Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden patio cost

Options
  • 21-06-2020 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I got a quote this week to remove a cobblelock patio of about 70m2 and replace with grey sandstone ans build a small walled shrubbery and the quote was €11,500 in the midwest which I thought was very high. I am assuming that they wouldnt have huge costs for materials as there will be very little filling in required as the new patio will sit exactly where the existing one is.

Can anyone tell me if they think this is excessive? Is there expensive materials and hire of machinary that I am not considering. Would I be better to ask a small builder to quote instead?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Jane98 wrote: »
    Hi,

I got a quote this week to remove a cobblelock patio of about 70m2 and replace with grey sandstone ans build a small walled shrubbery and the quote was €11,500 in the midwest which I thought was very high. I am assuming that they wouldnt have huge costs for materials as there will be very little filling in required as the new patio will sit exactly where the existing one is.

Can anyone tell me if they think this is excessive? Is there expensive materials and hire of machinary that I am not considering. Would I be better to ask a small builder to quote instead?

Does that quote include the supply of all materials and disposal of all waste?

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Jane98

Does that quote include the supply of all materials and disposal of all waste?

He was planning on leaving the cobblelock cause he told me I could probably sell it for a couple hundred euro. I dont think there would have been any other disposals. All other materials included I assume.

He was planning on leaving the cobblelock cause he told me I could probably sell it for a couple hundred euro. I dont think there would have been any other disposals. All other materials included I assume.

Considering there is 70 sq meters of sandstone paving and other materials involved you should really be certain rather than assuming.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

Seems high to me. Get personal recommendations from others and as many quotes as you can. The "you can always sell the coblelock " sounds well flakey. More likely doesnt want to clear the site after

[/B]

Considering there is 70 sq meters of sandstone paving and other materials involved you should really be certain rather than assuming.

yeah I was disappointed when he came back after a week with just a piece of paper with a rough design on it and the figure. There was no itemization of the price, which I feel there should be at that price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Exiled1

Get two other quotations for the work and specify whether materials included or otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭Alkers

Hi,

That's a mad price, we got a small 15sqm sandstone patio and another 5sqm of pathway for 1200e. We dug out the grass and leveled it underneath so more work than yours.

Is this a job a small builder might take on ?

Is it fair to assume less materials should be needed than if I was laying a new patio?

Assuming all materials are included, how does the price look?

yeah I was disappointed when he came back after a week with just a piece of paper with a rough design on it and the figure. There was no itemization of the price, which I feel there should be at that price.

You need to get a detailed quote from someone else Jane, do you realize how much room you will need to store 70 square meters of block paving while you are waiting for someone to buy it off you?

Will the buyer of this used block paving have to drag it over your new sandstone patio?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

Unlikely in this case but other thing need to be considered such as access. If it was a terrace house and everything had to be carried through the house in buckets this would be good value. Lots of things like this to consider.

When getting quotes work out everything in advance and have it costed and included. You don't want extras appearing onsite. Are you having a clothesline replaced anywhere, do you want outside electrical sockets or lights, any manholes in the area and will they need adjusting or are you going to use the paving tray covers or just a cheap plastic cover the manholes which will ruin the look of the area. Do you've an outside water tap or one to be relocated? Does the patio need drainage or a gully? Do you need to put in a duct or pipe from the house to the garden shed as with the whole working from home more likely to get more common will the shed ever be converted to a home office and need power and internet? You don't want to dig up a patio for this a year later. If you've a lot of steps do you need a handrail? Will the handrail be outdoor stainless steel so you don't have to paint it every year and it won't rust? Any chance you'll get an Air Source Heat Pump or new boiler in the future? Do pipes need to be put in for this?

I wouldn't let a builder lift a shovel unless everything is itemised in detailed and confirmed in writing.

• Advertisement

Dudda wrote: »
    Unlikely in this case but other thing need to be considered such as access. If it was a terrace house and everything had to be carried through the house in buckets this would be good value. Lots of things like this to consider.

When getting quotes work out everything in advance and have it costed and included. You don't want extras appearing onsite. Are you having a clothesline replaced anywhere, do you want outside electrical sockets or lights, any manholes in the area and will they need adjusting or are you going to use the paving tray covers or just a cheap plastic cover the manholes which will ruin the look of the area. Do you've an outside water tap or one to be relocated? Does the patio need drainage or a gully? Do you need to put in a duct or pipe from the house to the garden shed as with the whole working from home more likely to get more common will the shed ever be converted to a home office and need power and internet? You don't want to dig up a patio for this a year later. If you've a lot of steps do you need a handrail? Will the handrail be outdoor stainless steel so you don't have to paint it every year and it won't rust? Any chance you'll get an Air Source Heat Pump or new boiler in the future? Do pipes need to be put in for this?

