Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

“Senior politician, household name” sexually assaults girl [** NO NAMES **]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭mr_fegelien

Not to go off topic but does anyone know why you seldom hear of women as the perpetrators "MeToo" movement. I remember Asia Argento but that's it, seems way way more common to have men assaulting women than the other way around.

Is it cultural or biological?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

KiKi III wrote: »
    And I’m grateful that the few friends and boyfriends I’ve told have believed me, because why would I make it up?

I’m in no way claiming you made up your assaults but I think it’s quite obvious why some women would do so: they want attention. Social media has a strange hold on people, particularly young women. A recent study stated Irish women are the most depressed in Europe. They feel worthless without the constant stream of internet likes and validation pouring in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

What if there is no proof?

Hypothetical: Let’s say I was raped a year ago and only able to come forward now due to the trauma.

There is no physical evidence now. No proof, as such.

But in this hypothetical scenario the rape absolutely definitely happened. You want proof but there isn’t any. It’s my word against his.

Should I be allowed to speak out? Name my rapist to the Gardaí? To my own friends?

Or do I have to put up and shut up forever because I didn’t have the strength to report there and then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Same. I see absolutely no point in reporting the times I’ve been assaulted to the Gardaí. That does not mean they didn’t happen.

And I’m grateful that the few friends and boyfriends I’ve told have believed me, because why would I make it up?

Well, exactly. Relating events like that are at best really embarrassing and at worst traumatic. Not exactly something you’d say for the craic. The first person I told was my husband, 16 years after the event took place. Like I said, I really was okay after the assault because it was non-violent (but still unambiguously sexual assault. Fingers were inserted) but it just kinda came up one night. Sometimes there will be a catalyst to relating an event in your life and that can be many years later.

coinop wrote: »
    I’m in no way claiming you made up your assaults but I think it’s quite obvious why some women would do so: they want attention. Social media has a strange hold on people, particularly young women. A recent study stated Irish women are the most depressed in Europe. They feel worthless without the constant stream of internet likes and validation pouring in.

If she was attention seeking she’d make up a better story than an unnamed politician ran his hand up my leg years ago.

You seem to think very little of young women based on the post above.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

Same. I see absolutely no point in reporting the times I’ve been assaulted to the Gardaí. That does not mean they didn’t happen.

There could be any amount of reasons why people make up accusations like this.

Could be attention seeking,could be the first subtle hint at the politician that if money isnt handed over there will be more revealing publicity,could be blackmail for access to power or favours,could be just for followers.

Well, exactly. Relating events like that are at best really embarrassing and at worst traumatic. Not exactly something you’d say for the craic. The first person I told was my husband, 16 years after the event took place. Like I said, I really was okay after the assault because it was non-violent (but still unambiguously sexual assault. Fingers were inserted) but it just kinda came up one night. Sometimes there will be a catalyst to relating an event in your life and that can be many years later.

I was assaulted a number of times by different men between the ages of 13 and 22.

I’m 32 now and pushed it all down and forgot about it for years. But the last few years have really brought it all back. Between the Belfast rape trial and the Repeal campaign people were talking about rape non-stop for six months in 2018. Reading some of the online commentary really brought it back up.

The Brett Kavanaugh confirmation showed me that even though I remember the assaults vividly, the fact that I can’t remember what the weather was like that day or exactly how many drinks I had at a party half a lifetime ago meant I would be ripped apart.

As #SpeakingOut started trending again over the weekend and I read other women’s stories I started feeling really depressed again, I called the DRCC even though it felt a little dramatic to do that 10 years later and I’m going to go there for some counselling.

My inclination is to believe women, because I know the stats for false rape allegations are incredibly low (look up the studies done by the FBI and LAPD) and because they tally with my own life experiences.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭oyvey

Hypothetical: Let’s say I was raped a year ago and only able to come forward now due to the trauma.

But in this hypothetical scenario the rape absolutely definitely happened. You want proof but there isn’t any. It’s my word against his.

Should I be allowed to speak out? Name my rapist to the Gardaí? To my own friends?

Or do I have to put up and shut up forever because I didn’t have the strength to report there and then?

Not 'put up and shut'. You'd be entitled to wait as long as you'd want/need to, but surely you can understand that the longer you wait the harder it gets to prove these things.

tipptom wrote: »
    There could be any amount of reasons why people make up accusations like this.

Could be attention seeking,could be the first subtle hint at the politician that if money isnt handed over there will be more revealing publicity,could be blackmail for access to power or favours,could be just for followers.

