Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for deal on new GTX 1080 ti or possibly second hand.

Options
  • 22-06-2020 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭

Have decided on the card, but there are so many options and variations and prices... can anybody recommend one good deal...
    Is there a particular site that does great deals... ?

Its for graphic/3d work, so gaming isn't hugely relevant.

Thanks.
    A.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

GTX 1080 Ti went EOL in November 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Komsomolitz

Theres usually the odd second hand 1080 ti on adverts.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Alancillhill

Thanks, the prices on adverts are not realistic, will try ebay from UK. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

They tend to still go for fairly high prices, considering it'd be 2nd hand with zero warranty surely you'd be better off with a new card?

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Komsomolitz

Thanks, the prices on adverts are not realistic, will try ebay from UK. Thanks.

Yeah there's still a fairly high demand for them, hence the prices, or maybe it's just their reputation for so long being the top dog in many ways. I think if you're willing to wait a few months you could probably get one a lot cheaper when the next generation of nvidia cards are expected to be released in September, there's a thread here dedicated to the chatter around them.

I'm not sure why you're dead set on the 1080 TI but if you're willing to branch out a bit, there are a fair few other cards out there that come pretty close in performance to it that are a lot cheaper. Maybe if you list your requirements exactly, someone might give you a good recommendation on alternatives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Even in the US market second hand the 1080ti overpriced.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Do you need it right now?

I'd wait for their new gen of cards if possible or just go for a 2060/2070 super which will offer similar performance for the same price or less with RTX features like ray tracing hardware on top which some of the 3d rendering software can make use of. Less memory though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

BloodBath wrote: »
    Do you need it right now?

I'd wait for their new gen of cards if possible or just go for a 2060/2070 super which will offer similar performance for the same price or less with RTX features like ray tracing hardware on top which some of the 3d rendering software can make use of. Less memory though.

I wait as suggested THEN buy a 1080ti for no more than €250 :pac:

I'll be selling my 1080Ti when i upgrade at the end of the year. Won't be letting it go for 250 though. :pac:

Thanks everyone,
    The detail :
    Upgrading an old HPz800 which is still a superb machine from a Quadro 6000.
    Thats actually still a good card but the newer quadros are so expensive, it kind of rules them out. From my research, a 1080, 1080TI would be the last good card that could max out this machine balancing wwhat it would draw from the power supply and stability issues with other components. If my reading is right the 1080TI would give a x4 performance increase from what I have with a little more instability. z800s and Quadros are built to never die.

So... it could be a case of buying one and trying it out and selling on ebay if the performance isnt noticeable. Then the money will go into a new machine in due course, 2060s etc.
    Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

How about the RTX 2060 "KO"?

It's a 2060 with some parts of a 2080 die - GamersNexus found it was superb in 3D rendering workloads.

Also the OPs last post doesn't really make any sense. Stability issues with other components? Performance increase with a little more "instability"?

Dunno what research has been done but sounds a bit nonsensical to be honest! The 1080Ti drinks way more juice under load than a 2060 Super, or a 2070 Super either.

Your system is either capable of supporting a card or not. If a 1080Ti will work, basically any RTX card will too unless there is a bios lock limiting to older cards.

Thanks, the stability issues are due to maxing out power - I know from others who modded the z800, its a balancing act as the gaming cards draw more power and the z800s were designed for the more stable quadros. (they are amazing).
    My pci lanes are quite full, so have to be careful - about it overheating which it doesn't do with the quadros. ie space around the GPU and the z800 does an auto shut off if it doesn't like the amount of power being used or heat.

Also the z800 is a 2011 machine, so they don't maintain specs! saying it supports 2080s etc, so you have to go by youtube and forums of other users. For example z800 is incapable of booting - from m.2 drives, yet I got the only one in the world that will boot! (Kingston HyperX predator) - so the z800 is amazing but it's complicated!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

Can I ask how you managed to get an m.2 drive to work? I assume some sort of PCIe card?

