Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

“Senior politician, household name” sexually assaults girl [** NO NAMES **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭double jobbing

Look at Joe Biden's accuser, Tara Reade. Dropped by her lawyer Douglas Wigdor, a leading #metoo lawyer. If the accused is a prominent leftie in Ireland than it'll be kid gloves.

Closer to home, check how they drove Paddy Jackson out of the country and off the national team after he was acquitted at trial by a jury.

Do you remember the protests they had to force Ismail Akinade out of the League of Ireland after his conviction?

No. Me neither. His case was better off not highlighted. It only perpetuates bad feeling and prejudice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Closer to home, check how they drove Paddy Jackson out of the country and off the national team after he was acquitted at trial by a jury.

Do you remember the protests they had to force Ismail Akinade out of the League of Ireland after his conviction?

No. Me neither. His case was better off not highlighted. It only perpetuates bad feeling and prejudice.

Ismail in now playing ball in Gary Glitters favourite holiday destination

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Just had a look. It would drain the life out of you that place with the unfounded allegations being bandied about and anonymous profiles hidden behind avatars. In my opinion that takes away from the real victims. Twitter need to sort their **** out. Absolute **** show of a place where empty vessels are being given a platform to make a huge amount of noise.

Couldn't agree more, Twitter is a petty narcissist's playground. Any attention seeking stunt to boost their social media profile, and we're supposed to lap it all up without evidence. Pathetic carry on. Go through the proper channels instead of initiating mob rule without due process.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,932 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

‘Tis falsely shouting fire in a crowded theatre type stuff. Nothing new about it. It’s just irresponsibly politicising sexual assault is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Couldn't agree more, Twitter is a petty narcissist's playground. Any attention seeking stunt to boost their social media profile, and we're supposed to lap it all up without evidence. Pathetic. Go through the proper channels instead of initiating mob rule online.

The same person went through 'the proper channels' a couple of years ago after being sexually assaulted, and despite damning CCTV evidence, her attacker was cleared. I wouldn't blame her for being nervous about going down that road again considering how often victims of sexual assault are let down by 'the proper channels'.

• Advertisement

The same person went through 'the proper channels' a couple of years ago after being sexually assaulted, and despite damning CCTV evidence, her attacker was cleared. I wouldn't blame her for being nervous about going down that road again considering how often victims of sexual assault are let down by 'the proper channels'.

This woman has been attacked by two men on two separate occasions?

That is some very statistically rare bad luck by anybody's measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,692 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

I think she is an idiot.

Go to the Gardai not twitter.

People who are commenting on the abuse which they have been subjected to I suspect are largely doing so with an eye on the future more so than on the past. They are saying that this has gone on for too long, that many many women have similar stories to tell, to varying degrees and that just because it is virtually impossible to get a conviction, they are not going to stay silent.

Anyone who called for the lady in the infamous case in Belfast to be charged with making a false claim was in my view doing so to try to frighten women in to keeping their mouths shut.

Are there people who make false claims? Yes. But the vast amount of evidence indicates that most of these crimes are never even reported partly because of the extremely low rates of conviction.
    If you want to see progress, hope for high rates of conviction for sexual assault crimes, then when people realise they are unlikely to get away with it, they will be less likely to commit the crime in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

I see no reason not to believe but don't see the point of announcing it this way. People reading that message and people who hear about will start trying to guess who the man is and that kind of thing can be damaging.

I've never read twitter before to the best of memory and I don't understand the replies like "can understand why you can't name him" - of course she can't because she can't prove it. I think the guy offering her "hugs" needs to go on a training course - not the most appropriate response.

I understand that there are various reason why a person isn't able to react but it is something I still don't understand.
    My wife has been "harassed" a lot over the years. Sounds like a cliche but it started when she was doing waitress jobs when going to university. I use the " " because I'm not sure it counts as harassment as she has never let anyone get away with it.

If you think she's a liar or was 'asking for it', why don't you just say it, rather than making nasty, snide little remarks like that? I mean, it's pretty obvious that you don't hold women in very high regard.

She didnt just decide to throw something on twitter out of the blue , its been an ongoing discussion over the last week or so where women are sharing their stories of being attacked/assaulted /whatever way you want to describe it.
    An irish comedian (who was named, by a named person as having raped her) , has, from what I've seen, held his hands up and said the stuff going up on twitter is true (hes not someone id heard of , think hes well known as a booker for a venue) .

Dont know if its where it started but last week women and girls in America started posting screenshots of conversations with Chris D'Delia who seemed to be messaging a lot of 16 year old girls over the years and inviting them to do stuff.

Okay so it wasn't some random out the blue comment.

Not familiar with twitter so didn't know it linked back to a previous conversation.

Still don't think social media is the place this. What if someone posted a message naming a man is the attacker who is not the attacker at all . A life is ruined.