I urge you to read the SAVI report before you make any further comment on this stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

If she was attention seeking she’d make up a better story than an unnamed politician ran his hand up my leg years ago.

You seem to think very little of young women based on the post above.

Well funny you should mention that...it is exactly what Sil Fox, an 87 year old man was recently accused of, the DPP sent the case to court despite the existence of CCTV footage exonerating him, subjecting the elderly man to an horrific ordeal, his name was all over the media her's wasn't.

https://www.thejournal.ie/sil-fox-sexual-assault-cleared-courts-5109092-May2020/

Headbangers be headbangers!!! And they are everywhere.

• Advertisement

oyvey wrote: »
    Not 'put up and shut'. You'd be entitled to wait as long as you'd want/need to, but surely you can understand that the longer you wait the harder it gets to prove these things.

I do understand that. But even for women who come forward immediately, justice is rarely served.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭mikemac2

My drink was spiked = I drugged myself with excessive amounts of alcohol

The HSE website states
    Some small case studies have suggested that, of all the people who report to accident and emergency (A&E) departments with claims that their drink has been spiked, very few test positive for an unknown substance.

https://www.hse.ie/eng/health/az/d/date-rape-drugs/incidence-of-drink-spiking.html

You made a bad decision, hey take a cop out and say your drink was spiked. Lads who do something stupid like maybe vandalise cars or set off fire extinguishers in hotels do the drink spiking excuse also

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Accusations played out on social media I take with a pinch of salt.

Generally though I tend not to believe anything without proof.

jrosen wrote: »
    Accusations played out on social media I take with a pinch of salt.

Generally though I tend not to believe anything without proof.

How do you prove it though?

If one party says it was consensual and the other says it wasn’t. Even when there’s evidence of violence the guy says “yeah, we had rough sex, she wanted it.”

Short of CCTV, what evidence would satisfy you beyond a reasonable doubt?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,345 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Mr Sheen and Mr Muscle must be quaking in their boots now.

Go to the guards and gtfo Twitter, if this is even real.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,585 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

coinop wrote: »
    Tell the girl that and be prepared to get called every name under the sun. Possibly they will contact your employer in an attempt to get you fired, drag your name in the mud. The only acceptable response to the cult is “I believe you” complete with heart emoji.

Meh

• Registered Users Posts: 25,585 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

That’s so f**ked up.

If you said, until the guards are involved I would reserve my opinion, that would be fair.

Assuming anyone who hasn’t gone to the guards is a liar is horrendous.

I'm not calling her a liar, I'm just not jumping on the old accusations = guilty bandwagon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

Get up the yard with your nonsense, so traumatized that you couldn't report it for a year. And you are an adult female in these metoo times.

The problem with that way of thinking is that it opens up the floodgates for any scorned ex girlfriend/lover of a male to come forward and attempt to destroy a mans life if she is bitter about him moving on, happy with someone else. And yes, this does happen.

Far too common nowadays. Giving any sex the freedom to make allegations against the other without proper proof and proper procedure whilst destroying the other persons life is a dangerous precedent to set.

Get up the yard with your nonsense, so traumatized that you couldn't report it for a year. And you are an adult female in these metoo times.

The problem with that way of thinking is that it opens up the floodgates for any scorned ex girlfriend/lover of a male to come forward and attempt to destroy a mans life if she is bitter about him moving on, happy with someone else. And yes, this does happen.

Far too common nowadays. Giving any sex the freedom to make allegations against the other without proper proof and proper procedure whilst destroying the other persons life is a dangerous precedent to set.

Please, please go and read the FBI and LAPD studies on false rape allegations which show it is extremely rare. Your opinion on this is not based on fact.

Please also read the SAVI Report.

And as I mentioned on the last page, the first time I was assaulted I was 13 and MeToo had not happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

How do you prove it though?

If one party says it was consensual and the other says it wasn’t. Even when there’s evidence of violence the guy says “yeah, we had rough sex, she wanted it.”

Short of CCTV, what evidence would satisfy you beyond a reasonable doubt?

Not really a question that can be answered hypothetically

• Advertisement

I'm not calling her a liar, I'm just not jumping on the old accusations = guilty bandwagon

What you said was you consider it made up stories unless there is a Garda allegation.

I was assaulted a number of times by different men between the ages of 13 and 22.

I’m 32 now and pushed it all down and forgot about it for years. But the last few years have really brought it all back. Between the Belfast rape trial and the Repeal campaign people were talking about rape non-stop for six months in 2018. Reading some of the online commentary really brought it back up.

