Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for help figuring out SW Payments!

Options
  • 21-06-2020 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi All,

Looking for some help figuring out the SW welfare system.

Bit of background, Husband and I have both worked for years. We have a mortgage and a toddler.

I have returned to work after Mat leave for 6 months, was bullied, life living hell and forced to leave. Taking case with WRC for constructive dismissal and trying to find a job but not having much luck as we are in the country and due to the pandemic.

In the mean time I am on illness benefit (I do have a long term illness which was made worse by the treatment in work). My Husband is on a low salary. €25k + potential bonus each month bringing salary to about €28K PA (bonus is not guaranteed but he works his butt off to try get it). We are just about keeping our heads above water with his salary and my SW payment. We have no savings as it all went on deposit to buy house.

I am really unwell and Illness Benefit is due to expire. I want to apply for Disability Allowance but what I can see from the means test online, we won't be eligible? My husband thinks he might need to reduce to part time to look after me and our child as I'm not coping and have no supports like family or childcare.

Can anyone advise what we can do?

Would I be eligible for DA with my husband working?
    Would be eligible if he went part time and took parental leave? or could he get carers allowance?
    Any there any supports to help pay mortgage? Or will we have to sell house?

If anyone could help us figure this out at all I would be so grateful. I can't make any sense of it.

All the best.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭ronivek

If your illness benefit is due to expire they should automatically begin the process to assess you for invalidity pension: https://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/social_welfare/social_welfare_payments/disability_and_illness/invalidity_pension.html

Essentially it’s a long term illness benefit paid at more or less the same rate without the 2 year limit. As to whether your own circumstances would qualify you I can’t say.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭lughildanach

As other poster states, Invalidity Pension may be the better option for you, as it is not means tested. You would receive 208.50 per week if eligible. You need at least 5 years work history to receive it, but the medical test is stricter than Disability Allowance. They refuse a lot of applications, but you can appeal, and the appeal rate is successful.

You can also apply for Disability (they won't pay this at the same time as Invalidity, but if they award you both, you can decide which is better for you). With your husband's salary of 25k, you would expect to receive approx 96 Euro per week (for a couple, extra amount paid if you have kids). If you husband reduces his wages, the amount of Disability would go up).

Carers is difficult to get. You need to show that you need full-time care, which is defined as frequent assistance throughout the day with your bodily functions (eg. toileting, dressing, mobility) or constant supervision for your own safety. By all means apply, and appeal if they refuse you, but just be aware of the medical criteria. He can work 18.5 hours per week and still get Carers Allowance. If you are on Disabiility or Invalidity, he would get a half rate Carers.

Advertisement