• Advertisement

Not by my measure. Just speaking from both my own personal as well as professional experience. Not rare at all.

If you think she's a liar or was 'asking for it', why don't you just say it, rather than making nasty, snide little remarks like that? I mean, it's pretty obvious that you don't hold women in very high regard.

I don't hold people who peddle left wing rubbish on Twitter, who think we need to know what their preferred gender pronoun is, and who work for trouble making quangos, in high regard. Why should I? These sorts of people are always deeply unpleasant characters.

It amazes me how people are throwing this stuff out on twitter :confused: Go to the gardai ffs. No credibility whatsoever

Think this thread is due its obligatory Simpsons reference :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,692 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

It amazes me how people are throwing this stuff out on twitter :confused: Go to the gardai ffs. No credibility whatsoever

Think this thread is due its obligatory Simpsons reference :cool:

Simpsons wasn't the only show to shine a light on how the reporting of sex abuse is experienced.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 315 ✭✭coinop

On a related note, today a woman on twitter accused Justin Bieber of sexual assault. Bieber has proof that she was lying and is now pursuing legal action. The accuser has deleted her tweet and now refuses to respond. The MeToo attention seekers are panicking. I feel bad for any men who don’t have the financial resources to defend their good name.

https://mobile.twitter.com/justinbieber/status/1274869663151747072

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

What I get from all of this is a woman decides to anonymously accuse a senior politician on a large public platform, saying he groped her leg, and before the night has passed a completely recognisable politician is being casually described on this platform with many readers as basically a sex pest.
    This is exactly why it was irresponsible, immature and overall a really bad idea for her to do it. She should have better friends. Little life rule, in general those people who goad you feverishly to the front line to do battle are not your friends.

I don't hold people who peddle left wing rubbish on Twitter, who think we need to know what their preferred gender pronoun is, and who work for trouble making quangos, in high regard. Why should I? These sorts of people are always deeply unpleasant characters.

Going by your general conduct on here, you'd be the last person whose judgement I'd trust on the issue of 'unpleasant characters'.

Actually, that's not fair... you'd be about the sixth last person. But that's a reflection of how much of a cesspit the admins have allowed this place to become.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

the_syco wrote: »
    The timing makes the vague accusation sound like a targeted strike against the new government.

No

The timing is because dozens of Irish people have been discussing their sexual assault experiences on twitter in the last week.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

What statistics on sexual.assault have you been reading?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭LazySamaritan

I signed in to respond to a question but the post seems to have been deleted. It was asking is a hand on a leg sexual assault.

I don't know the full details but according to the tweet it wasn't just a hand on leg but the accused put his hand up the woman's leg. That could make it a sexual assault.

The wording has always confused me.

In this country isn't assault the threat of violence and battery the actual physical impact, with even an unwanted touch considered battery.

If that is so wouldn't sexual assault be the threat or fear, and then the physical act be sexual battery. I never hear of sexual battery so is it just different in a sex crime?

Or am I wrong about assault and battery in this country. It was something that was related to a course in college 30 years ago so maybe things changed I the meantime or it was just explained to wrong.

And I fear for the present and the future when people think it is okay to use this nonsense software. What if one of those people misunderstands who they are all but naming and spreads around information that it was some other man?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

I signed in to respond to a question but the post seems to have been deleted. It was asking is a hand on a leg sexual assault.

I don't know the full details but according to the tweet it wasn't just a hand on leg but the accused put his hand up the woman's leg. That could make it a sexual assault.

In this country isn't assault the threat of violence and battery the actual physical impact, with even an unwanted touch considered battery.

If that is so wouldn't sexual assault be the threat or fear, and then the physical act be sexual battery. I never hear of sexual battery so is it just different in a sex crime?

Or am I wrong about assault and battery in this country. It was something that was related to a course in college 30 years ago so maybe things changed I the meantime or it was just explained to wrong.

And I fear for the present and the future when people think it is okay to use this nonsense software. What if one of those people misunderstands who they are all but naming and spreads around information that it was some other man?

It was me that asked, I then googled and saw it was considered sexual assault (its pretty wide ranging).

Agree with the rest of your post.

Well, I'm not amongst them.

Good.

Battery is a UK thing. It's just plain assault in Ireland. May have been battery many moons ago though as the assault law is from 1997

• Registered Users Posts: 6,988 ✭✭✭circadian

That posionous realm of humanity is going mad about, from what I can see, two musicians, a politician, a comedian and an actor.

All because of some random faceless person making accusations.

Twitter is utter poison.

In saying that the actor named is a left wing thug of the highest order, it would be nice to see him put through the ringer even if he is likely innocent. An odious individual.

What is your obsession with "the left"?

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭LazySamaritan

Battery is a UK thing. It's just plain assault in Ireland. May have been battery many moons ago though as the assault law is from 1997

That explains why I never hear of battery.

