Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sanity Check - RX5700XT Junction Temp

Options
  • 21-06-2020 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys - I know the Junction temp is high by design but I have a Powercolor Red Devil and it's hitting the high 80s / low 90s. Not the best intake at the moment in my P400A Mesh as I'm waiting for fans. In fairness it's only really concerning me in FurMark and the Campaign Map of TotalWar Warhammer II, which also hammers GPUs for reasons best known to Creative Assembly.

Everything is stock even the power limit. The card doesn't seem to like even a mild undervolt sadly, but I'll have a bit of a play with that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

That does sound a bit high - how is the temp with side panel off? Also remove the PCI covers underneath the GPU.

Also you could try limiting frames to monitor refresh rate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Thanks K.O. Kiki, pretty much the same with the side panel off, maybe a degree or so lower. There's noting under the card except a wifi card but that's in the very bottom slot. Only thing I can think of is the side closest to the Motherboard there is an NVME SSD and a chip set (Asus Prime X570-P) fan maybe stopping air coming out that side, otherwise it's got fairly unobstructed.

Actually I tell a lie about everything stock, I have a 60% fan limit otherwise it sounds like a jet engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Actually I tell a lie about everything stock, I have a 60% fan limit otherwise it sounds like a jet engine.
    Personally, I have a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M20x, so I hear what I need to hear, and not my fan noise. My exhaust fans max RPM is 3000, but only hit 1700 when gaming in PUBG (temps would be 45 degrees).

Look at changing the max to 70%, and see what difference it makes.

the_syco wrote: »
    Personally, I have a pair of Audio-Technica ATH-M20x, so I hear what I need to hear, and not my fan noise. My exhaust fans max RPM is 3000, but only hit 1700 when gaming in PUBG (temps would be 45 degrees).

Look at changing the max to 70%, and see what difference it makes.

Thanks! Both the junction temp and the GPU temp are at 45C?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

Undervolting those cards helps with temperatures and fan curves without impeding performance to any noticeable degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

Those temps aren't dangerous or anything but that is high. The cards fans just aren't running enough obviously since you've limited them. If you look at reviews it seems to be a good 5700XT in general.

But, high 80's or 90c under 100% load with the cooler limited at 60% sounds about right. Fine, even.

Right I've been doing more testing tonight.

Temps are slightly better with the side panel on now that I've good airflow. My card is definitely not behaving like the one in the GamersNexus review. They had fans normalised at 40dBA and were getting 78C IIRC. I'm more and more convinced I've a bad cooler mount. The cooler isn't getting that warm and it's not spitting out a lot of hot air into the case compared to my old 1080ti.

So far my little 'all red team' project isn't going so well.

I've decided to run all stock and ramp up the fans a bit. At around 1875Mhz and 2500RPM fan speed I'm getting mid 80s*. Guess that'll have to do until I can summon up the courage to disassemble the card. At least these Red Devil's are only 6 screws.

*With the GPU edge temp barely hitting 60C which only reinforces it for me that it's a hot-spot due to a bad mount.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I wouldn't worry about junction temp too much. Nvidia don't even have a sensor to report this area for this very reason. It looks bad but it's not a problem.

A 5700xt uses a fair bit less power than a 1080ti which might explain why it's not spitting out as much hot air.

No harm in a rebuild though. You might improve temps a bit with better mounting and paste.

Thanks for all the help so far guys.

I know silicon lottery and all that, but is it usual for these cards to have very little undervolting 'head' room? Mine is set to 2033Mhz boost @ 1200mV and I can't even drop it 50mV.

• Advertisement

Yep. Very little wiggle room with mine as well. The days of getting big boosts are over. The manufacturers push them pretty hard out of the box.

This thing is wrecking my head. I'm getting random crashes in GTA 5. From what I can tell it's not temp related. Could it be my PSU - The only one I could get at the time as an Aerocool 600W unit.

Doing some reading and it's not a great PSU from what I can gather. I suppose not for the price! Can anyone suggest a good PSU for a R5 3600 and a 5700XT? Ideally that's in stock with Amazon. I'm thinking 600W is probably enough? Just 1 NVMe SSD so no mad number of HDDs or anything else I can think of that would take a lot of power.

