Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

“Senior politician, household name” sexually assaults girl [** NO NAMES **]

Options
1151617181921»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

paw patrol wrote: »
    i would agree, there unfortunately is a grey area in this.
    but on clear cut cases- I think action should be taken

I agree. There should be a working mechanism and a willingness to prosecute for blatently false cases. This goes far beyond sexual cases btw, the situation on perjury and false claims is a sick joke.

Also the lack of anonymity for the accused in this case was disgraceful.

If someone is telling the truth, they have nothing to worry about do they, this is what people who have been falsely accused of a crime are told.

The twilight years of his life and career destroyed. If there was no CCTV it would be "there's never smoke without fire" dogging him for the rest of his life. If I wasn't a fan of conspiracy theories, I would almost think someone was out to get him at a high level in government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭jimwallace197

The twilight years of his life and career destroyed. If there was no CCTV it would be "there's never smoke without fire" dogging him for the rest of his life. If I wasn't a fan of conspiracy theories, I would almost think someone was out to get him at a high level in government.

Absolutely, its malicious prosecution and no doubt someone at a high level was out trying to make an example of him or were grossly incompetent.This case should never have seen the light of day and consequences must follow for those in charge because you can bet your bottom dollar, this is not the first nor the last time they will have done this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭This is it

Why would you almost think that? Genuine question, I know nothing about Sil Fox bar what I read from a link here earlier.

This is it wrote: »
    Why would you almost think that? Genuine question, I know nothing about Sil Fox bar what I read from a link here earlier.

He's well known in Dublin, convicting him as some sort of sexual deviant or predator would have been a major scalp for the dpp and the detectives investigating the case.

Also, you wouldnt know what has gone on behind the scenes in terms of encouraging this woman to go ahead with the case even though they more than likely would have no known she was unreliable. Its malicious and they knew this mans age also which makes their intent worse. I'm surprised he survived it to be honest but I hope he continues on now and takes them to the cleaners.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

It's also a disaster for metoo. I think most women do have valid stories about some kind of assault. To continue with a case which was so clearly false the Judge threw it out fairly quick, has poisoned the debate now.
    He's well known in Dublin, convicting him as some sort of sexual deviant or predator would have been a major scalp for the dpp and the detectives investigating the case.

Also, you wouldnt know what has gone on behind the scenes in terms of encouraging this woman to go ahead with the case even though they more than likely would have no known she was unreliable. Its malicious and they knew this mans age also which makes their intent worse. I'm surprised he survived it to be honest but I hope he continues on now and takes them to the cleaners.

Personally I would like to see the DPP release records here of why they decided to proceed. I mean unless the CCTV wasn't available to them or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

This is likely the reason why there were no reporting restrictions placed on the media, so that if there were other alleged victims, they would come forward and would have provided further evidence if it existed. Normally both the alleged perpetrators and the alleged victims identities are protected from being reported in the media.

It has nothing to do with his age, perpetrators of a similar age have been convicted of historic abuse, but I do wonder why the DPP chose to pursue a prosecution when there was CCTV evidence which contradicted the complainants account of events. I’m not surprised that there’s been no mention in the media of any decision to pursue the complainant on charges of attempting to pervert the course of justice. Sometimes it’s deemed to be not in the public interest to pursue a prosecution for what is a completely different offence -

Woman made false rape allegation against man she was angry with - court

I don’t think he’ll be successful at all in taking the DPP, The Garda Commissioner, the Justice Minister, Ireland and the Attorney General to the cleaners either tbh. Best thing he could do now really is just get on with his life.

This is likely the reason why there were no reporting restrictions placed on the media, so that if there were other alleged victims, they would come forward and would have provided further evidence if it existed. Normally both the alleged perpetrators and the alleged victims identities are protected from being reported in the media.

It has nothing to do with his age, perpetrators of a similar age have been convicted of historic abuse, but I do wonder why the DPP chose to pursue a prosecution when there was CCTV evidence which contradicted the complainants account of events. I’m not surprised that there’s been no mention in the media of any decision to pursue the complainant on charges of attempting to pervert the course of justice. Sometimes it’s deemed to be not in the public interest to pursue a prosecution for what is a completely different offence -

Woman made false rape allegation against man she was angry with - court

I don’t think he’ll be successful at all in taking the DPP, The Garda Commissioner, the Justice Minister, Ireland and the Attorney General to the cleaners either tbh. Best thing he could do now really is just get on with his life.

