Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport new runway opening 1989

Options
  • 21-06-2020 7:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭

The EIDW Twitter account tweeted a link to a video report on the runway opening on this day in 1989.

http://ow.ly/FvY550yHHq4

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,673 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I fell down the rabbit hole of clips from there to the opening of T2 in 2010. Getting through security in no longer than 7 minutes ( :pac: ) and viability in question.

Also the suggestion of a underpass under the 'new' runway in 1980s..

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭HTCOne

dfx- wrote: »
    I fell down the rabbit hole of clips from there to the opening of T2 in 2010. Getting through security in no longer than 7 minutes ( :pac: ) and viability in question.

Also the suggestion of a underpass under the 'new' runway in 1980s..

To be fair, I’ve never spent more than 15 mins in that queue in at least 5 trips a year I’ve passed through, it ain’t bad.

I spent over 2 hours in the queue twice in T1 around 06/07. It was a s***show back then.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,692 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Haughey was a total crook but he did have some vision as to what our country could become, it wasn't obvious thirty years ago.

Surprised there was no mention of it impacting on Shannon - but we all know that's why it wasn't built to 3500m... they thought they hobbled Dublin 'just enough' but aircraft performance moved on.

Uh-oh, danger here... https://www.rte.ie/archives/2019/0322/1037997-dublin-to-new-york-direct/

JT9-Ds with those suck-in doors on climb thrust though...
    https://www.rte.ie/archives/2013/0415/381407-inaugural-flight-of-the-aer-lingus-boeing-747-from-dublin-to-jfk/
    Nine-abreast - postively posh! (he says nine - but it looks like 2 - 4 - 2)

Cathal O'Shannon was a great reporter. There's loads more good stuff from him in the late 60s/early 70s period on RTE archives.

"We don't have any men on them" :eek: :pac:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

HTCOne wrote: »
    To be fair, I’ve never spent more than 15 mins in that queue in at least 5 trips a year I’ve passed through, it ain’t bad.

I spent over 2 hours in the queue twice in T1 around 06/07. It was a s***show back then.

Agreed. The security queues in T2 are world class.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,753 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Agreed. The security queues in T2 are world class.

Aye I usually go through T2 security regardless of which terminal I am flying from, generally it saves alot of time, esp in the summer or if you are catching one of the first flights in the morning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭sweet_trip

HTCOne wrote: »

Spent one hour in t2 security August last year. Absolute **** show, most of the routes closed.all funneled into just two or three open ones. Very messy operation.
    Can't say I've many positive experiences with t2 security.

Advertisement