Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

“Senior politician, household name” sexually assaults girl [** NO NAMES **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,242 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

If you have a beef with someone in the industry all you have to do is make a few fake twitter accounts and spread **** about them.

What industry?

Isn't Morgan Freeman allegedly a groper? Clearly not every accused is negative affected.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

absolutely. I would even go as far as to say that the majority of men labelling themselves as feminists or being active in these 'womens rights' movements are predators who are only involved in order to attain sex with women under false pretences or to divert the spotlight from their own past actions.

Say it aint so Joe, say it aint so!

ee8.png

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

What's with all the no photo twitter accounts calling out Irish singers? Put up your photo and stand behind your allegations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭ToddDameron

KiKi III wrote: »
    It seems like when men hear about a sexual assault, they automatically put themselves in the category of “potentially accused” rather than “potential victim”, and this informs the defensive way they respond to allegations.

All through this thread there are men talking about men’s lives being ruined through allegations, with very little talk of how women’s lives are ruined by sexual assault.

Again, as confirmed by FBI and LAPD studies, false rape allegations are rare.

If you look at the number of women who attend Rape Crisis Centres compared to the number of women who report to the police, it’s clear that victims of sexual violence don’t have faith in the justice system to protect them and prosecute rapists.

In a case where it’s his word against here it’s very difficult to prove a case beyond reasonable doubt. The fact that it can’t be proven to that degree because most rapists go to quite a bit of efffort to conduct their crimes in private means most rapists will walk.

Is Twitter the best way to raise an allegation? No. It’s not. But don’t tell me women can just go to
    the gardai and see justice served. We can’t.

Ireland has incredibly strict defamation laws so any of the men named on Twitter can sue the women involved if they believe they have been lied about. It’s a much easier process than trying to secure a rape conviction.

On Joe Rogan’s podcast a clip from 2011 has resurfaced where Joey Diaz tells a “hilarious” anecdote about forcing 20+ women to give him head in exchange for spots at comedy nights. Even though he literally admits to it (brags about it) on the clip, there are mouth breathers going “well where’s the proof?”

Surely the likelihood of false allegations increases dramatically when anyone can set up an account and make an anonymous accusation seemingly without repercussions. People are making allegations and then deleting their accounts. There are also accounts offering to tweet allegations on your behalf no questions asked if you DM them. What's to stop a man pretending to be a woman and making an allegation against someone they don't like?

The studies you highlighted aren't really relevant when considering Twitter.

Bambi wrote: »
    Say it aint so Joe, say it aint so!

ee8.png

Never thought of like that either.

• Advertisement

Surely the likelihood of false allegations increases dramatically when anyone can set up an account and make an anonymous accusation seemingly without repercussions. What's to stop a man pretending to be a woman and making an allegation against someone they don't like?

The studies you highlighted aren't really relevant when considering Twitter.

doesn't have to be fake accounts.

plenty of idiots around will run rampant on their own accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

If she has her pronouns on her twitter bio and has worked in various right-on lefty NGOs it's not hard to guess the circles she moves in and what political figures she is likely to go to dinner with.

it would also tally with some unpleasant rumours i've heard over the years about one individual in particular. No I will not reveal a name.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

coinop wrote: »
    I have news for you about Leo...

Maybe that those 'news' happened after he touched that girl?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Give us a clue.

Under no circumstances

na1 wrote: »
    Maybe that those 'news' happened after he touched that girl?

Maybe it is camouflage ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Maybe it is camouflage ?
    Very easy to come out with a baseless, unfounded vague allegation.
    Much easier, in fact, than following proper protocol and reporting to the authorities.

In fact, this is what the rape victim of Joe Biden was expected to have done and is ignored by some on the left because she used a wrong word in the 70's when reporting.

Why is that different?

ELM327 wrote: »
    Very easy to come out with a baseless, unfounded vague allegation.
    Much easier, in fact, than following proper protocol and reporting to the authorities.

In fact, this is what the rape victim of Joe Biden was expected to have done and is ignored by some on the left because she used a wrong word in the 70's when reporting.

Why is that different?

Why are you biting my head off?

I think you misunderstand the meaning and intent of my post.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It's always the most virtuous. The Singer and the Actor are amongst Top Gun for Virtueness in Ireland.

I posted this yesterday
    "The very people out there being militant "progressives" are the exact personality types that were running around in the past being religious puritants. They are led by sense of self righteousness and a belief that their way of life is pure."

What I failed to write was that amongst the self proclaimed righteous there seems to be a rampand level of sex offenders. Previously we had them in the Church, Scouts and Sports Clubs. Now the personality type thrives in the Arts, activism and the NGOs. There have been many many stories about people from Unicef, MSF, Red Cross being abusers in 3rd world countries.

The personality type ain't in the church anymore, they are in the activist circles. Claiming virtueness to sooth their souls from their own sexual deviance, gaining trust and infiltrating vulnerable people. Predators.

I have been saying for a while, if you know a man that proclaims himself a male feminist, run a ****ing mile.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

My position is that there's two separate aspects to this.

I've no issue believing someone I don't know when they say something on twitter, or indeed on Boards. Looking for proof for every single anecdote, story or anonymous allegation would is an impossible and unnecessary ask. My position is to take people's personal experiences on face value until proven otherwise, for the purposes of debate, discussion and convenience. If all she wants to talk about is her experience, then she doesn't need to name the person, or offer anything more than her side of the story.