The Brett Kavanaugh confirmation showed me that even though I remember the assaults vividly, the fact that I can’t remember what the weather was like that day or exactly how many drinks I had at a party half a lifetime ago meant I would be ripped apart.

As #SpeakingOut started trending again over the weekend and I read other women’s stories I started feeling really depressed again, I called the DRCC even though it felt a little dramatic to do that 10 years later and I’m going to go there for some counselling.

My inclination is to believe women, because I know the stats for false rape allegations are incredibly low (look up the studies done by the FBI and LAPD) and because they tally with my own life experiences.

The stats for false rape accusations are incredibly low!!! How do you know that? Unless you have proper evidence that men accused and sometimes those who have been unfortunately convicted as a result of false accusations were done so as a way of a false accusation of rape, then we have no way of knowing.

Truth of the matter is, there are many men in prison I have no doubt as a result of a false accusation of rape, look at the amount of men freed in modern times as a result of dna evidence coming to light from false convictions of rape.

Also, how likely is a woman to admit she made up the accusation if she is looking at possible jail time herself, not likely. And also, its highly unlikely the prosecution and their respective offices would want to look like complete idiots either so no doubt about it, there will be an element of coercion on their part.

If a woman has been raped, report it to the relevant authorities, be consistent in what you are saying and no doubt you will see justice in these metoo times.

As you said previously, its her word against his, why should we believe her if she is not consistent or credible in what she is saying. You can talk about nonsense reports all you like but the truth of the matter is, alot of woman especially in the states are coming out with accusations without a proper basis of proof.

If it was your son or partner accused, you would think differently no doubt.

The stats for false rape accusations are incredibly low!!! How do you know that? Unless you have proper evidence that men accused and sometimes those who have been unfortunately convicted as a result of false accusations were done so as a way of a false accusation of rape, then we have no way of knowing.

Truth of the matter is, there are many men in prison I have no doubt as a result of a false accusation of rape, look at the amount of men freed in modern times as a result of dna evidence coming to light from false convictions of rape.

Also, how likely is a woman to admit she made up the accusation if she is looking at possible jail time herself, not likely. And also, its highly unlikely the prosecution and their respective offices would want to look like complete idiots either so no doubt about it, there will be an element of coercion on their part.

If a woman has been raped, report it to the relevant authorities, be consistent in what you are saying and no doubt you will see justice in these metoo times.

Read the FBI and LAPD studies on the matter.

I am basing my opinion on data from widely respected police departments. You are basing yours on nothing other than your own thoughts plucked from the air.

So I would respectfully ask you to better educate yourself on the topic before weighing in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

the fact its on twitter and not with the gardai I'm hearing about it already sets believability around 25% in my book.
    She's got pronouns on her twitter, were now down to 10%

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭robinbird

There has been a spate of rape accusations on twitter in recent days. With the men " named and shamed"
    Will thousands of likes and " I believe her" support. But women can and do make false accusations. No real comeback for them . Even anonymity but they get to destroy someone's name and reputation.
    Even in this case if it was true. The accusation is that a man put his hand on the leg of a woman in her twenties. With others present but she said nothing. Until years later on Twitter.

the fact its on twitter and not with the gardai I'm hearing about it already sets believability around 25% in my book.

You guys have awfully high faith in the Gardaí. I didn’t report the assaults that happened me as an adult because I could not prove the sex wasn’t consensual.

And without proof, you have no case.

But that doesn’t change the fact that I was assaulted.

Read the FBI and LAPD studies on the matter.

I am basing my opinion on data from widely respected police departments. You are basing yours on nothing other than your own thoughts plucked from the air.

So I would respectfully ask you to better educate yourself on the topic before weighing in again.

I am very educated on that matter thank you very much and I dont need to read bull**** reports from police departments that have a long history of convicting innocent men on false accusations of rape in a country a long distance away from ours.

Link the reports in your next post and I will gladly contradict them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Okay. Wrong side of the line again from me! Why the hell was he not wearing his dinner 2 seconds later? It was a public setting, she was in her 20s.

And before anyone says I dont understand. I do. I know the difference between being helpless when assaulted and being safe to be able to bawl someone out of it.
    When I was 18 a senior politician dragged me onto his lap at a dinner party - I would say his ears are still ringing from the instant bollocking I gave him.
    Fathers, raise your girls to be ferocious. Mine did.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Wibbs wrote: »
    I don't believe anyone without proof and a tweet doesn't cut it. That's why we invented laws and courts of law. Anything else is mob rule.

Mob rule is all the rage currently.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

She is adamant she won’t name this guy - so she is empowering him to do this at Will into the future ??

Advertisement