Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTÉ ONE, 2, Junior, and Player

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭RoTelly

Different times they generally got it right most times

RTÉ 2 (1978) as rebroadcaster of programming from the UK and more US programming

RTÉ 2 (1986) bring it in line with RTÉ 1

NETWORK 2 (1988) moving children's content largely over to 2, youth programming, some original programming.

NETWORK TWO (1996) keeping much with 1988 but that RTÉ branding was used more

N2 (1997) extending its programming, making daytime for children's content.

RTÉ N2 (2003) the start of its downfall

RTÉ TWO (2004) still producing some irish content but slowly dying

RTÉ2 (2014) on life support, continued cuts to the service.

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,775 ✭✭✭deezell

The forty shades of 2! Or should that be the 40 sh......

Did the plan for an Irish language weekly current affairs program go out the door with Jon Williams ? I thought it would have been a perfect vehicle for grainne seoige to relaunch her TV career with RTE

I get the feeling that the Seoiges' currency has run out. In this thicktok age you daren't leave the public view for a week, let alone years, else you're yesterday's news. Even if you desperately need a break, do something, a crappy quiz show, or drive around in a camper van, or some other drivel.

She's been demoted to The Six O'Clock Show. Unlikely that the News and Current Affairs programme As Geailge will see the light of day TBH.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭butwhynot

RTÉjr seems to be in high(er) definition on the player now. Last time I checked it was broadcasting in SD but labelled HD similar to RTÉ News

• Registered Users Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭mackersdublin

RTÉ News & RTÉjr have been available on the web version player in 1080p for ages

https://www.rte.ie/player/onnow

• Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭political analyst

What the hell is the point of these live series (e.g. Big Week on the Farm, the upcoming Hospital Live) that RTÉ 1 shows on consecutive nights in occasional weeks?

It's likely as a result of research into current viewing habits, where people prefer to serially view a reality show over a short period, or binge watch the whole thing on player. Attention spans are shorter, you're not likely to get a particular audience segment tuning in once a week for a month or two. Short sharp production over 3 or 4 nights, push it on player from night one, and advertise constantly in the breaks until you feel like screaming at the TV

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭butwhynot

Yes, the option for 1080p has been there for ages, but the quality was the same whether you chose 1080p or 540p. Now there’s a difference. RTÉ News is definitely not HD

• Advertisement

Just reading that RTÉ's coverage of the one of the hurling games when out on RTÉ2 on Sky in Irish, however only quickly glanced at the article am I safe to assume that those watching that game on Sky happened to be on the RTÉ News channel?

Also why simucast the game on the News Channel?

______

Yesterday

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Here’s the only report I can find of it, apparently affected Sky viewers only.

Theyve been doing the News Channel Irish commentaries of the latter stages for a few years now. You’ll probably remember that RTE had a decades old tradition of doing Minor commentaries in Irish but they lost the rights to those games about a decade ago and I suspect this practice possibly arose out of that gap.

AFAIK RTÉ also provide the commentary as part of the audio options on RTÉ2, so there is no real need for this simulcast on the RTÉ News Channel (Easier to call it RTÉ News Now TBH).

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Yes it was always available on the Irish audio channel on Saorview at least. Then for some reason they direct viewers wanting Irish to go to the news channel with the worse picture quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,912 ✭✭✭JDxtra

RTE broadcasting a movie at the moment in lieu of The Late Late Show. Movie is The Wedding Planner. The image quality is poor - almost like an SD copy that was upscaled. The ads actually look better!

Not the first time I’ve seen this happen. Did they cheap out and only buy the rights to SD versions??

• Must say RTE’s inability to broadcast extra live events beyond its existing linear channels has been shown up by this years expanded GAA championship. The reason i’d say this, is that this year for the first time the BBC’s extra Wimbledon coverage will be online only bar a single red button channel via satellite. RTE badly needs to develop its online resources to cope IMO. If it wasn’t for independent local radio, FTA coverage of GAA would be really lacking.

