Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College consent crisis: students forced or threatened into sex

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭JimmyVik

Wait and see.
    If you havent been to a consent class it will be noted and will count against you when you are accused.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭gauchesnell

JimmyVik wrote: »
    Wait and see.
    If you havent been to a consent class it will be noted and will count against you when you are accused.

jesus christ shut up. Do you even read what you have written....when you are accused.

Good god what the hell are you doing to put yourself in a situation where you will be accused.

Stop and think before writing ok.

If you think you will be accused you are doing something wrong.

jesus christ shut up. Do you even read what you have written....when you are accused.

Good god what the hell are you doing to put yourself in a situation where you will be accused.

Stop and think before writing ok.

If you think you will be accused you are doing something wrong.

Calm down there.
    Nobody attacked you.
    And I wasnt accusing you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Nermal

No smoke without fire, eh, gauchesnell?

Calm down there.
    Nobody attacked you.
    And I wasnt accusing you.

what you have written is insulting though cop on. If what you have written is in anyway correct that is the attitude that needs correcting

its not funny at all

• Advertisement

Nermal wrote: »
    No smoke without fire, eh, gauchesnell?

well yes.

sickening

• Registered Users Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

what you have written is insulting though cop on. If what you have written is in anyway correct that is the attitude that needs correcting

its not funny at all

Can you tell me, what exactly did Sil Fox, an 87 year old man, do wrong to deserve a damaged reputation and the trauma of a court case?

He was dragged into a court in this country just last month.

https://www.thejournal.ie/sil-fox-sexual-assault-cleared-courts-5109092-May2020/

its not funny at all

Oh, the irony of the aggression of your posts here.
    Take a deep breath and think about it.

Oh, the irony of the aggression of your posts here.
    Take a deep breath and think about it.

stop and think yourself. I work in a university and deal directly with students. I have worked with students and staff on this consent training.

I have personal experience of students dealing with trauma following sexual harrassment and assault.

I have personal experience of sexual assault.

I have aggression towards people who think sexual harassment and assault is funny in any way. I have aggression to people who think its funny that they "might be accused".

I will assume you are male by that post by the way.

stop and think yourself. I work in a university and deal directly with students. I have worked with students and staff on this consent training.

I have personal experience of students dealing with trauma following sexual harrassment and assault.

I have personal experience of sexual assault.

I have aggression towards people who think sexual harassment and assault is funny in any way. I have aggression to people who think its funny that they "might be accused".

I will assume you are male by that post by the way.

You are possibly the most aggressive and accusatory poster in this thread.
    The way you have attacked and accused me is pathetic. And I have done absolutely nothing to you.
    You blew a simple comment out of all proportion and jumped on me like I should be castrated or something.
    Can you not see the irony?

• Advertisement

please stop. If you are student it is not in your best interest to post inflammatory stuff on the internet and could be traced back to you.

You have posted that not attending consent training would count against you when you are accused.

When you are accused.

This means you are currently engaging in unacceptable behaviour. Stop.

Noone think likes this - it is the same as saying when I am caught.

Disgusting and horrendous attitude to have. No excuses.

The way you have attacked and accused me is pathetic. And I have done absolutely nothing to you.
    You blew a simple comment out of all proportion and jumped on me like I should be castrated or something.

That you think your comment is trivial is the truly shocking point

That is the point of consent training

You took the time and wrote that down. Like being accused of sexual assault is normal and acceptable

Just stop

please stop. If you are student it is not in your best interest to post inflammatory stuff on the internet and could be traced back to you.

You have posted that not attending consent training would count against you when you are accused.

When you are accused.

OMG. Please. Stop accusing people of serious things that they have not done. This is frightening behavior you are displaying. I wont post anymore on the subject because you clearly cant see it.

OMG. Please. Stop accusing people of serious things that they have not done. This is frightening behavior you are displaying. I wont post anymore on the subject because you clearly cant see it.

Good dont post again. Your attitude is appalling and should not be tolerated anywhere.

I repeat if you think you will be accused you are doing something wrong.

It is not funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Can you tell me, what exactly did Sil Fox, an 87 year old man, do wrong to deserve a damaged reputation and the trauma of a court case?

He was dragged into a court in this country just last month.

https://www.thejournal.ie/sil-fox-sexual-assault-cleared-courts-5109092-May2020/

DPP needs to prosecute his accuser.
    Every person found to have lied about sexual assault needs to be prosecuted.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ooh escalating to veiled threats now eh? Off to the retraining camps we should go if we ask questions eh?

When you are accused.

Right to supposition of guilt. Nice. Oh by the by everybody has an agenda, yours becomes more plain to see with every post. And you wonder why some may have concerns about the possible agendas behind so called consent classes?

