Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ ONE, 2, Junior, and Player

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,803 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

I wonder is it because they had to bid a higher amount to win them in 2016 because Ireland were playing and they overspent? So were able to recoup some of that by offering a package to TV3? Ireland haven't been in a tournament finals since…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭RoTelly

EBU generally buy these rights for their members, perhaps competing countries are charged more, but I can't imagine it being the case. Unless Ireland gets to the semi-finals, your not going to see a major difference in the audience for these games, Soccer viewing during the WC and Euro is always high.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 843 ✭✭✭decor58

Yeah, just checked again , the new version, with the live option, it has the player logo in white, on a 2021 LM6370.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭deezell

You're right of course, I had a brain fart, though with -3 GD they were third in the 3 point Queue, but the Italy draw has eliminated one possible 3 point competitor. It might yet depend on group F on Wednesday.

Croatia otoh have a miniscule chance on 2 points and -3 gd. They'd need the following. Slovenia must lose by 3 nil, and Denmark must either win, or lose 3 nil also, in group C tomorrow. If that happens then Czechia and Georgia must also both lose in group F on Wednesday. That would leave Croatia best 2 pointer on -3 gd with most goals for. Thats the only way it can happen (I Think) as there's already 3 three pointers above them. Bizarre, they were both pretty much through before the Italian equaliser.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭iseegirls

I think at the time RTE said the 2016 General Elections takes a huge amount of resources and money. Did they also do much for the Centenary of the Easter Rising? Trying to think of other major events that they needed to cover. Having that on the same year as the Euros and Olympics meant they need to sell some of its Euro rights.

TV3 didn't get any ROI games, which is something the head of TV3 said that's something they shouldn't have happened - maybe a better negotiation should have happened. Although, he's always going to say that. They showed 1 Northern Ireland group game, 2 England group games and 1 Wales game which was their quarter-final.

Also oddly, they had 5 games live from Euro 2004. 4 games from the final group stage matches - which see 2 games played at the same time. Looks like RTE had first choice on games. They also showed Swiss v Croatia group game on a Sunday which clashed with RTE1's live GAA, and Network 2's live coverage of Formula 1.

• Advertisement

And at the time under another username here on board I would have said.

Irish Government nearly always last a full term if not for 4 years, even at the height of the crisis the government remained in power until 2011, 4 years from 2007, the next government had a 5 year term until 2016 and then a 4 year government until 2020, this is not unusual.

The Centenary of the Easter Rising when was that … oh a 100 years after the Easter rising … RTÉ would have had some plan in place for such a celebration.

I won't excuse RTÉ for planned events like the Euros, WC, RWC and so on, these are known 4 year from the previous set of games. I will give RTÉ Covid and the banking crisis as other events, during the period, but weren't we all living through that!

I see BBC 1 and 2 air both games, BBC 3 and 4 could have taken the other game rather than BBC 1, at least they are both in HD.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Late Noods Era Guy

Remember the Venus Flytrap Era of RTE Two back in 2009

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

Put on the rte news channel for the Portugal match last night.Just to see how bad the picture was and it was unwatchable. Watched it on ITV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Rick_

The "green room" idents for RTÉ TWO were great, I think the current graphics are… for a word, awful, in my opinion.

They were great but I have a bias towards the 2009 Era Of RTE Two because that's I remember the most. I only a tiny bit of the green room when I was only a tiny boy.

• Advertisement

You should take a look back at some of the N2 Idents from the late 90s

Also the tower from the Mid-1990s.

I always hated the rebrand back to RTÉ TWO but in fairness both the rooms and the venus fly trap are better than the very quickly stale RTÉ2 since 2014.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Rick_

Yeah, the N2 and first RTÉ TWO look were my era and definitely what comes to mind when I think of RTÉ 2. It was a channel regularly watched in our house growing up. Nowadays, it's never on unless there's a match on or a random film when channel hopping at night.

Yeah but they should do a BBC Two for RTÈ Two by getting back the Venus Flytrap Era, N2 Era and Some of The Green Room ERA.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭Shan Doras

Will RTE be able to put any interesting back catalogue gems on the player going forward or will stuff like actor repeat fees stand in the way? Remini Riddle, Glenroe, The 1992 prototype version of Ros Na Run and vintage Fair city would be great

I wonder what the metrics and fees are for streamed media. Surely minuscule if the fees paid for music streaming are any thing to go by. How much is 'Bella' in fair City due if one person watches his 30 seconds total in an episode?

There is something about the agreement RTÉ reached with the Actors Union on repeats, Fair City was not initally on their Player or on their +1 service, while TG4 dropped their summer repeats of Ros Na Run.

RTÉ did try two streaming channels on the player, RTÉ Archives and RTÉ Food, neither lasted long. I think they'd do well to utilize RTÉ GOLD for Archives, I know they do an On this Day on Gold but that they point people over to the player/archives site to see. They could even use the RTÉ NEWS channel for a small cross over with RTÉ GOLD.

______

Yesterday

I though I'd asked here if RTÉ election coverage for the UK GE was wider than its coverage of Ireland Local and European elections?

Saturday

9:00 to 10:00 Radio 1 coverage started the morning of the boxes opening

12:00 to 13:30 RTÉ 1 coverage

6:00 to 7:00 RTÉ 1 extended Six One news

Sunday

9 to 11 Radio 1 (followed by BOC and This Week, I assume BOC continued with coverage but hard to know)

6pm coverage with Claire Byrne

10pm late debate coverage

12pm RTÉ ONE (not sure until what time)

9:35 RTÉ ONE coverage again not sure when this ended

Prime Time Election Special on Monday night along with Late Debate on Radio 1

Over to the UK election

Thursday

9:45 coverage starts on Radio 1

10pm coverage starts on RTÉ 1, with exit poll and Prime Time

11pm to 4am coverage of results

Friday

6am start for morning Ireland

Claire Byrne's Today will continue with coverage

12pm Special Election coverage for 90mins

6pm Six One presented from Westminister.

Also coverage for both in Irish. Does this not seem like a strange way to go for a foreign election?

______

Yesterday

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

You have to appreciate that while this is a foreign election for us down south it is a domestic election in Northern Ireland and RTE’s statutory remit includes providing coverage to events in Northern Ireland. So it is not as foreign as it might first seem.

RTE will no doubt also carry live coverage of the US presidential election in November.

This maybe the case but it still seems like more coverage that what was given to Locals and European Elections. And a massive focus on live coverage from Westminster and London rather than Belfast (though that will be covered.)

And why no coverage of the French Elections?

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 17,181 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

West Brit infested RTE letting their mask slip.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,803 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Because they're covering the UK election? Which includes Northern Ireland?

More like they're West Europeans rejoicing subtly in the Tory slaughter.

No actual politics discussion here and in particular, there are to be no further replies to Sligeach’s post.

Sligeach warned for trolling.

Sorry, posted before page refreshed your warning.

On the basis of your above post, I will delete your post in lieu of a ban.

Fair enough Guv.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

• Advertisement

Streaming radio channel. Also available on ASaorview. Was available on DAB digital broadcast radio, but the entire DAB service was shut down for cost cutting reasons, so all the DAB receivers in newer cars (2016 on approx) are useless here. It can be picked up on Android auto/Apple Carplay equipped newer cars via phone broadband or Car sim connection, using a Car compatible app like TuneIn. Also via your phone incar audio bluetooth source if equipped, and at home on any of the media gadgets like Alexa or OK Google. Here 'tis on d'internet, very easy on the ear.

https://www.rte.ie/radio/gold/

Post edited by deezell on

Advertisement