They have broadcast simultaneous fixtures via the RTE News Channel in the past. I think your pointing the finger in the wrong direction this time, the fault’s with the TV deal and the apparently enchanted role of GAAGO (who seem to be broadcasting way more fixtures than Sky, who typically had a max of two Saturday evening fixtures, ever did).

• But since RTE are involved in the GAA Go venture aren’t they dodging their PSB obligations somewhat? If they can supply the infrastructure for it why can’t they expand the capabilities of their own player to provide online FTA coverage?

I think GAA sports are way past being a public service, or an extension of the free state. Even in the 60s RTE were criticised for covering a soccer International I think instead of some gaa match, though I can't recall the exact details.

• Advertisement

To be clear, the Government has only listed the All Ireland Finals as requiring free to air coverage. The GAA are absolutely free to sell their rights for any other matches to whoever they choose.

I have my misgivings about RTE’s involvement with GAAGO. The BBC have put clear Chinese walls between their PSB channels and their UKTV commercial channels, and they don’t cross promote. RTE cross promote GAAGO which to me gives rise to significant competition concerns, if license fee money is being used to give GAAGO free publicity.

Leaving that aside however, for rights purposes, RTE and GAAGO have to be seen as two different entities. This isn’t (or shouldn’t be, anyway) a case of RTE moving fixtures to GAAGO that should be broadcast on RTE. These are games that had Sky retained the rights should have been on Sky or games that wouldn’t have been on tv anyway.

Do they cross promo GAA GO, I think RTÉ's only cross promotion is on the news after a match, to say pictures from GAA GO, I don't think RTÉ ever advertise GAA GO as part of the promos or during other match as such ".. you can watch the next game over on GAA GO ..."

This is wrong if they do this, if they don't do it for TG4 or VMTV sports.

however IMO TG4, VMTV and RTÉ should all show where games are going to be on regardless of channel. e.g. on TV news if TG4 has a game then say it will be on TG4, if VMTV are showing horse racing say it will be on VMTV.

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 9,773 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I don't recall seeing any promotion for RTÉ on GAA Go. I have seen RTÉ say if a game will be on GAA Go though when they are saying what games are on a particular weekend.

It’s more mentions during programming rather than full-blown promos. It does happen though, and it’s not just oral - it will appear at the bottom of the screen too from time to time.

This weekend there’s going to be simultaneous games on RTE One and Two btw, with Galway v Mayo on RTE One at Sunday 3pm while the normal double bill is on RTE Two, with Meath v Antrim (2pm) and Down v Laois (4pm) featured. RTE also have a hurling double bill on Saturday, Dublin v Clare and Galway v Tipperary.

If it is mentions during a game, as such to say, "the next game will be on GAA GO" then this is an issue, I can understand that RTÉ and VMTV came to agreement to highlight when games were on each others channels for the six nations but I don't think RTÉ could legitimate think that such promotions on RTÉ Sports' coverage of GAA could allow them to highlight if the next game is on GAA GO.

However if RTÉ are playing coverage from GAA GO and the logo is on screen I have no issue with this.

I assume the arrangement will continue with RWC 2023 also.

______

Yesterday

Shortsighted for RTÉ to bring Ray D'Arcy into RTÉ, TBH. If a show doesn't do all that well you axe the show, The Den did alright, but it missed some of the key aspect of The Den IMO and failed to bring in a significant audience.

______

Yesterday

Anyway nothing to see here 😂

______

Yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 3,018 ✭✭✭iseegirls

With The Ellen Degeneres Show finished, looks like RTE have taken over The Kelly Clarkson Show from VMTV.

Series 4 starting at 10:10am on Monday 3rd July. Oddly VMTV only showed episodes 1-60 in Series 3 (there are 180 in Series 3), and in true VMTV style - most of those episodes have been shown up to 8 times across VM2 and VM4 over the past 8 months, and look to be still continuing to be shown/repeated next month.

______

Yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭AJB39

It’s perfect daytime fodder and I doubt it costs very much relative to other programmes.

Advertisement