Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relocating to Dublin - are we paranoid?

Options
  • 22-06-2020 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭

We're relocating to Dublin soon. Wifey will be working in Dublin 2, myself in Santry. Reading articles on Dublin Live etc, the multitude of stabbings, fighting, feral youths running around with hammers, screwdrivers, knives etc. seem like everyday occurrences in broad daylight. I'm really concerned about the wellbeing of my wife who will be doing shift work, that being in the city centre after dark.

Someone please prove me wrong, but Dublin for me seems like a kip. Perhaps I'm looking for a tap on the shoulder and a voice telling me "it's not that bad" but last time I've been there it feels strangely uncomfortable, especially in the city center. Coming into Dublin by train and seeing burnt out cars in the fields is a strange feeling.

Do we have a reason to worry?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I heard a guy got killed there once.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Is this a real post?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭Nozebleed

honestly..if you have the means to purchase just outside dublin do it..buy a motorbike and commute. the atmosphere in dublin has changed dramatically in the last 15 years. its rough,people dont care about each other anymore. neighbours dont talk like they did back in the old days 80's. kids have no respect for their environment..its all goin backwards. look at kildare naas and the like.

without telling us where yr wife is travelling from, at what time, what mode of transport etc, i dunno what you want op

are there parts of dublin city to be avoided in the evening? yep.

is it all of dublin 2? nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭van_beano

Nozebleed wrote: »
    honestly..if you have the means to purchase just outside dublin do it..buy a motorbike and commute. the atmosphere in dublin has changed dramatically in the last 15 years. its rough,people dont care about each other anymore. neighbours dont talk like they did back in the old days 80's. kids have no respect for their environment..its all goin backwards. look at kildare naas and the like.

To be fair you’re basically describing the whole country at this stage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Stop reading dublinlive, its bad for your health

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Lets have a thread without blatant bigotry please

• Registered Users Posts: 18,989 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Dublin has a population of a million people so of course there will be trouble. There are areas of Dublin that should be avoided and a lot more that are perfectly safe. If in doubt drive around the area you are interested in for a few evenings and you'll soon see if it's dangerous or not.

I live close to a lot of places which have been in the news recently for serious anti social issues. We have none.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,618 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

buy a motorbike and commute.

While still not especially likely, you are many times more likely to be killed riding a motorbike than killed by a pack of feral youths.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

kapisko1PL wrote: »
    We're relocating to Dublin soon. Wifey will be working in Dublin 2, myself in Santry. Reading articles on Dublin Live etc, the multitude of stabbings, fighting, feral youths running around with hammers, screwdrivers, knives etc. seem like everyday occurrences in broad daylight. I'm really concerned about the wellbeing of my wife who will be doing shift work, that being in the city centre after dark.

Someone please prove me wrong, but Dublin for me seems like a kip. Perhaps I'm looking for a tap on the shoulder and a voice telling me "it's not that bad" but last time I've been there it feels strangely uncomfortable, especially in the city center. Coming into Dublin by train and seeing burnt out cars in the fields is a strange feeling.

Sorry but this reads like a parody of a thread that's been posted a million times before, and all they ever do is stir people up

I moved to Dublin in 2007 and was shocked to realise that I was now a culchie after a lifetime of slagging culchies myself :pac: . But even as a young student I had the cop on to realise that Dublin was a moderately sized city with both good and bad areas, and that forming an impression of a city from news bulletins is kinda dumb and you just end up sounding like a terrified pensioner.

Never had the slightest bit of hassle in the last 14 years tbh, having the barest modicum of self-awareness will suffice to keep you safe. Well, that and not living in an especially socially-deprived area. Check out the Pobal interactive maps of social deprivation if you want to get granular about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Are you asking if there is a greater chance of your wife being mugged, shouted at, or worse in Dublin compared to other parts of Ireland?

Then, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

What with it having a far larger population than the rest of Ireland, statistically so.

I mean the chances of being mugged in a 2 horse town is remote.

*Rolleyes gif*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

I heard a guy got killed there once.

For calling his wife his wifey? :)

OP Dublin 2 covers most of the city centre South of the liffey so pretty big and diverse area.

If you weren't living there how would she get to and from work? Does she have a choice to commute easily by car for her shift work?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭LeeroyJ.

Feral Youths are an issue, I live in Spencer Dock which Dublin live reported on the other day, just exercise common sense, don't walk home after a night out (take a cab) and if you see a group of teenagers, take another route and don't engage. While Teenagers do cause problems for residents here, its not a daily occurrence and its more nuisance than a threat. They litter, they yell and hang out in peoples patios but its rare for them to attack if you just ignore them. Dublin isnt more or less safe than any other major city with a million+ population.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

just avoid the wallet inspectors , they are a pain in the hole

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Dublin Live is owned by the same people as the Daily Express, so that should help you judge whether their information is an accurate portrayal of life in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Is this a wind up?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

My Mrs has been working nights in D2 for the past 4/5 years, never had an issue apart from a dart being cancelled or a parking ticket. It's fine, she'll presumably be driving or on public transport? Don't walk down any back alleys or anything stupid and she won't have any hassle. Santry is grand too. Find somewhere quiet and residential around there and you'll both have an easy commute (Santy to CC is fairly well serviced) or go for somewhere on the dart line if you'll be driving and she's taking the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

OP what city are you coming here from, might help put some perspective on it.

Dublin is nowhere near as bad as what a tabloid site like Dublin Live make out. Their bread and butter is crime stories so reading that site you would think the city is a warzone because the majority of their stories are about crime. It really isnt as a whole but there are some suburbs where there is a fair bit of crime, avoid them and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Is this a paraphrased blurb from one of the Batman movies re: Gotham?

Leo?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,523 ✭✭✭cgcsb

OP, what other cities of similar size have you been to/lived in? I would say in Europe, maybe Copenhagen is safer. The places you often read about are:

Balbriggan (not Dublin really), Belcamp and the outer estates of Tallaght and Clondalkin (this is where you see burned out cars etc.). Everywhere else is more/less 100% safe. If you're a snowflake don't make the move though, you'll probably see beggars, junkies and gypsies. Is seeing them a problem for you?

Are you Irish? it seems odd that an Irish person wouldn't be somewhat familiar with the central area of Dublin at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Hi OP,

Im from Dublin, Ive also lived in Cork, London then back to Dublin in the mid noughties.

As another poster has said the population has increased over the past 20 years. With that increase brings additional pressure on our healthcare, transport,educational, crime and justice systems

Dublin has had mass immigration from EU and other Non EU area states since 1998, so its more multi-cultural now and yes times have changed. Sometimes not for the better. But its added character to the city imo.

Where I grew up in North Dublin , you knew all the neighbours on the road and everyone talked and got on well. A good sense of community.

You will always have the good and the bad in any city.

However you cant beat Dublin for its location and access to the sea, Wicklow mountains only a short drive. Howth, Malahide , Dun Laoghaire ,Bray sea front, nice places for a walk.

I would not view Dublin Live website as it reminds me of American news networks , drama news reporting always of a negative nature.

For a city of its size, its relatively safe. You just have to have your wits about you and be aware of your surroundings like you would in any city.

Best of luck, whatever you decide to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,220 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

I live in what used to be a fairly gritty area. All my neighbours are lovely, it's a cul de sac and people sit in their front gardens and talk to each other. And lend tools to each other etc.
    There's a lot of hyperbole going around about crazed youths and gangs etc but you're unlikely to be hassled by anyone unless you live in the worst of the worst areas and then they're probably not as bad as they're made out to be.
    My main gripe is gangs of people, usually young, who come out on sunny days and just leave rubbish everywhere. Yesterday was nice so this morning there was sh*t all over my local park. It's depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭irlirishkev

It's fine. Chill out, you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭kapisko1PL

To clear some things up. I did not write this post to stirr sh*t or troll any of ye. I was just expressing my concern and looking for some advice and people's opinions. Those who replied and gave their opinion, thank you. Those who did not: thank you too. I was just wondering if I was being unreasonable, and judging by some replies it seems like I was. Speaking to some people that lived there, it is just a regular big city. Worst story I heard among some people I know was my friend's car was broken into twice and some Lucozade was stolen lol (the effort of replacing a window though).

I have lived in Warsaw Poland for almost 2 years (biggest city I have lived in so far), second biggest was Limerick, then Kilkenny.

I guess I was reading too much Dublin Live!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Dublin Live thrives on that kind of stuff. Pay no need. Now, it's ok if you ask is here or there alright, and you'll get answers. Again, not saying Dublin is a warzone but there ARE some places to avoid.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

You working in Dublin 9 and wife in Dublin 2. Plenty options as to where to reside but I recommend Drumcondra, ;Glasnevin, Beaumont Raheny. There are plenty of good neighbourhoods with access to the city, parks, beaches etc.

Advertisement