assume that women jump on the bandwagon and cry sexual assault?
    There are a handful of mentally ill people that make up accusations of all sorts for drama, attention or for whatever reason but that doesnt account for the majority of women speaking up. Women have been speaking up for years now and have been dismissed, belittled, shouted down and disbelieved - This is why women dont go to the gaurds, the odds are almost never in their favour and they are constantly accused of lying, exaggerating or looking for attention.

Imagine being a victim of rape, speaking up about it to raise awareness along with thousands of others who have experienced similar only to be told that youre an attention seeker and a chancer.
    Women cant depend on the justice system to protect us, it has failed women more times than not.

The more women that speak out publicly about rape and sexual abuse the less accepted it will become and hopefully, we'll all eventually live in a much more safe and equal society. That wont happen if women continue to keep their mouths shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Yes none of us here know the full story and while I think the likes of twitter is a terrible platform for serious issues and can do damage with misunderstanding I guess if this woman posting the story helps even one other avoid this gowlbag politician then it worth the risk and discomfort to any innocent politician wrongly associated with it. If they are good men, then they'll think it worth iy too.

Of course this means potential victims have to correctly guess at who this "man" is.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »

Is this woman saying she left Ireland because of this incident?

Or did she leave for other reasons and is just stating that she is okay despite the incident?

If the incident is the cause then something worse must have happened.

The problem with this attitude is that it’s just not true.

I challenge you to back up the statement that for every genuine victim there’s a cohort of chancers.

You won’t be able to, because it’s not true.

As I’ve said repeatedly through this thread, every major study that’s been done on false allegations suggests they are thankfully rare.

Rape, on the other hand, is not rare.

That’s why you see rape cases in the news all the time (and that’s just the small proportion that actually get reported) but it’s rare to see a news report of a false allegation. Not never, but rare.

It’s also why women on this thread are sharing their real, lived experiences of sexual assault while men are talking in hypotheticals about what might happen if a man were falsely accused.

There are far more men on this thread than women: of being falsely accused is so common, why aren’t they speaking up to tell there stories as women on the thread are.

The answer is because rape and sexual assault are far more prevalent in irish society than false allegations of rape and sexual assault.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

There are far more men on this thread than women: of being falsely accused is so common, why aren’t they speaking up to tell there stories as women on the thread are.

Because women are manipulative liars and 'chancers' obvs :rolleyes:

*Sarcasm*

Because women are manipulative liars and 'chancers' obvs :rolleyes:

*Sarcasm*

Tonight I can’t sleep because I’m thinking about the man who groomed me online in the early 2000s and made me give him a blow job when I was 13/14 and had barely even kissed boys never mind gone that far.

I’m thinking about how I assumed I’d get in trouble for sneaking out to meet him so I never told my parents, and haven’t to this day.

I’m thinking about how he told me he was 29 but admitted when we met that he was 42. I remember him taunting me about having sucked a 42 year old’s cock after.

This was almost 20 years ago now. I don’t remember his name, and I assume it was fake anyway. I remember the site we met on though, and that I reported him on it the next day. I didn’t get a reply.

I only told one friend and I asked him recently if he remembered. He does and I’m so glad about that. His memories will never be used to corroborate my story in court or in the media or on Twitter.

But I’m glad my friend remembers.

This is just one story of mine, but it’s the one that’s keeping me up tonight.

Tonight I can’t sleep because I’m thinking about the man who groomed me online in the early 2000s and made me give him a blow job when I was 13/14 and had barely even kissed boys never mind gone that far.

I’m thinking about how I assumed I’d get in trouble for sneaking out to meet him so I never told my parents, and haven’t to this day.

I’m thinking about how he told me he was 29 but admitted when we met that he was 42. I remember him taunting me about having sucked a 42 year old’s cock after.

This was almost 20 years ago now. I don’t remember his name, and I assume it was fake anyway. I remember the site we met on though, and that I reported him on it the next day. I didn’t get a reply.

I only told one friend and I asked him recently if he remembered. He does and I’m so glad about that. His memories will never be used to corroborate my story in court or in the media or on Twitter.

This sounds remarkably like a Liveline call I heard recently.

I hope you got the benefit of counselling.

You should still consider going to the gardai. I think the person involved on live line has recently progressed with the gardai even though many years later.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

That's really awful. Thinking of you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

I'm curious to know what website you're referring to. If you exchanged emails with this predator there still may be a way to trace him all these years later. I remember how a well-known poster here on Boards.ie revealed how she was sexually assaulted by a moderator at a Boards beers meet up. She claimed admins knew about the incident but it was brushed off as drunken banter. The mod was eventually forced to resign after universal outcry from the Boards.ie community. Readers may be able to find the thread but I won't link it here.