Went for a Gigabyte P650B Kolink Enclave 700W. I'm getting random lock-ups on the desktop so thinking more that it's this ****ty PSU as it's pretty random rather than under load.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭simonp1

Went for a Gigabyte P650B Kolink Enclave 700W. I'm getting random lock-ups on the desktop so thinking more that it's this ****ty PSU as it's pretty random rather than under load.

Hey Samuel

Ive the same gpu and I'm getting similar crashes in Battlefield v ex. on loading this morning and one while in a game, then could play for another hour without issue. COD warfare never has an issue for some reason but reckon its driver related.

My junction temps are pushing 90+ under load too

Simon

simonp1 wrote: »
    Hey Samuel

Ive the same gpu and I'm getting similar crashes in Battlefield v ex. on loading this morning and one while in a game, then could play for another hour without issue. COD warfare never has an issue for some reason but reckon its driver related.

My junction temps are pushing 90+ under load too

Simon

Thanks Simon. I'm getting random crashes all over the place now. I'm really hoping it's the PSU and not the card as I bought it second hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

Have had very similar issues as the OP rma'd the card and have been told nothing bis wrong with it,bought a 850w seasonic bit Overkill but stock seems to be low atm.

daheadonu wrote: »
    Have had very similar issues as the OP rma'd the card and have been told nothing bis wrong with it,bought a 850w seasonic bit Overkill but stock seems to be low atm.

Stock is dire for PSUs at the moment. That's why I ended up with that aerocool unit! Knew I should have looked harder. Thanks for the feedback! Hope it sorts it for you.

Just looking at the 12V monitor on the MB it's switching from 11.98V to 12.076V. Can some one check my math here of 96mV ripple? That's high isn't it?

Thanks all I know this might be getting a bit boring :pac:

Edit: HW Monitor has it pegged at 12V but if I run Furmark it drops to 11.712V.

New PSU (KOLink Enclave 700W) wish me luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭daheadonu

Where did you pick it up?my order got changed to unknown when in stock...

daheadonu wrote: »
    Where did you pick it up?my order got changed to unknown when in stock...

Amazon, I back ordered it. There was only one left when mine got allocated.

So kids - without wanting to jinx myself - don't spend £40 on your PSU.

The saga continues with this bloody thing. About the only way I can get it stable is keep the temps under 80C with 100% fan under load. I've taken the cooler off an reapplied the thermal paste - No joy. I bought the card second hand - do you think it's been heat damaged?

That's supposed to be 1 of the best coolers for that card. No idea why yours is performing so badly.

What case are you using?

BloodBath wrote: »
    That's supposed to be 1 of the best coolers for that card. No idea why yours is performing so badly.

What case are you using?

Phanteks P400A, 3 intake 1 exhaust. I've even got the side panel off at the moment. It keeps the card nice and cool at 100% fan speed, it just sounds like a jet engine. I just can't work out why it crashes once it gets warm - I thought these AMD chips appeared to run that bit warmer because the hot-spot temp is exposed. Sorry to be clear the 80+C is the Junction temp still. I think Gamers Nexus had theirs running at 78C. GPU temp is in the 60s even with sensible fan settings.

Thanks for the reply BloodBath!

Hey no problem, bit of a head scratcher alright.

Are you sure it's not a driver issue? What driver are you using?

Have you tried lowering the clock speed and voltage a bit? Not the ideal solution but if it stops crashes then great.

BloodBath wrote: »
    Hey no problem, bit of a head scratcher alright.

Are you sure it's not a driver issue? What driver are you using?

Have you tried lowering the clock speed and voltage a bit? Not the ideal solution but if it stops crashes then great.

Aye, tried several drivers - DDUing each time. Tried down clocking, reduced power limit - which did help somewhat but only in so far as it kept the temps down for a bit I think.

I've even tried just installing the drivers without all the bloat and running MSI afterburner instead. No joy.

The kind of hard, complete system, lock ups it's generating leads me to believe it's hardware. I've another one on the way from Amazon so I'll try that. Just kicking myself I'm paying 2080 Super money for a RX 5700XT, well a 5700XT and a door stop.

Thanks again for your input, desperately hoping there's something I've overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

It's starting to sound like you got a bad card :(

Can you contact the seller to get the original receipt?

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    It's starting to sound like you got a bad card :(

Can you contact the seller to get the original receipt?

I broke the warranty seal :(

Advertisement