Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second wave

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Once schools and colleges open the numbers are just going to go up and up.

Schools to some extent, but if nobody in a village has it then the school won't spread it. Collegas with tens of thousands of irresponsible individuals from all over the world are an experiment in disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Once schools and colleges open the numbers are just going to go up and up.

Whatever about schools the colleges are not going to be back as normal. It’ll be a lot of online with maybe a week a month on campus.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

The hard thing is the ending of a curve-flattening strategy. I don't think we have an end-game here in Ireland.

Ideally once you get daily rates down to what the health system can cope with on a sustainable basis you want the R figure to be about 1 so that people get exposed (and treated if necessary) while protecting vulnerable sectors of the population. In this way immunity can be built up gradually without large numbers of deaths.

However we made the curve too flat in this country and very little immunity was created. Even with the comparatively minor lifting of restrictions so far, we find the R figure well above 1. We can't open bars because this would force the number even higher and we may have to reimpose some of the earlier restrictions. We're now trying to get people to wear masks when earlier we were telling them there was no point.

We are thus kind of stuck until vaccines are developed. It could still be considered a successful strategy if a vaccine becomes available fairly soon but there is no guarantee of that.

Are there other countries that the population built immunity?

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Just Saying

This is it exactly, I had been told by a friend working in testing that testing numbers have increased x 4 over the past week or two.

This should be seen as a positive step in that we are catching more cases due to the increased testing.

This is why I dont really understand the current panic over numbers increasing.

So of the 9500 people tested only 0.27% are testing positive.

Is there any way to find out how many tests in total have been done here since the beginning to get our 25k positive cases?

According to Worldometers 541,574

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭Golf is my Game

i see a number of people in shops witb valved masks.. its fine if your clear but if you have it your spreading... im still seeing allot in well known food shops/ stores without any form of mask...

Yeh but the FFp2 type with the valve is the best to be wearing at the minute and I wear one in shops and stuff wherever close to other people at all at all. And I know I'm spreading if I have but I OK with that because really such a small number is wearing them that I think it's fair game to protect myself if others aren't willing to go to the bother of wearing anything. What level is wearing a mask at the moment I'd say something like 1 in 30 maybe or even less. So when that's the case then I'll protect myself thanks very much. If everyone else was playing ball, and I don't understand why their not then I'd happily switch to the surgical type and protect other. It needs everyone o the same page but at the moment their not. If people aren't doing a small thing to care about themselves let alone others then they can't expect me to so it's reasonable to protect myself and bringing it back to my family. I suppose I could ware both but really people need to get the message and wear them big time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Yeh but the FFp2 type with the valve is the best to be wearing at the minute and I wear one in shops and stuff wherever close to other people at all at all. And I know I'm spreading if I have but I OK with that because really such a small number is wearing them that I think it's fair game to protect myself if others aren't willing to go to the bother of wearing anything. What level is wearing a mask at the moment I'd say something like 1 in 30 maybe or even less. So when that's the case then I'll protect myself thanks very much. If everyone else was playing ball, and I don't understand why their not then I'd happily switch to the surgical type and protect other. It needs everyone o the same page but at the moment their not. If people aren't doing a small thing to care about themselves let alone others then they can't expect me to so it's reasonable to protect myself and bringing it back to my family. I suppose I could ware both but really people need to get the message and wear them big time.

You are giving golf a bad name

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭Warbeastrior

That makes you as bad as the people not wearing masks so get off your high horse.
    Selfishness is high here.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,138 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

This is it exactly, I had been told by a friend working in testing that testing numbers have increased x 4 over the past week or two.

They are proactively testing 32,000 care workers every week for a month.

That's why testing has multiplied.
    This is why I dont really understand the current panic over numbers increasing.

I don't really see how anyone can be confused at this stage.

