Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

“Senior politician, household name” sexually assaults girl [** NO NAMES **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

I agree and I think maybe she did - not sure - but that probably provides little comfort or help to the next person.

No argument here about social media being an unhealthy outlet - I was just saying I don’t know where could she tell her story more responsibly. And if the politician makes a habit of this kind of thing doesn’t she have a duty to try to warn others? Not saying anything means a bad thing can happen to someone else

Of whom has she warned others? Do you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Gruffalox wrote: »
    And what has a different event got to do with her tweet?
    The comparison has been made on this thread - it was that equivalence or comparison I find baffling.

The comparison being made on this thread has nothing to do with the woman on twitter.

Your post seemed to be claiming she was making the comparison?

The comparison being made on this thread has nothing to do with the woman on twitter.

Your post seemed to be claiming she was making the comparison?

Here. My post. "In this thread" I said

"Don't understand how awful stories of abuse and repeated emotive use of the word rape has become so prominent in this thread. A man put a hand on her leg"

sydthebeat wrote: »
    She may not have, but the problem here is the myriad of actions that fall under "sexual assault".... From hearing a crass joke all the way to violent rape.

Thus the thread title here states that she was sexually assaulted. This terminology had lead to the many references to rape in this thread.

My comment was about the woman herself.

There is criticism of her for things she hasn’t said.

What other people post here is a different matter.

There is also the assumption by people on the thread that it was “just a grope”.

When is does a grope become a sexual assault?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,653 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

When is does a grope become a sexual assault?

A grope IS sexual assault.

Rape IS sexual assault.

Therein lies part of the problem

• Advertisement

When is dies a grope become a sexual assault?

That is an interesting question. Every situation has a particular weight of its own. It is impossible to approach the question however if there is literally no nuance or perspective. A child could be held in place by a hand on a leg and be terrified. A girl or boy could have their bottom pinched in passing while taking a selfie at the Trevi fountain. While both are assaults the seriousness of these events is quite different.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Is this woman saying she left Ireland because of this incident?

Or did she leave for other reasons and is just stating that she is okay despite the incident?

If the incident is the cause then something worse must have happened.

I don't know I just quoted it to point out how she's been through a court process with evidence and was let down, when people were criticising her for not doing that.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Some people think they can touch people without consent such as a touch on the shoulder, forearm or knee.
    Shoulders and forearms are really not assault. Even with a knee you'd do well to get charges pursued. What you can and should do is speak up and say you are not comfortable with being touched. I know someone who is a natural toucher and nobody has tried to have her charged yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Get up the yard with your nonsense, so traumatized that you couldn't report it for a year. And you are an adult female in these metoo times.

The problem with that way of thinking is that it opens up the floodgates for any scorned ex girlfriend/lover of a male to come forward and attempt to destroy a mans life if she is bitter about him moving on, happy with someone else. And yes, this does happen.

Far too common nowadays. Giving any sex the freedom to make allegations against the other without proper proof and proper procedure whilst destroying the other persons life is a dangerous precedent to set.

Wow what a crock of sh!t. You really believe it is that easy for someone to report rape or sexual assault? There are so many factors which would prevent someone from reporting the above.

My sister was raped repeatedly by a close non family member for near on a year. It started when she was 14. Her story came out 3 years ago. She is now 40. It took a lot for her to come out and tell her story. She was terrified no one would believe her, a very common idea in a rape victims mindset. It was the meetoo movment which encouraged her to speak out and boy are we glad she did. It went a long way to explain why she acted so erratically over the years....she held this traumatic event inside for so long. Thankfully she has had the strength to go forward with her case despite the frequency of which she would hit rock bottom, times that have dominated her life since it happened.

Of course there are people out there who are exploiting the metoo campaign and if it is established that they are falsely accusing someone then they absolutely should be punished. Unfortunately these things are never straightforward and there is never a winner on any side no matter the outcome.

One thing for sure is that the real victims are the ones who suffer the most and stupid posts like yours really shows the ignorance of some people. Your post along with many others on this thread is pretty stupid but i am not surprised either. Boards is full of ignorant fools.

Gruffalox wrote: »
    Of whom has she warned others? Do you know?

What I meant was that if it happened to someone else and they went to the guards it would provide little comfort for them to here it had been reported in the last.

And I’m saying that the woman has a responsibility to warn others if this politician is in the habit of it.

I don’t think I said she had actually warmed or helped others.

• Advertisement

A grope IS sexual assault.

Rape IS sexual assault.

