Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

anyone arrived back at Dublin Airport recently ?

• 22-06-2020 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

does anybody know what is the current situation for those coming back to Ireland from abroad ?

Are they really stopping and everyone coming back in and checking their temperatures etc

are the guards there asking people questions about where they have been and and making sure they to fill in the Location forms

How stringently are passengers being vetted before they are allowed back in ?.

I just wonder how strictly this 14 day self isolation / quarantine is actually being enforced.

Do they actually send someone out to your house to ensure you are there , or do they just call or send a text ?.......

I would like to know how seriously the authorities are taking the seriousness of the situation .

I fear that in reality there are little of no checks and we will soon be back in another lockdown when the 2nd wave inevitably hits

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

You must complete the form, its the law...

Passenger locator/landing forms are the norm globally regardless of COVID, we are somewhat insulated from them by the EU,

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭kapisko1PL

My wife flew into Dublin from Berlin on June 13th.

Yes, it was compulsory to fill in the Locator Form.

No, nobody has physically checked the home address at which she's "self isolating".

Yes, we got 1 (one) phone call to make sure the details she has provided in the Locator form is accurate.

Phone call looked like this:

"Hello, is this "wifeys name"?"
    "No, it's her husband, she gave my number as she' doesn't have an Irish number yet"
    "Ah ok, is she at home?"
    "Yes, she is"
    "Ok. Great. Thank you. Have a nice day"
    "You too".

Temperature checks, yes they did.

Masks, everyone on the plane had one.

Based on the Irish times article, the quarantine is not compulsory but "strongly advised".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

Family member came back for the first time since March last week. Had to provide the signed form, asked for his reason for travel, where was he going, where was he staying and how was he travelling there. Also reminded of the recommendation to quarantine.

Also got a phone call during the week asking him to confirm he was where he stated on the form.

Said the staff were very professional but it was a lot more than the usual look at the Irish passport and get waived on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Arrived in Belfast international airport yesterday, no border security at all, a few people with Dublin and country accents most likely to avoid having to complete the ridiculous self isolate form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

Arrived this morning from Heathrow. Completed the form. Little or no checks otherwise

• Advertisement

niallo32 wrote: »
    Arrived this morning from Heathrow. Completed the form. Little or no checks otherwise

what did they say out of curiosity?

no border security at Belfast airport yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

jonnny68 wrote: »
    Arrived in Belfast international airport yesterday, no border security at all, a few people with Dublin and country accents most likely to avoid having to complete the ridiculous self isolate form.

What’s ridiculous about it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

At a guess, the form is mandatory but the isolation isn't.

Though it's something for tracing should the worst happen, though how effective???

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

Because it's something which should have been done in March, not at the end of May which is far too late, the worst is they extended it until July 9th meaning more jobs will probably be lost in the aviation and travel industry.

oh god, here we go again

• Advertisement

Because it's something which should have been done in March, not at the end of May which is far too late, the worst is they extended it until July 9th meaning more jobs will probably be lost in the aviation and travel industry.

Well very much agree on this, we knew it was coming and how it would get here but did nothing.

Talk about closing the stable door after the horse has bolted.

https://www.rte.ie/news/business/2020/0619/1148502-aer-lingus-job-losses-covid/

the longer these restrictions go on the more job loses there will be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Is it true that flights going out of Ireland are checked for people on welfare and fellows returning with their social welfare cut off?

theguzman wrote: »
    Is it true that flights going out of Ireland are checked for people on welfare and fellows returning with their social welfare cut off?

someone mentioned this but i didnt see anyone at all like this on last Saturday morning.

someone mentioned this but i didnt see anyone at all like this on last Saturday morning.

I know a person who had his Covid-19 payment money cut off after someone impersonated him on a flight with his passport which had been stolen previously. This guy never left his house at all during lockdown and recently had his card rejected whilst buying groceries, turned out he got no payment for a month and when he rang up to find out where was his money he was told he boarded a flight to Europe and his payment was subsequently cut off. He is appealing this now. Are people not removing their masks for a simple ID check? A mask and a stolen passport is a gangsters dream.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

I know a person who had his Covid-19 payment money cut off after someone impersonated him on a flight with his passport which had been stolen previously. This guy never left his house at all during lockdown and recently had his card rejected whilst buying groceries, turned out he got no payment for a month and when he rang up to find out where was his money he was told he boarded a flight to Europe and his payment was subsequently cut off. He is appealing this now. Are people not removing their masks for a simple ID check? A mask and a stolen passport is a gangsters dream.

are they identical twins?

Wuff Wuff wrote: »
    are they identical twins?

My mate reckons that whoever stole the passport was probably wearing a mask and not asked to remove it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

My mate reckons that whoever stole the passport was probably wearing a mask and not asked to remove it.

A lot of the checks now are automated facial recognition, high risk the person took travelling with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭radiotrickster

Got told today in work that now when we apply for annual leave, we've to declare if it's being used for travel abroad and have to take an extra two weeks off (with our annual leave) after returning to self-isolate. Shut down the ideas a few people had of still going to Spain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

This is a myth

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

You think people would fly to Belfast and arrange travel to Dublin/elsewhere to avoid filling in a form?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭niallo32

what did they say out of curiosity?

no border security at Belfast airport yesterday.

Asked me where I was coming from when I didn't have a form completed, told him did a walk on and off in LHR, he asked why, I said it was a long story.