NPHET have clearly stated they are concerned by the upward trend in the virus and where the virus is now trending.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 repulsebay321

We currently have no conclusive data on the immunity of the most common strains.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

ixoy wrote: »
    I'm hoping that, if there are lock downs, it's locked down to specific areas within Dublin. It'd be easier to contain travel within for a start and Dublin is spread enough that if the cases were, for example, in Tallaght that doesn't mean that Rush should be subject to the same conditions. All of Dublin is not in the same in the prevalence of the disease, and never was but the rest of the country is labelling it under the one.

It was said on Newstalk the other day if cases go over 100 again it will nationwide lockdown. Utter bullshít

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

faceman wrote: »
    It was said on Newstalk the other day if cases go over 100 again it will nationwide lockdown. Utter bullshít

Couldn't agree more. So lockdown cork for an outbreak in Donegal or vice versa?

We need to learn how to live life alongside the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I heard that too, also heard one of them say (might have been Tomas Ryan) that Ireland is already in 2nd wave and that Israel had numbers creep very slowly then boom!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

Nationwide lockdown no. introduction of some restrictions yes, and reasonably so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

ixoy wrote: »
    I'm hoping that, if there are lock downs, it's locked down to specific areas within Dublin. It'd be easier to contain travel within for a start and Dublin is spread enough that if the cases were, for example, in Tallaght that doesn't mean that Rush should be subject to the same conditions. All of Dublin is not in the same in the prevalence of the disease, and never was but the rest of the country is labelling it under the one.
    If we're going to go down the route of localised lockdowns however it needs to be where the R number is high. I think people are thinking of Dublin because there have been a lot of cases there, but it is not the number of historical cases that is important but the rate at which the virus would tend to multiply in the area given the chance.

Someone on another thread gave the example of Killarney where there seemed to be no notice taken of precautions and recommendations; the virus being (in their view) "a Dublin thing". In this instance, viral infections might be currently low but if the R number is high, then a lockdown might be necessary to keep it low.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

That makes you as bad as the people not wearing masks so get off your high horse.
    Selfishness is high here.
    Not quite as bad. A valved mask, of course, does not protect other's much once infected but it does help prevent personal infection in the first place, and if he's less likely to catch it, then he's less likely to spread it. So better than no mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭anais

Hi all. Primary teacher here and somewhat convinced that I have had the virus already. In late March I had a sore throat slight wheeziness and a moderate temperature of 37 1/2 degrees I didn't feel sick enough to get tested at the time. My daughter then developed a scratchy sore throat moderate temperature and mild viral conjunctivitis. Does anyone know if there is a current antibody test? It would be very useful if I could take the test before I go back to school and I would feel more comfortable that I wouldn't be spreading the disease .I also hope to get the flu vaccine at the end of August...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

anais wrote: »
    Hi all. Primary teacher here and somewhat convinced that I have had the virus already. In late March I had a sore throat slight wheeziness and a moderate temperature of 37 1/2 degrees I didn't feel sick enough to get tested at the time. My daughter then developed a scratchy sore throat moderate temperature and mild viral conjunctivitis. Does anyone know if there is a current antibody test? It would be very useful if I could take the test before I go back to school and I would feel more comfortable that I wouldn't be spreading the disease .I also hope to get the flu vaccine at the end of August...

Lots of places doing the antibody test based on blood sample, costs about €80 per test. Can also get home kits for around same price.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,355 ✭✭✭Jim Gazebo

anais wrote: »

So in late march in the height of it, you had a high temp and didn't bother going for a test....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Much easier to lock down Dublin - garda resources can be concentrated much easier
    in restricting movement / road blocks etc. I'd be amazed if there's not a lockdown in the next 2-3 weeks given the recent rise in numbers.