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Rodin wrote: »
    DPP needs to prosecute his accuser.
    Every person found to have lied about sexual assault needs to be prosecuted.
    Difficult to do. Not so dissimilar to sexual assault cases themselves. With many if not most such cases unless the court sees clear documentary proof it boils down to which side do you believe.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Wibbs wrote: »
    Ooh escalating to veiled threats now eh? Off to the retraining camps we should go if we ask questions eh?

Right to supposition of guilt. Nice. Oh by the by everybody has an agenda, yours becomes more plain to see with every post. And you wonder why some may have concerns about the possible agendas behind so called consent classes?

Oh good god. What agenda.

Have you actually attended any of these classes or even seen them in action.

Someone making fun of when they will be accused of sexual assault is not funny. Maybe thats just me.

Do you actually know how a university works???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

You know it might just turn out that the Covid restrictions and online classes in the universities could have the beneficial side effect of de-escalating the ideological radicalisation of the next generation of students. It would be an interesting experiment to track the level of self-righteous finger pointing and lynchings on Twitter and other social media over the next decade to see if there's a corresponding dip.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

If gauchesnell's posts are even a vague example of the way people on college campuses react to any difference of opinion re. Sexual assault then maybe someone in charge needs to rethink things.

The hysteria and impression of 'only this way is the right way' is frightening.

Not every man is a danger. Not every woman is a liar.

People need to be educated in a calm, factual manner not the silly hysteria that does no good to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

My view in this is they can be a few people out there who doesn’t know what rape and sexual assault is. Now include to types of people in this those who may think they can sleep with somebody who is passed out and those who think having somebody chat you up is sexual assault. But they aren’t overly common.
    517396.jpeg [IMG]https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/blob:<a href=https://web.whatsapp.com/e8b64e96-d873-4830-ab6e-513996e8081a target=_blank>[/img]https://web.whatsapp.com/e8b64e96-d873-4830-ab6e-513996e8081a</a>

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

Right to supposition of guilt. Nice. Oh by the by everybody has an agenda, yours becomes more plain to see with every post. And you wonder why some may have concerns about the possible agendas behind so called consent classes?[/quote

Everybody has an agenda???That's about insightful a comment as saying everybody has a cat ..

Do you actually know how a university works???
    Well according to this latest research they have rape stats that would shame urban war zones. So do pray tell inform us how a university works.

I note you avoided my point about your veiled threat to the other poster. Well, not so veiled. Clumsy and obvious more like. A be a good little boy now or I'll tell teacher basically. A little bit of social correction never hurt anyone eh?

As for agendas, like I said everyone has one, or at least a particular slant on a subject. Academia fosters them more than most arenas, which can be a positive and negative. Oh and a sure sign that you have an agenda is being absolutely convinced that you don't. Answer me this if you will; in a consent class what agency is ascribed and expected of from women?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

Everybody has an agenda?? Deep.
    That's about an insightful a comment as saying everybody has a cat.

If gauchesnell's posts are even a vague example of the way people on college campuses react to any difference of opinion re. Sexual assault then maybe someone in charge needs to rethink things.

People need to be educated in a calm, factual manner not the silly hysteria that does no good to anyone.
    Bingo. However in the current climate that tends towards the gender politic, with a side order of hysteria, good luck with that R.

southstar wrote: »
    Everybody has an agenda?? Deep.
    That's about an insightful a comment as saying everybody has a cat.
    Not everybody has a cat.

Well according to this latest research they have rape stats that would shame urban war zones. So do pray tell inform us how a university works.

I note you avoided my point about your veiled threat to the other poster. Well, not so veiled. Clumsy and obvious more like. A be a good little boy now or I'll tell teacher basically. A little bit of social correction never hurt anyone eh?

As for agendas, like I said everyone has one, or at least a particular slant on a subject. Academia fosters them more than most arenas, which can be a positive and negative. Oh and a sure sign that you have an agenda is being absolutely convinced that you don't. Answer me this if you will; in a consent class what agency is ascribed and expected of from women?

I honestly dont know what you are talking about. It is not a veiled threat. Students get reported for what they post online all they time - especially when there is a serious concern about their behaviour and if they study certain subjects.

I dont carry out the training by the way.

My apologies I dont undertstand your question - I simply cant see it as I am on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

The problem is there is no one in charge. College administrations are terrified of the student activists. I think 'regulatory capture' is the way they described how the banks here had the supposed regulatory authorities afraid of rocking the boat before the crash, basically 'don't touch us, we're holding the baby', whereas here it's 'don't touch us, we're carrying the bomb'.

• Advertisement

I think you are confusing the law and university rules and practices

It is not a difference of opinion.

I take objection to anyone who think sexual assault is funny and "they will be accussed". If this person was a student and depending on what they study that is a concern.

Advertisement