I wouldn't let a builder lift a shovel unless everything is itemised in detailed and confirmed in writing.

Access is not a problem, a truck could pull up right beside the patio area.

There is one drain within the patio area. No steps or handrail needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

Access is not a problem, a truck could pull up right beside the patio area.

There is one drain within the patio area. No steps or handrail needed.

If it’s relevant - I’m getting quoted about 90€/m for porcelain laid. Approx €70/m for granite. That’s all in on top of a brand new base.

tedimc wrote: »
    If it’s relevant - I’m getting quoted about 90€/m for porcelain laid. Approx €70/m for granite. That’s all in on top of a brand new base.

Do you mean they wont have to prepare the base for those prices? Can I ask who quoted you those and are you hoping to go with them. Are you in Limerick.
    PM me if you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Robertirl

tedimc wrote: »

Hi, was this in Limerick? Can you PM me the details of who's providing this please. I have been quoted €111/m2 for standard man-made flags and 4.5 k labour to chip roughly the same size area, put up a small wall and lay a small bit of concrete

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

Do you mean they wont have to prepare the base for those prices? Can I ask who quoted you those and are you hoping to go with them. Are you in Limerick.
    PM me if you prefer.
    Robertirl wrote: »
    Hi, was this in Limerick? Can you PM me the details of who's providing this please. I have been quoted €111/m2 for standard man-made flags and 4.5 k labour to chip roughly the same size area, put up a small wall and lay a small bit of concrete

Sorry - just seeing these now. No, this was in Sligo - but I won't be recommending the company who quoted it, for a number of reasons.

The costs for this type of work is just going up and up the whole time, and really I don't think it is that complex. You could be better trying to source the slabs yourself for a big area and just paying a guy to fit only. You will also need to provide sand and cement. The stone company I used supplied a sandy type of resin grout. I did the grouting myself and was very straight forward.

I was chatting to a landscaper recently about finishing a lawn and they are booked out until the end of the year. Others have said the same. I am resigned to the fact that I'll be doing the rest of our work via the DIY route.

• Registered Users Posts: 965 ✭✭✭conor05

Ridiculous prices.

We got 90sqm Silver Grey Granite flags and a small retaining wall from Slieve Gullion Stone in Newry.

All supplied and fitted by one of their regulars for €8,900 in the North East.

Delighted with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

Don't remember what ours cost in terms of money. I would have preferred to have paid more and had fewer issues stemming from it though. Things I would say based on my experience:

Do get them to commit to a time-frame for the work as a condition of fulfilling the contract. Ours strung us along all summer then did it in very wet conditions which limited what could be done and the digger ruined our lawn with compaction on the wet clay.

Do formalise what you are getting done. They kept changing requirements in our case and arguing about things that had been agreed upon.

Do factor in drainage. If you are going with a concrete slab base then that is a big deal. I wouldn't go with a concrete slab base again and didn't want it the first time.

They built a soakput right against the foundations of our house under the gutter drain. Only just realised that and the implications of it. It will be a huge job to amend. They did this for two or three reasons: (1) They put the pipe from the patio surface drain in too low where it connects to the gutter drain, so it is below the existing outflow pipe. (2) The existing outflow pipe was fully clogged and just led to solid mud on the other side of the concrete apron. However I don't think they actually checked this out as they never said anything about it. (3) It is a big job to correct and they were already frustrated about how long the job was taking. The drain is in the slope of a hill and the only place you could put a soakaway is beyond the opposite corner of the house.

So basically the water that doesn't pool under out play tiles is sapping the foundations of our house.

Be aware of why the floor of your house is about a foot above the ground outside and the implications of changing that by raising the ground outside. Don't deal witha builder who pushes doing so without explaining why it might be a bad idea. Ours did not discuss that and refused to install a drain along the edge of the house that would have mitigated the issues that this causes.can cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

large-S1-DI453-POOL08-M-20190827171435.jpg

What would it cost to build something like this

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭bfclancy

large-S1-DI453-POOL08-M-20190827171435.jpg

What would it cost to build something like this

be lovely for the few nights of the year you could sit out there, would you do it for 80K? Excluding pool of course :cool:

Advertisement