We all laugh at the caricature of the anti-social internet hermit, but this caricature exists for a reason. Awkward, anti-social losers who can't get any attention in real life are drawn to the internet as it is the only way they can interact with other humans. Think of the users with post counts in the tens of thousands...usually moderators who treat it as their vocation. In my early days of surfing the web in the early 2000s, the internet was treated with a healthy dose of skepticism and wariness. "You never know who you could be talking to online. It could be a serial killer. Never give personal details". Generation Z these days have no such hang ups as they were raised with social media and broadcasting every single aspect of their life is seen as the norm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Don't understand how awful stories of abuse and repeated emotive use of the word rape has become so prominent in this thread. A man put a hand on her leg.

Conflation of every inappropriate annoyance with the absolute horror of rape does not serve anyone. Least of all those raped. It must be horrible for someone who has been forcibly compelled into sex acts to find their experience evaluated as gathered into a single nexus of sexual assault which includes a touched leg evoking almost equivalent horror.

It is not rational if there is no spectrum of assaults weighted by traumatic interference and if assaults along that spectrum do not evoke nuanced responses in observers as they increase in severity. It would make a total ass out of a justice system for a start if the level of severity is not a prominent factor - you would have people equally reviled and punished for stealing a bag of crisps as for violently robbing an old lady.

For what it is worth I believe it is very likely that she is telling the truth. But what a manufactured storm that serves her nothing. Those who argue that it draws attention to something people don't know about must believe the world was made yesterday and that up until the warriors came along we have all been dribbling fools.

Gruffalox wrote: »
    Don't understand how awful stories of abuse and repeated emotive use of the word rape has become so prominent in this thread. A man put a hand on her leg.

Conflation of every inappropriate annoyance with the absolute horror of rape does not serve anyone. Least of all those raped. It must be horrible for someone who has been forcibly compelled into sex acts to find their experience evaluated as gathered into a single nexus of sexual assault which includes a touched leg evoking almost equivalent horror.

It is not rational if there is no spectrum of assaults weighted by traumatic interference and if assaults along that spectrum do not evoke nuanced responses in observers as they increase in severity. It would make a total ass out of a justice system for a start if the level of severity is not a prominent factor - you would have people equally reviled and punished for stealing a bag of crisps as for violently robbing an old lady.

For what it is worth I believe it is very likely that she is telling the truth. But what a manufactured storm that serves her nothing. Those who argue that it draws attention to something people don't know about must believe the world was made yesterday and that up until the warriors came along we have all been dribbling fools.

The woman on twitter did not say the the politician out his hand on her leg. The phrase is “put his hand UP my leg”.

Who are to say how anyone should feel about that?

How do you know that this “man” is not capable of worse?

I agree that twitter or any social media is not the place for anything serious but where was she to say it.

Liveline maybe? I don’t know

The woman on twitter did not say the the politician out his hand on her leg. The phrase “put his hand UP my leg”.

No one should make allegations on Twitter about a known group of people and then leave suspicion hang over them all. From what I read on here early yesterday morning it was very clear people had decided on a culprit, they all but printed his name. I imagine it is pretty rough for him, his wife, his children, for him to be alleged on a public platform to be a sex offender. THAT is about all the irresponsible tweet achieved beyond attention seeking.

What you are actually doing now is stoking a witch hunt by saying how do we know he is not capable of worse. That is why civilised societies have due process and not mob rule, or people whispering incitement to the lynching parties from the cheap seats.

And as a woman who has had many an unwanted grope I can say that yeah, they are fairly tame compared to other events. Perspective and knowing the weight of things are mature faculties of reason.

• Advertisement

If I was a counsellor who had just been counselling a brutally raped woman I would find it impossible to muster an equivalent level of honest emotion if the next client was in to rebuild her life after a hand was put on her leg. I am a very empathetic person who people often confide in, but if the fact of my inability to emote equally for a passing grope as for a rape makes me a savage, I accept it.

coinop wrote: »
    I'm curious to know what website you're referring to. If you exchanged emails with this predator there still may be a way to trace him all these years later. I remember how a well-known poster here on Boards.ie revealed how she was sexually assaulted by a moderator at a Boards beers meet up. She claimed admins knew about the incident but it was brushed off as drunken banter. The mod was eventually forced to resign after universal outcry from the Boards.ie community. Readers may be able to find the thread but I won't link it here.

We all laugh at the caricature of the anti-social internet hermit, but this caricature exists for a reason. Awkward, anti-social losers who can't get any attention in real life are drawn to the internet as it is the only way they can interact with other humans. Think of the users with post counts in the tens of thousands...usually moderators who treat it as their vocation. In my early days of surfing the web in the early 2000s, the internet was treated with a healthy dose of skepticism and wariness. "You never know who you could be talking to online. It could be a serial killer. Never give personal details". Generation Z these days have no such hang ups as they were raised with social media and broadcasting every single aspect of their life is seen as the norm.

Agree 100% with most of what you said, but specifically throwing shade at mods is not one, and this from someone who's unlikely to be sharing Christmas cards with them.

