Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

“Senior politician, household name” sexually assaults girl [** NO NAMES **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

brooke 2 wrote: »
    Balderdash!! The person whom they raped knows for sure they're a rapist!! :mad:

Except when the court decides it wasn't rape... like the Belfast 2

• Registered Users Posts: 20,380 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Do ppl have any issue with multiple names being thrown around like confetti on social media with zero evidence of wrongdoing

Yes, of course. Without evidence nobody should make accusations against named people like that. A few posters have thrown around names (and descriptions) in this thread. The examples in this thread have been people who claim they worry about innocent people falling under suspicion, but then some of those same posters went and suggested politicians who's politics they don't like. Sadly predictable.

I keep saying one man in particular coming up repeatedly.

A...politician by the name of....

Have the decency to not repeat the name if it's just speculation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Have the decency to not repeat the name if it's just speculation.

Iv heard enough about him to know its possible. He is the embodiment of political corruption and cronyism.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,472 ✭✭✭brooke 2

Rodin wrote: »
    Except when the court decides it wasn't rape... like the Belfast 2

If a person is raped, she/he does not need anyone else to tell her/him it is so. Trying to prove it in a court of law is a separate issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

brooke 2 wrote: »
    If a person is raped, she/he does not need anyone else to tell her/him it is so. Trying to prove it in a court of law is a separate issue.

Especially when it didn't happen....
    Even the forensics didn't back up her story

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

Auld Shamey? Haha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Auld Shamey? Haha.

https://youtu.be/VcQe9JmtCEc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I see long serving renowned Mayo TD Séamus Mortimer is the subject of a pile on over on twitter this evening.

And all he did for Mayo and Castletown. He fixed the roads. You would never have thought it he was at that carry on.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

banie01 wrote: »
    Who may be probably be being confused with his brother, who'd have form for this kind of think? ;)

This hurts my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,156 ✭✭✭screamer

Holy moly and google will set you free, I can’t believe what info is there and published....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,409 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Wow... are there actually people here who think sexual violence doesn't happen, that's bizarre!

I don't think there are.

There are people that are wary about what they read online but that is only prudent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Nicky88

Sexual assault, by definition, is mainly perpetrated by women on men. Most of my male friends have been sexually assaulted by girls on nights out, however we, as men, are fully aware of the ramifications of touching girls inappropriately. The difference is men don't mind that much because of their social dominance whereas women feel a sense of isolation and victimhood hence why they feel the need to report - Instinct tells them that someone touching them on the leg is a minor incident and can be managed on a social level, however they are being encouraged to report it which confuses them and encourages them to dye their hair pink and hate men which inevitably leads to a mental illness.

Rape victims deserve justice. They don't need someone else's anecdotal story of how someone touched their arse 12 years ago in a nightclub.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

I remember that thread. Shameful stuff.

This is the thing. The same posters will take the anti-claimant side no matter what the circumstances. It's just the way their mind works. Always blame the victim and any old reason will do. Presume they're not telling the truth, or the event doesn't constitute an assault anyway. These poeppe just have that mentality that it's always the victim's fault.

Have to disagree with you there. It depends entirely on the circumstances as to whether people believe a person or not when they make a claim that they are the victim of some wrongdoing.

I’d take the word of plenty of posters here over the person on twitter who made a claim. It always depends upon context.

You know this, so the irony of your tarring whole groups of people with the one brush claiming that’s just how their mind works? Might want to look into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Nicky88 wrote: »
    The difference is men don't mind that much because of their social dominance whereas women feel a sense of isolation and victimhood hence why they feel the need to report - Instinct tells them that someone touching them on the leg is a minor incident and can be managed on a social level, however they are being encouraged to report it which confuses them and encourages them to dye their hair pink and hate men which inevitably leads to a mental illness.

If only our brains weren't so tiny we wouldn't be so malleable.

Have to disagree with you there. It depends entirely on the circumstances as to whether people believe a person or not when they make a claim that they are the victim of some wrongdoing.

I’d take the word of plenty of posters here over the person on twitter who made a claim. It always depends upon context.

You know this, so the irony of your tarring whole groups of people with the one brush claiming that’s just how their mind works? Might want to look into that.

For loads of posters, the only thing that changes according to context is the reason they're opposed to the claimant.

One difference with me is i wouldn't believe a claim of that seriousness by anyone (boards poster or not) without evidence. But plenty of posters will advocate against a claimant whatever the context, as predictably as night follows day. You know which posters will be along with all the reasons the claimant is in the wrong.

Nicky88 wrote: »
    Sexual assault, by definition, is mainly perpetrated by women on men. Most of my male friends have been sexually assaulted by girls on nights out, however we, as men, are fully aware of the ramifications of touching girls inappropriately. The difference is men don't mind that much because of their social dominance whereas women feel a sense of isolation and victimhood hence why they feel the need to report - Instinct tells them that someone touching them on the leg is a minor incident and can be managed on a social level, however they are being encouraged to report it which confuses them and encourages them to dye their hair pink and hate men which inevitably leads to a mental illness.

