Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Irish left react to the Garda murder

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    ......SF is playing a bigger game where they have to appeal to the middleground to fulfill what they believe to be their destiny; largest party North and South in a position to unify the country by poll. So they can swallow their pride for the greater good and do a 180 on their traditional position on "free state securocrats".

Scary If true.

Specially in light of the fact that not so long ago Sinn Fein were celebrating the release of Garda Killers from jail. Seems like 180° is Sinn Feins favourite angle, when it suits.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Well no, it's not a valid point. But I'll agree people on the left can be selective in their outrage (in terms of social media) but so are the right though. What's your point?

Leaving aside the left/right divide for a minute my point is a member of the Gardai is murdered and there is total silence about it and no message of sympathy from elected representatives of the left apart from ML.

Yet they are very vocal on stuff going on in the middle east and America the minute it happens.

Seems a bit strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Scary If true.

Specially in light of the fact that not so long ago Sinn Fein were celebrating the release of Garda Killers from jail. Seems like 180° is Sinn Feins favourite angle, when it suits.

Honestly it depends which way you look at it.

They took a big leap, and endured faction splits, to embrace electoral politics and the peace process. At a personal level I'd say their representatives feel genuine sympathy for a Garda killed on duty, as long as it wasn't for "the cause", in which case some pretty vile acts can be justified.
    The party has certainly evolved a lot since the 1970s and 1980s. It's unrealistic to assume we can come out of centuries of colonialism, and decades of the Troubles, without some messy hangovers from that history; like people who had connections to PIRA being in parliament, and possibly even government.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

You couldn't give a toss about Garda Colm Horkan. To you, he's little more than a useful stick to beat anti-racist politicians with.

It is completely irrelevant if the OP cares a jot about the deceased or not. The OP is not an elected official like the ppl he is criticising, and you don't really know if he cares or not.

I hear this kind of argument all the time and I find it utterly lame. If you say it's a 'useful stick' then you must AGREE with the point he is making. You haven't actually refuted the point, only the motivation for making it. To me his motivation is irrelevant if what he is saying has truth to it.

Honestly it depends which way you look at it.

..representatives feel genuine sympathy for a Garda killed on duty, as long as it wasn't for "the cause", in which case some pretty vile acts can be justified.

Justified? You mean in their warped minds.
    The party has certainly evolved a lot since the 1970s and 1980s. It's unrealistic to assume we can come out of centuries of colonialism, and decades of the Troubles, without some messy hangovers from that history; like people who had connections to PIRA being in parliament, and possibly even government.

Oh for God's sake, that is total and utter tosh of the highes order. Colonisation by the evil Brits or the Vikings or the Normans or whoever, has absolutely nothing to do with celebrating the release of Garda Killers from jail in this state.

The murder of any Garda is a Capital offense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

This thread is closed for review.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Mod

Thread is reopened. Please remain civil in discussing issues with other users. Any issues with posts, use the report button.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Justified? You mean in their warped minds.

Exactly. That's what I was saying.

I was trying to explain another group's perspective to you, but you only want to grandstand. You have that in common with the Shinnerbots at least.

Exactly. That's what I was saying.

I was trying to explain another group's perspective to you, but you only want to grandstand. You have that in common with the Shinnerbots at least.

I think you have the wrong end of the stick!

No grandstanding meant by highlighting the sheer hypocrisy & double speak of Sinn Fein, don't know why you would criticise me for saying that :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 27,971 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Actually, they don't.

I decided to have a look on Twitter to see who had bothered passing comment.

Of the 10 random FF FG TD accounts I looked at, any that have what you might call an active presence passed their condolences.

While I didn't bother searching through the accounts of SF TD's, I heard at least Mary Lou and Martin Kenny pass comment in the media, so at least some in SF have covered themselves.

As far as I've ever understood, the Irish hard left doesn't seem to have party leaderships. The PBP AAA Rise whatever bloc, all their TD's seem to have a roughly equal billing. They all seem to be the party spokesman on, well, they only really have five issues don't they (housing, welfare, immigration, imaginary Garda brutality, Greta worship)

Amazingly (or probably not that amazingly), between the accounts of Paul Murphy, Brid Smith, Ruth Coppinger (thankfully no longer a TD but still seems to think she is one), Mick Barry, Clare Daly, Richard Boyd Barrett, not a single one of these saw fit to pass comment on the murder.

Combined, you could probably write a book of their pages worth of comments about their take on the George Floyd death, BLM and other flavours of said month.

Be nice to have a journalist put them on the spot and ask them for a comment. See if they're willing to condemn the murder of an officer of an organisation the dregs of humanity who vote for them despise.

Are you surprised?

People that only want to sow dissension in society and to foster division are not going to show much if any sympathy for the Gardai, as it doesn't help their cause.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭LawBoy2018

How true are the rumblings as to why Stephen Silver wasn't fit to turn up for court (via webcam)? I hope it's just my neighbours being busybodies.

Advertisement