Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cracked walls on new build

• 21-06-2020 6:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Has anyone ever seen cracks on the inside walls and outside walls of new build houses ?

Could this be due to structural issues or is it just due to the house "settling"

If you've experienced this before I'd like to know what you did about this as I'm considering getting a survey done.

I wouldn't have expected to see cracks especially as it's a newly built house.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Your first action should surely be to talk to the builder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

lucanbound wrote: »
    Has anyone ever seen cracks on the inside walls and outside walls of new build houses ?

Could this be due to structural issues or is it just due to the house "settling"

If you've experienced this before I'd like to know what you did about this as I'm considering getting a survey done.

I wouldn't have expected to see cracks especially as it's a newly built house.

Wrong forum.

It's not uncommon for new buildings to crack as they dry out, shrink and settle into their foundations. This kind of movement usually results in hairline like cracks and stabilises after about a year.

If the movement is larger or goes on for longer then there might be other issues at play

• Registered Users Posts: 19 lucanbound

Wrong forum.

It's not uncommon for new buildings to crack as they dry out, shrink and settle into their foundations. This kind of movement usually results in hairline like cracks and stabilises after about a year.

If the movement is larger or goes on for longer then there might be other issues at play

Thanks I’ll delete the post. The show house was built a year ago so I’d have expected the house to be fully settled by now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Is pyrite still an issue with builds?

Advertisement