Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sanity Check - RX5700XT Junction Temp

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

The cashes your getting, is a crash to desktop or is your system locking up or power off?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I broke the warranty seal :(

https://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/consumers/shopping/guarantees-returns/faq/index_en.htm

EU law should have you covered (but I am not a lawyer).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Azza wrote: »
    The cashes your getting, is a crash to desktop or is your system locking up or power off?

Complete lock up and restart - I get the very occasional crash to desktop or dreaded AMD black screen crash.

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Thanks K.O. Kiki! I'll have the argument with them at least. Hopefully the guy who sold me the card will be of some help, but then the bar-steward sold me a duff card so I might be a bit stuck there. In fairness I suppose there is a slight chance it was the crappy PSU I was using.

I have a 5700XT a few months now and in the last month or so my system has just turned itself off while gaming. No warning just power down and restarts albeit slowly where it seems to load the by the BIOS screen 2-3 times before getting back to windows. Also the poweroff disabled XMP for my ram and I have to re-enable it.

Bit puzzled as to whats going on.
    I don't believe my PC is over heating and at 700w my PSU should be adequate though its abit of a no name brand.. When playing any game the issue would happen within 5 to 15 minutes.

I rolled back several AMD gpu drivers until about the March driver and that seemed to have fixed it. A week or so with no issue but its started again today.

Wondering if it could be updating to Windows 10 2004 or if my PSU isn't up to the job.

• Advertisement

I have a 5700XT a few months now and in the last month or so my system has just turned itself off while gaming. No warning just power down and restarts albeit slowly where it seems to load the by the BIOS screen 2-3 times before getting back to windows. Also the poweroff disabled XMP for my ram and I have to re-enable it.

Bit puzzled as to whats going on.
    I don't believe my PC is over heating and at 700w my PSU should be adequate though its abit of a no name brand.. When playing any game the issue would happen within 5 to 15 minutes.

I rolled back several AMD gpu drivers until about the March driver and that seemed to have fixed it. A week or so with no issue but its started again today.

Wondering if it could be updating to Windows 10 2004 or if my PSU isn't up to the job.

Thanks for sharing you're experience of it. I might try an even older driver than the one I'm using. I cant imagine a 700w unit isn't enough though. Running a 700w unit here too. I'm still on 1909.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

It would depend very much on the unit. 700W isn't always 700W, with the much cheaper brands instability can happen at half that wattage.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Its not windows or the drivers. They can't make your system power off, Blue screen sure, but not actually power off or interact with the bios like that. That's a electrical fault, linked to heat.

As others have said, cheap power supplys are never worth it. Would be worth checking out if there are any pro reviews on that model.

The one I have now is a decent unit it's a KOlink Enclave 700w - it's fairly high up on the PSU Hierarchy. I was wondering if the old unit might have damaged the card in some way rather than having been duped into buying a dud - but I think it's just the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

I was referring to the other poster whose system is straight up restarting, not bluescreening. For random BSOD's like you have, the best option is to swap out parts till you find the culprit using some deductive reasoning.

Eg, swapping the 5700 for a 750ti might tell you the graphics card was causing it, but might not be pointing out it was the 250 watt draw from the graphics card causing the psu to drop voltage.

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm leaning towards PSU issue. I don't think its overheating though. Temps never seemed that bad. I also opened the case but it made no difference.

Interestingly the only thing I've done differently is connected an Xbox One controller via USB. Perhaps my power requirements are so borderline at the moment the Xbox controller tipped it over the edge. I'll try without connecting the controller.

Am leaning towards a replacement PSU at this stage. No freezing, no bsod, no warning, just poof power off.

Perhaps as a temp measure I should try undervolting my GPU?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,574 ✭✭✭EoinHef

Yeah, I'm leaning towards PSU issue. I don't think its overheating though. Temps never seemed that bad. I also opened the case but it made no difference.

Interestingly the only thing I've done differently is connected an Xbox One controller via USB. Perhaps my power requirements are so borderline at the moment the Xbox controller tipped it over the edge. I'll try without connecting the controller.

Am leaning towards a replacement PSU at this stage. No freezing, no bsod, no warning, just poof power off.