Rape victims deserve justice. They don't need someone else's anecdotal story of how someone touched their arse 12 years ago in a nightclub.

I wouldn't be so sure about what other people feel as instinct. There have often been threads about men's experience of this liked of lower level sexual assault and some brush it off as banter and others don't. Most agree that there are plenty of women who don't take groping men seriously. Hen groups can be gross for that kind of thing.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss a man who tells you they're not happy about being groped

• Registered Users Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

For loads of posters, the only thing that changes according to context is the reason they're opposed to the claimant.

One difference with me is i wouldn't believe a claim of that seriousness by anyone (boards poster or not) without evidence. But plenty of posters will advocate against a claimant whatever the context, as predictably as night follows day. You know which posters will be along with all the reasons the claimant is in the wrong.

You’re engaging in the very same sort of behaviour you criticise other people for doing, and I’m certain you don’t even realise it.

You’re prejudging posters future behaviour, based upon their past opinions of other circumstances. For example, I was one of the posters who found Duffys claims so incredible as to be unbelievable. Yet in other circumstances, I would be of a different opinion - depends upon context.

Why would you assume that women jump on the bandwagon and cry sexual assault?
    There are a handful of mentally ill people that make up accusations of all sorts for drama, attention or for whatever reason but that doesnt account for the majority of women speaking up. Women have been speaking up for years now and have been dismissed, belittled, shouted down and disbelieved - This is why women dont go to the gaurds, the odds are almost never in their favour and they are constantly accused of lying, exaggerating or looking for attention.

Imagine being a victim of rape, speaking up about it to raise awareness along with thousands of others who have experienced similar only to be told that youre an attention seeker and a chancer.
    Women cant depend on the justice system to protect us, it has failed women more times than not.

The more women that speak out publicly about rape and sexual abuse the less accepted it will become and hopefully, we'll all eventually live in a much more safe and equal society. That wont happen if women continue to keep their mouths shut.

Is Twitter the forum to do it on though??? I personally think that any #metoo claim on twitter loses alot of credibility. Its going down the route of kangaroo court.

If i catch someone robbing my house for example and decide to shoot him because, sure the law is an ass, I wonder what the great women of Twitter would suddenly say about me taking the law into my own hands and denying a burglar a fair trial?

You’re engaging in the very same sort of behaviour you criticise other people for doing, and I’m certain you don’t even realise it.

You’re prejudging posters future behaviour, based upon their past opinions of other circumstances. For example, I was one of the posters who found Duffys claims so incredible as to be unbelievable. Yet in other circumstances, I would be of a different opinion - depends upon context.

Oh no. That's exactly the kind of thing I'm talking about. Of course you were opposed to the claimant in that instance. And I'm sure you had some reasons based on the context - but always reasons to oppose the claimant. You and I have read enough of these threads to know the posters who will always oppose the claimant. The reasons for opposing the claimant change based on context, but that's all that changes.

As with any other claim about something a serious as sexual assault, I view it as just a claim. Absent evidence, I can't reach a reliable conclusion and it's not my job to jump to conclusions based on bias. You can jump to conclusions of you want. As long as you acknowledge that it's based on bias rather than evidence, then no problem.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 30 Nicky88

The incidences of rape in this country are low according to national statistics. According to the statistics rape is most likely to occur in the family home. Sexual assault is not prevalent. Rape is not prevalent. People being accused of sexual assault later found to be unfounded priceless.

KiKi III wrote: »
    The problem with this attitude is that it’s just not true.

I challenge you to back up the statement that for every genuine victim there’s a cohort of chancers.

You won’t be able to, because it’s not true.

As I’ve said repeatedly through this thread, every major study that’s been done on false allegations suggests they are thankfully rare.

Rape, on the other hand, is not rare.

That’s why you see rape cases in the news all the time (and that’s just the small proportion that actually get reported) but it’s rare to see a news report of a false allegation. Not never, but rare.

It’s also why women on this thread are sharing their real, lived experiences of sexual assault while men are talking in hypotheticals about what might happen if a man were falsely accused.

There are far more men on this thread than women: of being falsely accused is so common, why aren’t they speaking up to tell there stories as women on the thread are.

The answer is because rape and sexual assault are far more prevalent in irish society than false allegations of rape and sexual assault.

Quinton Hann, a snooker player had his life and career almost ruined over a false rape accusation. A poster also referred to an accusation against Justin Bieber above. You had Ched Evans verdict overturned also in spite of him having done 2 years of a jail sentence. Plenty of false or weak accusations are made. These are only the ones that we hear of. if one person, does time for something that they didnt do (and especially something as serious as this) its too much.