If heat and power usage are issues then maybe a 1080ti is not the card to be looking at. A 2070 super might be a better shout.

How much graphics memory do you need? That would be my main gripe with that 2060 KO.

Hi, honestly, what you are saying still doesn't make sense. A power supply will simply supply power as its needed - the nature of the power draw is entirely irrelevant as long as the PSU is up to the job.

The 1080Ti will actually draw more power than an RTX2070 so I'm not sure how it can be determined that it's a more stable card.

From a quick google there are plenty of people saying they have GTX1660Ti's and RTX cards installed in their z800's without issue. Also of course there is no way for an M2 to work natively in an old chipset but an adaptor works - there is no reason why only one single M2 in the world would work via this method, again, there are no end of people on forums with Z800's using several other M2's via adapter.

You need to be careful sometimes of official HP forums and the like. I see responses all the time in there that are completely wrong and give blatantly false info based off ancient, outdated manuals/spec sheets rather than actual real world knowledge.

I don't think it's complicated at all but some people are making it seem complicated for you. I've not used a Z800 but I've installed all sorts of cards into Z240's, Z420's and 620's and never had any issues whatsoever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,649 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Some people use an external PSU when using a power hungry GFX in the z800.
    I have a Z600 I stuck with a 1050ti for that reason. I think if you really are at the end of the useful life of the machine. Its nice having the dual hex zeons, but really you could build a machine with similar multi-core performance, very cheaply and it would have better all round performance.

I got mine for free, added the CPU's, 32GB RAM and 1050ti for about 160. No beating that value. But I could never get USB 3 card to work well in it.

I hear there is a HP drive that will work on the PCI slot. People are looking for nuts prices for them though.
    I bought a z230 instead to get full speed USB3. I'll probably buy a newer one to get bootable M2.

If i was doing something that required a lot of rendering or such, moving to multiple machines always worked better for me than having just one powerful machine. But it depends you might need it for editing, or drafting or something. Then you want it one machine.

There is a version of the Kingston HyperX predator, PCI adapter that can be used as bootable, its harder to get, and maybe more difficult now. It was some issue to do with BIOS, but literally nothing else works. Hp forums were where I found this info, so I have OS on one and another for data, 1400mb per sec - Crystal Disk Mark. This is z800 specific, on later z series the bootable m.2 is not an issue AFAIK

The stability issue is GTX vs Quadro, not vs anything else. I have been using Quadros for 15 years and know the gaming cards can let people down in mission critical work.

This guy shows some of the wiring for the newer cards... I don't fully understand but if the adapters are not right - it won't work.
    (Something to do with rails etc.)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJBwAEwh488

For me one fast machine with swappable hardware, is the best solution!

Seems cheaper just to buy a newer used workstation a few generations newer. Think its starts about the z420/430 I'm open to correction.

I have used a GTX1080 in the Z420 with the stock power supply and it worked fine. Though it was bottlenecked at the time by the CPU, but no issue running it, think the stock PSU was a 600W model so plenty headroom though needed molex adaptors for the 8pin.

The Z800 I believe comes with either an 800 or 1100W PSU so no card is going to trouble it.

Even your Z600 example - that comes with a 650W stock PSU, there's no reason you would be limited to a GTX1050Ti. It would support very high end cards.

Yes, I understand that the Quadro is less demanding than the RTX...that's obvious.

But the GTX1080Ti isn't a Quadro - it's a very power hungry gaming card. That's why I can't understand how it is supposedly more "stable" than an RTX2070 even though it drinks more juice and produces more heat.

• Advertisement

The issue is the power through the slot and 8 pin power. You can get adapter cables but I don't think the PSU in the older machines had enough power on the right rail if that's the correct terminology.

I don't dispute that but what I'm saying is - even if that were the case, how could the OP deduce that the 1080Ti would be fine and an RTX2070 would not be, even though the latter draws less power?

Well I agree you there.

Just not what you posted above that. Lots of videos online YouTube etc about the issues with power on the z600/z800.

Advertisement