She has no ethical onus to name the person publicly, and draw everything that entails on her, in order to "protect" any other potential victims. The onus is squarely on the perpetrator not to act illegally.

If you make an allegation against a named or identifiable individual, be prepared to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt, because that is a solid requirement. And I'm not saying only if you make a criminal or civil complaint against them. If you make any kind of public allegation against someone identifiable that regards illegal activity, you have to be prepared to back that up with proof, evidence or testimony.

My position is that there's two separate aspects to this.

I've no issue believing someone I don't know when they say something on twitter, or indeed on Boards. Looking for proof for every single anecdote, story or anonymous allegation would is an impossible and unnecessary ask. My position is to take people's personal experiences on face value until proven otherwise, for the purposes of debate, discussion and convenience. If all she wants to talk about is her experience, then she doesn't need to name the person, or offer anything more than her side of the story.

She has no ethical onus to name the person publicly, and draw everything that entails on her, in order to "protect" any other potential victims. The onus is squarely on the perpetrator not to act illegally.

If you make an allegation against a named or identifiable individual, be prepared to prove it beyond a reasonable doubt, because that is a solid requirement. And I'm not saying only if you make a criminal or civil complaint against them. If you make any kind of public allegation against someone identifiable that regards illegal activity, you have to be prepared to back that up with proof, evidence or testimony.

Is twitter a suitable platform to talk about it?

People are claiming to know who the man is but what if people are thinking it it about the wrong man?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

Is twitter a suitable platform to talk about it?

People are claiming to know who the man is but what if people are thinking it it about the wrong man?

Absolutely, any male politician around the age of 50 is now a suspect. Just pick the one you like the least.....thats him.

I think she should have named the person it is or said nothing, what she has done now is totally unfair to all of the male politicians in that age range.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

517388.png

the issue with "I believe her" ..... How many I believe her accounts just want to see as many men jailed, innocent or not?

Absolutely, any male politician around the age of 50 is now a suspect. Just pick the one you like the least.....thats him.

I think she should have named the person it is or said nothing, what she has done now is totally unfair to all of the male politicians in that age range.

She has the right to talk about it but the duty to do so the right way.

I've known people to fall out over a misunderstood text message. I can't imagine what chaos happens on those social media apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

517388.png

the issue with "I believe her" ..... How many I believe her accounts just want to see as many men jailed, innocent or not?

There is a disgusting overlap between people who #ibelievehere and who post content that is brazenly about going to any lengths to remove powerful and rich men from their perch and putting them in prison / poverty.

People must be very uncomfortable in lap dancing clubs these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Mod: @Eric Cartman - don't post in the thread again.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,999 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Why are you biting my head off?

I think you misunderstand the meaning and intent of my post.
    I was agreeing with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

People must be very uncomfortable in lap dancing clubs these days.

Was in only 2, one in Spain & one in Amsterdam...can't say i enjoyed the experience, just really seedy and not really comfortable in that situation

ELM327 wrote: »
    I was agreeing with you!

Can people see how misunderstandings happen?:P

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Was in only 2, one in Spain & one in Amsterdam...can't say i enjoyed the experience, just really seedy and not really comfortable in that situation

I don't see how you thought the club in Amsterdam of all places would be a less seedy and more comfortable experience than Spain - assuming that was the order. :o

However I meant the comment in jest as I find a lot of people nowadays are afraid to say or do anything for fear of being accused go political incorrectness so imagine people carrying that to a strip club.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Anybody here work on a factory floor or a warehouse?

When I started working I was in few such places over the years and I was "groped" by female colleagues a few times - not for sexual purposes I think, just horse play - and common greetings would "how's your tits?" and the likes.

I know the offices were very different but are factories like this anymore?

No, you'd be filling out forms for a week, it's a real no no,

No, you'd be filling out forms for a week, it's a real no no,

Which is the no-no? MoonUnit75 describes a more aggressive female worker so it sounds not so different.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Which is the no-no? MoonUnit75 describes a more aggressive female worker so it sounds not so different.

Factories have come along way since your time, touching anyone or asking them personal questions would get you straight to the office, male or female, you've to fill out a report after getting a sticking plaster, imagine the paperwork if someone brushed past someone else's arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,381 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

That posionous realm of humanity is going mad about, from what I can see, two musicians, a politician, a comedian and an actor.

All because of some random faceless person making accusations.

Twitter is utter poison.

In saying that the actor named is a left wing thug of the highest order, it would be nice to see him put through the ringer even if he is likely innocent. An odious individual.

This is a new low. I've seen lots of posters worry about false accusations, which is fair enough. It's always a balance of supporting a victim to come forward and not condemning anyone unless proved guilty. But this takes hhe biscuit and demonstrates how poisonous some poepe are. To wish a false allegation against someone because you don't like their politics is shameful.

I haven't read past this point in the thread yet but I'd hope the posters who purport to be worried about false allegations, have the integrity to call out this post.

P.S I strongly suspect most of the posters who pretend to worry about false allegations are really just opposed to too many victims coming forward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

I don't see how you thought the club in Amsterdam of all places would be a less seedy and more comfortable experience than Spain - assuming that was the order. :o

However I meant the comment in jest as I find a lot of people nowadays are afraid to say or do anything for fear of being accused go political incorrectness so imagine people carrying that to a strip club.:)

Was in Amsterdam competing in an international event, went out afterwards

Advertisement