Dublin is never getting locked down

There's some in this thread who don't understand how important a capital city is to a country's infrastructure

The lack of common sense is quite something

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

ShineOn7 wrote: »

There's some in this thread who don't understand how important a capital city is to a country's infrastructure

We should have somewhere else as the capital! Areas of Dublin could be shut down if needed, would be hard to shut it all down though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

ShineOn7 wrote: »

Completely understand the importance of the capital city, but also mindful of the devastation that the virus will cause if it was to become unmanageable. The importance of the capital suddenly becomes secondary to saving lives and stopping a catastrophe when hospitals are over run.

the majority of Covid cases are in Dublin and its immediate environs. The locking down of counties with little of no incidence would make little sense. Dublin has had 60 odd cases in the last few days and NPHET are warning about a possibility of 150 cases / day given the current trends. Why is it lack of common sense?

Saw them politicians in Brussels touching elbows at their meetings. Surely thats terrible example to be setting telling us first to cough into our elbows and then you see them touching elbows thinking arent they great doing it instead a shaking hands. Isnt that madness because surely you dont go around touching the bit of your jumper or jacket to everyone elses that they might be bringing to their mouths too. Talk about a way to make sure they spread it around if one of them had it you couldnt make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,998 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Saw them politicians in Brussels touching elbows at their meetings. Surely thats terrible example to be setting telling us first to cough into our elbows and then you see them touching elbows thinking arent they great doing it instead a shaking hands. Isnt that madness because surely you dont go around touching the bit of your jumper or jacket to everyone elses that they might be bringing to their mouths too. Talk about a way to make sure they spread it around if one of them had it you couldnt make it up.

The virus is acquired through either your mouth, nose or eyes, how are you getting your elbows anywhere near any of those places?

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Drove through Galway this eve and couldn’t believe what I seen... place was thronged with people all sitting and standing in close proximity to each other ... a massive piss up!!! Incredibly long queue to off license near the wolf tone bridge ... shop street jammed .all grassy areas covered in people .. absolute disgrace ... can’t believe how stupid people are ... we be closed down again in another two weeks if Tonite in Galway is anything to go by

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Isnt that madness because surely you dont go around touching the bit of your jumper or jacket to everyone elses that they might be bringing to their mouths too.

You cough into your elbow "pit", you touch the pointed part instead of shaking hands.

I have heard it said as a factoid that you cannot lick the point of your elbow.

I still take your point though, I have been opening doors with my forearm etc and am conscious it could pick stuff up.

Touching feet might be better, but weird, if you insist on doing anything extra at all, the elbow thing is weird anyway. Not sure what is wrong with a usual verbal acknowledgment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,340 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

LillySV wrote: »
    Drove through Galway this eve and couldn’t believe what I seen... place was thronged with people all sitting and standing in close proximity to each other ... a massive piss up!!! Incredibly long queue to off license near the wolf tone bridge ... shop street jammed .all grassy areas covered in people .. absolute disgrace ... can’t believe how stupid people are ... we be closed down again in another two weeks if Tonite in Galway is anything to go by

Been like that for weeks now. Provided it's not raining.

The virus is acquired through either your mouth, nose or eyes, how are you getting your elbows anywhere near any of those places?

By coughing into it like were told. Its not like your shirt has an inside bit and an outside bit and its water proof and you cant cough droplets to the outside bit when you cough. If its up at your mouth as you cough then decent change its on the elbow of the sleeve. So its pass the virus parcel elbow to elbow with people lifting it to their mouths.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I bet it will lead to little or no increase in cases

Indoor events with no social distancing are being shown to be the culprit for outbreaks. Of course the Irish government isn’t really communicating this but other countries are. And of course you need someone to be infected too. How many people in Galway currently have it? I imagine it’s a tiny number

House parties and nightclubs have been shown to be a big culprit.

If masks are mandatory it limits risks in public.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,417 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

faceman wrote:
    Indoor events with no social distancing are being shown to be the culprit for outbreaks. Of course the Irish government isn’t really communicating this but other countries are

I'd say the government are in on it to, crafty devils

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Guess we can add this to the May Bank Holiday/June Bank Holiday/BLM March etc list of doom.

Advertisement