So if assault is the act of violence do we have a law regarding the threat or fear of it? Is it just a part of the assault?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

It seems like when men hear about a sexual assault, they automatically put themselves in the category of “potentially accused” rather than “potential victim”, and this informs the defensive way they respond to allegations.

All through this thread there are men talking about men’s lives being ruined through allegations, with very little talk of how women’s lives are ruined by sexual assault.

Again, as confirmed by FBI and LAPD studies, false rape allegations are rare.

If you look at the number of women who attend Rape Crisis Centres compared to the number of women who report to the police, it’s clear that victims of sexual violence don’t have faith in the justice system to protect them and prosecute rapists.

In a case where it’s his word against here it’s very difficult to prove a case beyond reasonable doubt. The fact that it can’t be proven to that degree because most rapists go to quite a bit of efffort to conduct their crimes in private means most rapists will walk.

Is Twitter the best way to raise an allegation? No. It’s not. But don’t tell me women can just go to
    the gardai and see justice served. We can’t.

Ireland has incredibly strict defamation laws so any of the men named on Twitter can sue the women involved if they believe they have been lied about. It’s a much easier process than trying to secure a rape conviction.

On Joe Rogan’s podcast a clip from 2011 has resurfaced where Joey Diaz tells a “hilarious” anecdote about forcing 20+ women to give him head in exchange for spots at comedy nights. Even though he literally admits to it (brags about it) on the clip, there are mouth breathers going “well where’s the proof?”

KiKi III wrote: »
    It seems like when men hear about a sexual assault, they automatically put themselves in the category of “potentially accused” rather than “potential victim”, and this informs the defensive way they respond to allegations.

All through this thread there are men talking about men’s lives being ruined through allegations, with very little talk of how women’s lives are ruined by sexual assault.

Again, as confirmed by FBI and LAPD studies, false rape allegations are rare.

If you look at the number of women who attend Rape Crisis Centres compared to the number of women who report to the police, it’s clear that victims of sexual violence don’t have faith in the justice system to protect them and prosecute rapists.

In a case where it’s his word against here it’s very difficult to prove a case beyond reasonable doubt. The fact that it can’t be proven to that degree because most rapists go to quite a bit of efffort to conduct their crimes in private means most rapists will walk.

Is Twitter the best way to raise an allegation? No. It’s not. But don’t tell me women can just go to
    the gardai and see justice served. We can’t.

Ireland has incredibly strict defamation laws so any of the men named on Twitter can sue the women involved if they believe they have been lied about. It’s a much easier process than trying to secure a rape conviction.

On Joe Rogan’s podcast a clip from 2011 has resurfaced where Joey Diaz tells a “hilarious” anecdote about forcing 20+ women to give him head in exchange for spots at comedy nights. Even though he literally admits to it (brags about it) on the clip, there are mouth breathers going “well where’s the proof?”

Why are you referencing American law enforcement reports and American media ?

The case here is Irish.

Speaking for myself I'm talking about the asinine platform being used and how it can lead to a misunderstanding of who the attacker is. You are incredibly naive if you think that cannot happens. The a man's life ruined I'm referring to is the guy who gets smeared from said misunderstanding.

And again speaking for myself I cannot talk for women whose lives are ruined by such a thing as I'm neither a woman nor been the victim of a sexual assault. I also cannot speak on behalf of the perpetrators as I'm not not of them either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

Why are you referencing American law enforcement reports and American media ?

The case here is Irish.

Speaking for myself I'm talking about the asinine platform being used and how it can lead to a misunderstanding of who the attacker is. You are incredibly naive if you think that cannot happens. The a man's life ruined I'm referring to is the guy who gets smeared from said misunderstanding.

And again speaking for myself I cannot talk for women whose lives are ruined by such a thing as I'm neither a woman nor been the victim of a sexual assault. I also cannot speak on behalf of the perpetrators as I'm not not of them either.

It can happen, I’ve already acknowledged that. But it’s rare. If you want an Irish source to learn about the prevalence of sexual violence in Ireland against men and women I suggest the SAVI report.

Tell me: When men started coming forward in the 90s in the media saying that they had been abused by priests decades before, did you assume they were mostly attention seekers or out for the compo as has been said repeatedly about women on this thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

It can happen, I’ve already acknowledged that. But it’s rare. If you want an Irish source to learn about the prevalence of sexual violence in Ireland against men and women I suggest the SAVI report.

Tell me: When men started coming forward in the 90s in the media saying that they had been abused by priests decades before, did you assume they were mostly attention seekers or out for the compo as has been said repeatedly about women on this thread?

The majority of those men and women told their stories to the authorities, not to partake in a social media craze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭TheChizler

MoonUnit75 wrote: »

The majority of those men and women told their stories to the authorities, not to partake in a social media craze.
    Think about that statement for a second.

Advertisement