Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

“Senior politician, household name” sexually assaults girl [** NO NAMES **]

Options

Comments

mikemac2 wrote: »
    If an adult in her twenties not a girl had a case and complaint, she would have gone to the gardai. Not twitter years later for likes and validation

Hell twitter didn't exist 15 years ago, would she be writing anonymous letters to the Evening Herald back then?

Tbh what is being accused is virtually impossible to prove?

Id find it hard for gaurds to make anything of it either,but every pub in country is full of so called healing hands ould lads (fcuk sake,know lads my age,who would been at same sh1te in nightclubs).......

So the premise is beliveable, but if their is substance to.the accusation,several other victims likely exist with similar stories and name will soon be out (and denability becomes unpossible).....

noones career should be finished on one unprovable accusation either though imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Mattdhg

KiKi III wrote: »
    Now I’m going to log off, watch some very lighthearted television with a cup of tea and try not to get totally overwhelmed by how powerless it feels that the men on this thread so fervently want to believe these women are liars.

Not necessarily all women, but rightly questioning this particular woman's motives.

What good does anyone get from a vague tweet? She has said she will never name him, so there goes ever bringing a case against him. In the least if it was public knowledge other women would know to avoid him and be careful. She even says in a later tweet that she knows a few women working with this man now, so obviously her words aren't a deterrent to them.

Unless she's selfish enough to make a vague tweet about it for fleeting Internet validation, and made no efforts to warn those women who could be at risk.

There is a huge difference between not reporting it and telling friends / family what happened versus not reporting it but posting a vague tweet to see how much validation you can get

"someone tweets something"

my god is this news now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

What benefit could it be to anyone to do this?
    It gets no justice for her.
    It throws a cloud of suspicion over innocent parties.
    It engenders a lot of attention, good and bad, which would be overwhelming.
    It becomes a defining moment in ones life to no good avail.
    Publishing something like that is the equivalent of putting up thousands of flyers on the street making an anonymous accusation. Why do it?

It would be better if one wanted closure to either write to the person involved, get counselling if still troubled or go to the police. Though personally I think a leg grope rather trivial for most of those measures. Still a letter to the person involved would be more productive. To just randomly post insinuating allegations years later seems like the least effective and most immature thing to do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

If an adult in her twenties not a girl had a case and complaint, she would have gone to the gardai. Not twitter years later for likes and validation

Hell twitter didn't exist 15 years ago, would she be writing anonymous letters to the Evening Herald back then?

What? No. I was sexually assaulted at 19. No way would I have reported it because I knew I couldn’t prove it. I just had to set my shoulders and move forward. I didn’t tell anyone about it until 16 years later. It is astonishingly naive to think that if a woman is sexually assaulted, she’ll take herself of the garda station post haste. A lot of the time, that won’t happen because it is so hard to prove.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,409 ✭✭✭✭noodler

KiKi III wrote: »
    You just criticised her for not speaking up to protect future victims.

You have not criticised him AT ALL.

This is scary levels of hypothetical outrage tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Johnny only defends one party so 1+1

If I’m the Johnny you’re referring to then I’ll tell you now I’ve not a clue who is being accused, and I’ve no interest in finding out.

A hit and a miss there, dude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

That doesn't get you twitter followers and likes

I dont care about that line of reasoning. But I just dont know WHAT it could get her that could be helpful yo her. It solves nothing but sets off a whole chain of problems instead. Lots of attention is not actually a good thing in most cases. Then again Im a bit old fashioned. The thoughts of 1000s of Instagram followers etc would bring me out in a cold sweat and induce nightmares whereas modern folk seem to love the idea. Baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 741 ✭✭✭tjhook

I've been assaulted by a woman who has posted on this thread.

Actually I haven't. But if I had been, I think the statement above would be very unfair to a group of women. I think it's unfair to accuse an unnamed member of a relatively small group of a crime.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Naaa if you got power and money then the law doesn't apply I mean does anyone remember the 'famous Irish sports star' who was all over the papers until suddenly it wasnt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,682 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

JJayoo wrote: »
    Naaa if you got power and money then the law doesn't apply I mean does anyone remember the 'famous Irish sports star' who was all over the papers until suddenly it wasnt

Afaik that case is ongoing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

someone put up an anagram of the name or maybe we can play hangman..

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

coinop wrote: »
    Do you believe women or will you demand proof?

https://mobile.twitter.com/taisling/status/1274649516491366401

I believe her

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 23,932 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Nozebleed wrote: »

Fingers Magee.

I believe her

attention seeker. wouldn't believe a word of it. this entire generation seems to have a fantasy of being touched up. if she posts a picture of herself and she's a ride it might change my mind! i doubt it tho..just another attention seeking pig.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I believe her

Would you not want more proof than a random tweet to decide if you believe someone or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Cryptic clue?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

attention seeker. wouldn't believe a word of it. this entire generation seems to have a fantasy of being touched up. if she posts a picture of herself and she's a ride it might change my mind! i doubt it tho..just another attention seeking pig.

Yes, we should evaluate claims of sexual assault based on the attractiveness of the person claiming.

What a moronic post.

is the letter D in the name?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

while I find your post crass, I think its no surprise the account doesn't have an actual picture, its like those Facebook profiles with sunset pictures who post racist comments , all false.

• Advertisement

Would you not want more proof than a random tweet to decide if you believe someone or not?

Yes. Thats why I believe her.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

osarusan wrote: »
    Yes, we should evaluate claims of sexual assault based on the attractiveness of the person claiming.

What a moronic post.

no whats moronic is tweeting about alleged sexual abuse..c'mon man where's your sense of humour?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

This post genuinely turned my stomach. You are disgusting and I sincerely hope you don't have a daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

is the letter D in the name?

i don't think it got that far...

• Registered Users Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Yes. Thats why I believe her.

So you would want more proof?

But there isn't any unless you know something the rest of us don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

LawBoy2018 wrote: »
    This post genuinely turned my stomach. You are disgusting and I sincerely hope you don't have a daughter.

Yep, fairly disgusting alright. With this and the stabbing thread Boards is a real eye opener this evening.

I believe her

Can I ask why you believe her?

Do you know her?

So you would want more proof?

But there isn't any unless you know something the rest of us don't.

I know her. I believe the story.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭olestoepoke

Shocking if true, what's even more shocking is the amount of replies saying 100% believe you and #believe you etc. Scary to think we live in a society where people blindly believe anything that's tweeted.

Advertisement