Perhaps as a temp measure I should try undervolting my GPU?

Do you get the crashes with XMP left turned off?

Reminds me a bit of my old 3570K with 1666Mhz ram. XMP profile caused the PC to crash. Setting the ram to its rated speed and timings manually solved the problem. Never did figure out what was wrong with the profile.

I think so, not 100% sure but I'm pretty certain I wasn't aware that XMP was turned off after the power off issue first started happening and was using it without it turned on, but was still getting the restart.
    No issue outside of gaming with the restart/power off.

I was referring to the other poster whose system is straight up restarting, not bluescreening. For random BSOD's like you have, the best option is to swap out parts till you find the culprit using some deductive reasoning.

Eg, swapping the 5700 for a 750ti might tell you the graphics card was causing it, but might not be pointing out it was the 250 watt draw from the graphics card causing the psu to drop voltage.

Im getting complete lock ups and restarts also. Think it's just a dud card.

So far so good with the undervolt. No crashes yet but I did have one case of the dread black screen that's been plaguing 5700XT cards. In that regards I think I've been lucky.

Have noticed the recommended PSU for my GPU the MSI RX 5700XT Gaming X is 750w . So yeah I suspect the power downs are just the PSU been tapped out by the card. The undervolt seems to be reducing the power draw by around 20w. Hoping that's enough for now.

Right so maybe it will crash but I've the card in the second slot (16X) and it seems more stable and seems to be drawing less power. I've checked to make sure I didn't accidentally switch BIOS, and I'm still on the OC BIOS. What occurred to me is the Asus Z570-P I'm using has the chipset fan directly in behind the GPU. The fan is completely covered by it. Could it be the chipset overheating or perhaps a dodgey 16x slot?

Yeah ignore my last, Furmark crashed it although it was a soft crash.

Gotta love AMD cards, I genuinely think it's a lot more stable now but I'm just getting the odd AMD Gremlin with the odd soft lock and some odd behavior quitting out of games. Anyone think the chipset could be the issue? Might order a new motherboard as the design of this one is a bit silly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

I've convinced there was a faulty batch of these cards. No point wasting more money on other parts. It's most likely the card itself.

BloodBath wrote: »
    I've convinced there was a faulty batch of these cards. No point wasting more money on other parts. It's most likely the card itself.

Thanks Bloodbath. I think I'll try the new GPU. If it does the same thing at least I can swap the motherboard over FOC.

• Advertisement

So far so good with the undervolt. No crashes yet but I did have one case of the dread black screen that's been plaguing 5700XT cards. In that regards I think I've been lucky.

Have noticed the recommended PSU for my GPU the MSI RX 5700XT Gaming X is 750w . So yeah I suspect the power downs are just the PSU been tapped out by the card. The undervolt seems to be reducing the power draw by around 20w. Hoping that's enough for now.

They always say that to account for crap quality supplies. Realistically a 5700XT system under max CPU and GPU load is still only gonna draw about 350W.

That might trouble a low-tier 500W model, or a garbage quality 700W model, but any half decent 450-500w+ model will be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Exactly. A typical Ryzen 3600/3700 system with a 5700xt is going to be 300-350w max load which it will rarely be at.

I'd say do what you can to minimize it for now then sell it and replace with a next gen Nvidia or AMD card.

AMD said their new RDNA2 cards will be here in Q3 so within the next 2 months.

I ended up buying my 700w PSU a few years back in Maplin. Needed a PSU quickly and couldn't wait on delivery from overseas which I would normally do, so I just bought whatever Maplin was stocking at the time and wasn't ridiculously overpriced. Can't even recall the brand to be honest.

I was thinking of moving to RDNA 2 when they come out as well but I'd imagine I'll need to upgrade my PSU then as well.

Maplin now only sell branded PSU's but when they had physical stores here they used to sell low-end tat for ridiculous prices.

If it was cheap it Maplin, it's probably one of those units. Can't remember what they were called, but they were asically €30 PSU's selling for about €80.

I'll probably jinx myself again, but faulty card. The new one runs slightly cooler and has gone all day without crashing. Thanks everyone for keeping me sane during all of this.

Advertisement