Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DIY House Renno in IRE

• 21-06-2020 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm a Kiwi about to do a full house renovation in Ireland, for our new family home. Have done this before but not in Ireland - I can paint, plaster, tile and will get electrician and plumber in for those specifics. But wondering if there are any new or unusual IRE building codes I need to be aware of - for example I plan to do the install for replacement windows myself (and have done before), however someone mentioned to me that in Ireland window installations have to be signed off (with certificate) by a glazier or local council....is that correct?

That and any other info gladly received. cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,603 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

hammrtime wrote: »
    someone mentioned to me that in Ireland window installations have to be signed off (with certificate) by a glazier or local council....is that correct?

I don’t believe that this is the case. Sometimes you may breach planning conditions if you were to install PVC windows in a protected building where sash windows are a requirement. However this would not be the norm and a glazier is never a requirement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭maxamillius

Regarding windows I’d say once you have covered the fire safety regulations then there are no issues installing yourself,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

There's no problems installing windows.

Make sure fire board is used if timber framed or if cavity brick then the game is sealed similar with fire board .

Also pay particular attention to using airtight tape once windows are in. It's often overlooked and not very common even now. Many still use just crappy foam filler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,324 ✭✭✭✭muffler

+1 to what the last two posters said.

Advertisement