Therein lies part of the problem

If they sexual assault then what is the problem with calling them sexual assault?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

coinop wrote: »
    Do you believe women or will you demand proof?

https://mobile.twitter.com/taisling/status/1274649516491366401

Proof.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Shoulders and forearms are really not assault. Even with a knee you'd do well to get charges pursued. What you can and should do is speak up and say you are not comfortable with being touched. I know someone who is a natural toucher and nobody has tried to have her charged yet.

I don’t think trillionfox meant they are assaults but there people who touch for bad reasons.

A guy tapping a Co-worker or employee on the arm or putting a hand on their shoulder to get their attention is fine but like leaving the hand there changes it to something else.

And yes people should speak up but not everyone is able to.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,653 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If they sexual assault then what is the problem with calling them sexual assault?

As you yourself have alluded to in your last post.... There are many degrees of severity of action. The thread title states she was sexually assaulted, yet the difference in severity has posters relaying rape situations whereas others relay situations of unwanted touching.

This "problem" I'm referring to is a major reason this thread is already 37 pages long. This overarching terminology serves to only reduce the impact of sever cases and inflate the severness of lesser ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

Rodin wrote: »
    Proof.

that's not proof of anything

an unverified twitter profile making a vague allegation about nobody

what is it proof of?

that's not proof of anything

an unverified twitter profile making a vague allegation about nobody

what is it proof of?

I do not believe Robin’s posts means that he considers the twitter to be proof

As you yourself have alluded to in your last post.... There are many degrees of severity of action. The thread title states she was sexually assaulted, yet the difference in severity has posters relaying rape situations whereas others relay situations of unwanted touching.

This "problem" I'm referring to is a major reason this thread is already 37 pages long. This overarching terminology serves to only reduce the impact of sever cases and inflate the severness of lesser ones.

It is all over the place alright

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I agree and I think maybe she did - not sure - but that probably provides little comfort or help to the next person.

No argument here about social media being an unhealthy outlet - I was just saying I don’t know where could she tell her story more responsibly. And if the politician makes a habit of this kind of thing doesn’t she have a duty to try to warn others? Not saying anything means a bad thing can happen to someone else

Her first duty is to herself and if she did not report it properly she can only protect others by naming the person involved.
    She has said nothing from what i seen in original post as no person named.
    On this basis i be doubtful of the whole accusation.

This would be my take on the whole thing too..

The words 'Rape', and to a lesser extent 'Sexual Assault' hold a certain gravity that shouldn't be diluted..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

This would be my take on the whole thing too..

The words 'Rape', and to a lesser extent 'Sexual Assault' hold a certain gravity that shouldn't be diluted..

That’s why I described what happened to this woman as sexual misconduct and the time I was forced to give a man in his 40s a blow job at 13 as sexual assault.

It is important to label these things properly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Her first duty is to herself and if she did not report it properly she can only protect others by naming the person involved.
    She has said nothing from what i seen in original post as no person named.
    On this basis i be doubtful of the whole accusation.

That’s a fairly flimsy reason to doubt she’s telling the truth. She’s offered a very reasonable explanation of why she hasn’t named the person involved: Irish defamation laws combined with the fact that he is wealthier and more powerful than her make it risky for her to do so.

She wanted to tell her story as I did here last night, and I completely understand that.

The rush to assume she’s lying on here makes me really sad. The idea that lots of young women are telling stories like this for social media kudos suggests people have a very low opinion of them.

It’s much, much easier for me to believe a politician got handsy with this girl than that she’d randomly make it up.

You guys obviously have a very high degree of faith in senior irish politicians compared with young women. I know which group I have more reason to doubt when it comes to ethics and morals.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

I have heard the name of the politician in question and it is not the first time I have heard this about him. I know a second girl he did almost exactly the same thing to.

canonball5 wrote: »
    I have heard the name of the politician in question and it is not the first time I have heard this about him. I know a second girl he did almost exactly the same thing to.

I see nothing about this story outside of the boards

• Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Is this politician still in the dail or retired

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Sheep_shear

I know someone who says she's lying.

Can you prove any of what say?

Is this politician still in the dail or retired

He's still a member of FG and a senior member.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Sheep_shear

Can you prove any of what say?

You want more evidence than my anonymous, forum post? Really?

Well the person I heard who it was is the same person who did almost exactly the same thing to my friends wife.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

FFS. She should consider herself lucky she isn't a survivor of abuse. If she was, she might actually think twice about using something like this to garner attention. Idiot.

Advertisement