That girl (also a mod) was a gem of a poster. It's a pity she stepped down as a mod and left altogether I think. It was a real shame she felt the need to do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

The woman on twitter did not say the the politician out his hand on her leg. The phrase is “put his hand UP my leg”.

I agree that twitter or any social media is not the place for anything serious but where was she to say it.

Liveline maybe? I don’t know

Gardai confidential line, then at least its officially recorded...

No one should make allegations on Twitter about a known group of people and then leave suspicion hang over them all. From what I read on here early yesterday morning it was very clear people had decided on a culprit, they all but printed his name. I imagine it is pretty rough for him, his wife, his children, for him to be alleged on a public platform to be a sex offender. THAT is about all the irresponsible tweet achieved beyond attention seeking.

What you are actually doing now is stoking a witch hunt by saying how do we know he is not capable of worse. That is why civilised societies have due process and not mob rule, or people whispering incitement to the lynching parties from the cheap seats.

And as a woman who has had many an unwanted grope I can say that yeah, they are fairly tame compared to other events. Perspective and knowing the weight of things are mature faculties of reason.

There was more to my post and I’ve questioned many times here the wisdom of of using social media for anything serious or important.

I have not seen any posts here that all but name that man. People have claimed to know who he is but I haven’t a clue.

Please explain how my question about what could he capable of is “stoking a witch hunt”? I doubt very much that there will be people carrying placards around quoting some randomer on this site.

Being a woman who was groped doesn’t mean you know how all other women will feel. It is tame to you but not to the woman on twitter.

I posted earlier that my wife has been groped and “men” have attempted to grope and attempted worse. She has made every one of them has regret it. So I don’t understand how other women are afraid to react (like in this case why not kick up a stink - it was group in a house or restaurant) but then my wife is an unusually tough cookie so n I know not everyone feels the same way about things.

If I was a counsellor who had just been counselling a brutally raped woman I would find it impossible to muster an equivalent level of honest emotion if the next client was in to rebuild her life after a hand was put on her leg. I am a very empathetic person who people often confide in, but if the fact of my inability to emote equally for a passing grope as for a rape makes me a savage, I accept it.

The woman on twitter did not claim she was raped and I don’t think she made her experience a comparison.

I do believe that that there was a more serious incident before or after this one involving a different man.

There was more to my post and I’ve questioned many times here the wisdom of of using social media for anything serious or important.

I have not seen any posts here that all but name that man. People have claimed to know who he is but I haven’t a clue.

Please explain how my question about what could he capable of is “stoking a witch hunt”? I doubt very much that there will be people carrying placards around quoting some randomer on this site.

Being a woman who was groped doesn’t mean you know how all other women will feel. It is tame to you but not to the woman on twitter.

I posted earlier that my wife has groped and “men” have attempted to grope and attempted worse. She has made every one of them has regret it. So I don’t understand how other women are afraid to react (like in this case why not kick up a stink - it was group in a house or restaurant) but then my wife is an unusually tough cookie so n I know not everyone feels the same way about things.

Look it, I already explained I am inclined to roar not whimper if groped. And that is what people should do. Report. Roar. Object. Kick up a stink. Call the guards. But this crap on twitter about unnamable senior politicians is silly.

Yoi were not up early enough obviously to read the exact unmistakable descriptions of who people believe it to be.

People should not encourage neurotic fragility in thenselves or others. There is more than enough brutal stuff out there to be broken by without manufacturing excessive trauma.

The woman on twitter did not claim she was raped and I don’t think she made her experience a comparison.

I do believe that that there was a more serious incident before or after this one involving a different man.

And what has a different event got to do with her tweet?
    The comparison has been made on this thread - it was that equivalence or comparison I find baffling.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,654 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

She may not have, but the problem here is the myriad of actions that fall under "sexual assault".... From hearing a crass joke all the way to violent rape.

Thus the thread title here states that she was sexually assaulted. This terminology had lead to the many references to rape in this thread.

Gardai confidential line, then at least its officially recorded...

I agree and I think maybe she did - not sure - but that probably provides little comfort or help to the next person.

No argument here about social media being an unhealthy outlet - I was just saying I don’t know where could she tell her story more responsibly. And if the politician makes a habit of this kind of thing doesn’t she have a duty to try to warn others? Not saying anything means a bad thing can happen to someone else

• Advertisement

Look it, I already explained I am inclined to roar not whimper if groped. And that is what people should do. Report. Roar. Object. Kick up a stink. Call the guards. But this crap on twitter about unnamable senior politicians is silly.

Yoi were not up early enough obviously to read the exact unmistakable descriptions of who people believe it to be.

People should not encourage neurotic fragility in thenselves or others. There is more than enough brutal stuff out there to be broken by without manufacturing excessive trauma.

.Agree totally that women should cause uproar and as I said I don’t understand why they don’t but people are different and circumstances are different and so they don’t.

I never said the politician wasn’t “all but named” in this thread. I was just saying I had seen that.

Where have I encouraged “neurotic fragility”?

Advertisement