Why dont you back up your own claims with numbers of these actual victims on twitter so??? We are to assume that anyone that makes a claim on social media can do so without presenting a shred of evidence and we must all believe them? Presumption of honesty from someone we barely know beyond the computer screen??? :confused:

Ciara Kelly went off on a rant about 'an Irish Weinstein' who she only heard from other women, that he was a predator. We dont know who 'Irish Weinstein' is, nor do we know those who accused him of being a predator. Id honestly have hard time believing Ciara Kelly if she told me the day of the week. She's an opportunist and a bluffer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

Quinton Hann, a snooker player had his life and career almost ruined over a false rape accusation. A poster also referred to an accusation against Justin Bieber above. You had Ched Evans verdict overturned also in spite of him having done 2 years of a jail sentence. Plenty of false or weak accusations are made. These are only the ones that we hear of. if one person, does time for something that they didnt do (and especially something as serious as this) its too much.

Why dont you back up your own claims with numbers of these actual victims on twitter so??? We are to assume that anyone that makes a claim on social media can do so without presenting a shred of evidence and we must all believe them? Presumption of honesty from someone we barely know beyond the computer screen??? :confused:

Ciara Kelly went off on a rant about 'an Irish Weinstein' who she only heard from other women, that he was a predator. We dont know who 'Irish Weinstein' is, nor do we know those who accused him of being a predator. Id honestly have hard time believing Ciara Kelly if she told me the day of the week. She's an opportunist and a bluffer

agreed - i posted a story earlier of a guy i knew hauled in for questioning
    his story never makes statistics cos it never went beyond a garda's notebook (maybe pulse but you know what i mean) but the accusation was made.

Even the recent Johnny Depp stuff (I accept the allegations were not sexual - but the point and type of accusation is the same) shows it can happen to anybody and frequently does.

how many of them are there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Interesting report in today's (London) Times that suggests that the #MeTooers are thinking of forming a coven to flush out the countless gropers, maulers and worse in our midst. Looks as though the gender wars are about to be stepped up a couple of notches - thank heavens that I have a good woman and the libido of a jennet.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/campaigner-contacted-by-350-women-wishing-to-tell-their-abuse-stories-v6h8jwxhh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

thank heavens that I have a good woman and the libido of a jennet.

Do jennets have high or low libidos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Interesting report in today's (London) Times that suggests that the #MeTooers are thinking of forming a coven to flush out the countless gropers, maulers and worse in our midst. Looks as though the gender wars are about to be stepped up a couple of notches - thank heavens that I have a good woman and the libido of a jennet.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/campaigner-contacted-by-350-women-wishing-to-tell-their-abuse-stories-v6h8jwxhh

Sure what can go wrong. Seriously, the movement is being diluted as it gets harder to tell what is credible and what it not.

Have these people nothing better to be doing.

fair play to him , I hope he follows through
    Pity he isnt taking a claim against your woman as well

from independent.ie

haven't quotes the full article

Entertainer Sil Fox is threatening to sue the State for damages, after a sexual assault prosecution brought against him was dismissed by a judge.
    Mr Fox (87) was acquitted and the case dismissed after CCTV evidence showed he had not groped a woman in a bar when she asked for a selfie.
    The veteran comedian is now threatening to take legal action against the DPP, Garda Commissioner, Justice Minister, Ireland and the Attorney General, citing "wrongful actions" in directing the charge against him, according to legal correspondence.
    The correspondence seeking damages and an apology, sent to all parties on Monday, states that the DPP's decision to prosecute an 85-year-old man in the public eye was "taken without reasonable or probable cause".
    Any review of the CCTV evidence would have ruled out a prosecution, it states. The actions of the DPP in bringing about a prosecution were wrongful, and a "breach of his right to a good name, and infliction of emotional distress for your collective role in bringing about the unsuccessful prosecution, as well as the manner in which the charges against him were reported without restriction".

. The footage showed his hand on the table the entire time the photo was being taken. Judge Murphy noted: "In the footage, there is no indication something untoward occurred."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

paw patrol wrote: »
    fair play to him , I hope he follows through
    Pity he isnt taking a claim against your woman as well

from independent.ie

haven't quotes the full article

While it seems perverse in this instance, Sexual assault complainants do need some protection against being sued or else genuine ones will be discouraged from coming forward. For instance complainants of sexual abuse by Jimmy Saville were incorrectly told by the British Police that he might sue them so the cases never went anywhere until he died.

Best of luck to Sil Fox in his case though. He deserves it.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    While it seems perverse in this instance, Sexual assault complainants do need some protection against being sued or else genuine ones will be discouraged from coming forward. For instance complainants of sexual abuse by Jimmy Saville were incorrectly told by the British Police that he might sue them so the cases never went anywhere until he died.

i would agree, there unfortunately is a grey area in this.
    but on clear cut cases- I think action should be taken

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

CrankyHaus wrote: »

If someone is telling the truth, they have nothing to worry about do they, this is what people who have been falsely accused of a crime are told.

Absolutely, cases were it can be shown where the accuser has acted out of malice & there is clear evidence of him/her lying, they should be pursued.

Advertisement