That was it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Got told today in work that now when we apply for annual leave, we've to declare if it's being used for travel abroad and have to take an extra two weeks off (with our annual leave) after returning to self-isolate. Shut down the ideas a few people had of still going to Spain.

Similar here. Told not to book anything without it being approved as we needed to add an extra 2 weeks to whatever leave we wanted if we were going abroad and it would need to be looked at in terms of service requirements. But I knew that would be the case anyway. Hopefully they will have to retract that shortly :)

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    You think people would fly to Belfast and arrange travel to Dublin/elsewhere to avoid filling in a form?

Evidently yes they have been, that's exactly what i done.

chances are they wouldn't call to your house to check but theres always the chance they could if you were to fly back into Dublin so to avoid that possible scenario i flew into Belfast.

That's ludicrous, if my job done that id start looking around for something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I wish, sadly not true.

That cant be right unless he looks very much like the person he supposedly took the passport from, especially thesedays with facial recognition being so accurate.

even if this did happen the person who stole your mans passport could land himself a hefty fine or jail time for something like this, a serious enough offence.

That's ludicrous, if my job done that id start looking around for something else.

I wouldn’t really, it’s nice to be offered an extra fortnight paid leave on top of your hols, I’d love that job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭Humour Me

bladespin wrote: »
    I wouldn’t really, it’s nice to be offered an extra fortnight paid leave on top of your hols, I’d love that job.

But if you have no annual leave left you would probably need to take it as unpaid leave.

Employers are worried about their liability if employees catch COVID and it is traced back to an individual who travelled. Safer to get you work from home for 2 weeks instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes this check is being done.

Not the flight itself, but the passenger list is checked against PUP recipients.

bladespin wrote: »

i very much doubt it would be paid, you'd have to take it as AL or unpaid leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,999 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Yes this check is being done.
    Not the flight itself, but the passenger list is checked against PUP recipients.

Got a link for that?

i very much doubt it would be paid, you'd have to take it as AL or unpaid leave.

Depends on your contract of employment and company policy also. Most offices are fully or partially closed.
    Employers can recommend you stay at home if you're feeling ill and/or display any Covid symptoms, so it either goes as a WFH day or sick leave depending on company policy, managers will see a lot more people staying at home with say a cold or fly symptoms for fear it may be Covid.
    Companies could also provide free testing onsite or refer you to a company doctor.

This is why the current Govt. Administration/HSE need to provide clearer guidelines for companies and employee's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,654 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I'd say fair play to the company for looking after all their other employees and families

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

Why would they do this ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

same with us, only right

problem is people are filling in the forms but I'd say very little are doing the self isolating for the 2 weeks
    so people are travelling and going on jollys and coming back into society

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Proper order too.

That refers to "Benefit Tourism"...

The point being made was about people on the PUP being cut off for going on hols.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    That refers to "Benefit Tourism"...

The point being made was about people on the PUP being cut off for going on hols.

Makes no sense to me. People on a PUP are not supposed to be working, not looking for work. They are meant to be doing nothing. I don’t know where it says that they have to be doing that in Ireland. Very different situation to being on jobseekers. Unless they’ve actually lost their job rather than been temporarily laid off I guess

• Advertisement

Makes no sense to me. People on a PUP are not supposed to be working, not looking for work. They are meant to be doing nothing. I don’t know where it says that they have to be doing that in Ireland. Very different situation to being on jobseekers. Unless they’ve actually lost their job rather than been temporarily laid off I guess

Yea that's why I asked the person who stated the fact that those on the PUP were being noted by the Social welfare where they heard that "fact"...

Humour Me wrote: »
    But if you have no annual leave left you would probably need to take it as unpaid leave.

Employers are worried about their liability if employees catch COVID and it is traced back to an individual who travelled. Safer to get you work from home for 2 weeks instead.

Depends but if you’re willing to work and there’s no legal impediment to you working then they are putting you on leave, I’d expect them to cover that not me.

Are all Welfare recipients being checked or just those on the PUP payment? It would of course be relatively easy to cross reference now with the tiny amount of passengers flying compared to pre-pandemic levels of passengers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

This is a myth

Not totally. There have been cases where Social Welfare have used travel data to show that there was fraud. There was also checks at Belfast airport a few years that caught 'asylum seekers' here travelling on other identities.

Are all Welfare recipients being checked or just those on the PUP payment? It would of course be relatively easy to cross reference now with the tiny amount of passengers flying compared to pre-pandemic levels of passengers.

It was to combat "Benefit tourism"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭kn

https://www2.hse.ie/file-library/coronavirus/covid-19-passenger-locator-form.pdf

This 'quarantine' is really a misnomer. There is no requirement to quarantine, only to fill in the form correctly.

kn wrote: »
    https://www2.hse.ie/file-library/coronavirus/covid-19-passenger-locator-form.pdf

This 'quarantine' is really a misnomer. There is no requirement to quarantine, only to fill in the form correctly.

For all intents and purposes it is a 2 week quarantine, what company would send any employees here based on that, same for tourists who just want a relaxing break.. no one will come here while the requirement to self-isolate is in effect.

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    For all intents and purposes it is a 2 week quarantine, what company would send any employees here based on that, same for tourists who just want a relaxing break.. no one will come here while the requirement to self-isolate is in effect.

The isolation is optional, it’s requested but not legally required, many essential workers have been travelling back and forward between Ireland and the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Well that didn't happen at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Simon Harris needs to make it clear law that ppl need to quarantine. Otherwise the guards force the person to quarantine in the local garda station cells.

• Advertisement
Advertisement