Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extremely basic door camera / screen

Options
  • 21-06-2020 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭

My parents are getting frequent irritating visitors (energy sales firms, beggers, door to door religious proselytisers, etc) and want some form of door camera system

Anything that uses a smartphone is out as my mother will never be able to use it; so really looking for something that has a dedicated internal display; and preferably has a battery powered camera.

There's a Yale one but the display is mounted to the back of the door - I'd prefer something they can see from another room so it just seems like they're out.

There used to be loads of these I'm sure but Ring and Nest Hello seem to have taken over entirely - anyone any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

L1011 wrote: »
    My parents are getting frequent irritating visitors (energy sales firms, beggers, door to door religious proselytisers, etc) and want some form of door camera system

Anything that uses a smartphone is out as my mother will never be able to use it; so really looking for something that has a dedicated internal display; and preferably has a battery powered camera.

There's a Yale one but the display is mounted to the back of the door - I'd prefer something they can see from another room so it just seems like they're out.

There used to be loads of these I'm sure but Ring and Nest Hello seem to have taken over entirely - anyone any suggestions?

The good thing about the ring and that is you can have it connected to your phone and can answer when not even at home.
    The ring can also work on the battery pack.

Other than that you would need some cable ran from door to station for power and video.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,012 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ring is out - cannot possibly be something that uses a phone. My mother can barely make a phone call.

Cabling is possible much as I'd prefer not to. Existing bell transformer is 4/8/12V, not sure what its actually configured to as I didn't pull it off the rail; but it'd be easier to just leave the doorbell I'd think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,713 ✭✭✭✭altor

L1011 wrote: »
    Ring is out - cannot possibly be something that uses a phone. My mother can barely make a phone call.

Cabling is possible much as I'd prefer not to. Existing bell transformer is 4/8/12V, not sure what its actually configured to as I didn't pull it off the rail; but it'd be easier to just leave the doorbell I'd think.

I was thinking from your end if you decided for the ring it would ring your phone.

Most of the door stations use 12V

Advertisement