He needs to take this case, its not just about money, its the dpp and gards thinking they can charge people with crimes like this without repercussion.

They need to be held accountable, and they will no doubt in time. Its coming their way whether they like it or not. They have got away with this **** in this country for too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,380 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    While it seems perverse in this instance, Sexual assault complainants do need some protection against being sued or else genuine ones will be discouraged from coming forward....

Best of luck to Sil Fox in his case though. He deserves it.

Yeah they need some protection, but not if there's evidence that it's definitely not true. If its just a made up claim and there's evidence that it's made up, then I'd be fine with a punishment for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Yeah they need some protection, but not if there's evidence that it's definitely not true. If its just a made up claim and there's evidence that it's made up, then I'd be fine with a punishment for that.

Absolutely. But leaving them open to any civil suit leaves every sexual assault victim open to a civil suit from their abuser, however frivolous. The better option is to have a proper means of criminally punishing those who give obviously false evidence, and a official willingness to do so, both of which we lack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Ciara Kelly went off on a rant about 'an Irish Weinstein' who she only heard from other women, that he was a predator. We dont know who 'Irish Weinstein' is, nor do we know those who accused him of being a predator. Id honestly have hard time believing Ciara Kelly if she told me the day of the week. She's an opportunist and a bluffer

She is clueless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Serious question, but was Syl Fox that famous. I only heard of the chap when the allegations were made against him, and he is 85 years old, so was he famous in the 70s or 80s, or was he still on the go?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

Serious question, but was Syl Fox that famous. I only heard of the chap when the allegations were made against him, and he is 85 years old, so was he famous in the 70s or 80s, or was he still on the go?

I know of him because he is buddy of Joe Duffy who puts him on the radio as a charity.

I only heard about the court case here yesterday. I didn't know he was a "comedian" nor that he paid for gigs.

I'd say SitlFox was just as close as that auld bag was ever going to get to someone actually famous. So she took the opportunity.

Edit: actually to say charity is wrong as clearly Joe things the guy is funny

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

He would have been reasonably well known in the 70s/80s. Not quite household name famous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

He needs to take this case, its not just about money, its the dpp and gards thinking they can charge people with crimes like this without repercussion.

They need to be held accountable, and they will no doubt in time. Its coming their way whether they like it or not. They have got away with this **** in this country for too long.

Its a crock of **** for the DPP/ Guards one way or the other. Can you imagine the spin if they refused to prosecute?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Mike Hough

I've been away from boards for a while... but has the rape culture in the current Irish comedy scene reached here yet?
    Certain people have been named in public...and companies dumping the alleged perpetrators..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

As usual on the responses on twitter, the desperate scruffy lesbian hardcore feminist types pushing her and coercing her to give a name. Their mouths dropping with the thoughts of them scandal. Another reason to protest. Sados

Then what's the point of her saying she was sexually assaulted by a well-known politician? She has put a question mark over the reputation of every well-known politician who is still alive and on Twitter (on which she mentioned he is active).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

"Someone was out to get him at a high level in government"

FFS What a conspiracy theory! Then of course he was alive in the 60s so maybe the CIA suspect him for the JFK assasination and the disappearance of Jimmy Hoffa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Was this senior politician ever named or did the allegations just die off?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,855 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It wasn't me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

When the attention died down the alleged sexual assault seemed to dissapear hmmmmm weird that

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

We don't have a serious investigative journalism culture in this country so we'll probably never know. Journos and politicians are all very chummy in Ireland and rub shoulders in the same social circles.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭Gervais08

coinop wrote: »
    We don't have a serious investigative journalism culture in this country so we'll probably never know. Journos and politicians are all very chummy in Ireland and rub shoulders in the same social circles.

Shame we don’t have a police and criminal justice system where allegations can be reported rather than on Twitter eh ?

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Remember the hoo hah and allegations about an Irish musician on Twitter? All came to nothing.

Advertisement