Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second wave

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

From Reddit Ireland, so take it with as much credit as you take a post from Boards or anywhere else on the Internet

From looking into the User who posted though, they've been on Reddit for seven years and have a very healthy Karma number (like Boards' Thanks system) of over 43K
    From experience it's more than a danger. Last Saturday there was a confirmed case of a job site my company was on. Builder took 3 days to tell anyone what was going on. By Wednesday there where 4 more confirmed and 3 more awaiting results. HSE wouldn't close the site, builder wouldn't close the site.

With attitudes like that a second wave would come as no shock to me.

Rumor says there are a few other building sites with singular cases and the are using the CIF builders holidays to shut down and try and contain things. But there is piss poor communication about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Guess we can add this to the May Bank Holiday/June Bank Holiday/BLM March etc list of doom.

List of doom? My post is quiet simple... if all these supposedly educated people are all ignoring social distancing this much and care so little about the health of themselves and others , particularly the elderly... then we are going to be going to have a massive increase in covid 19 cases and increased deaths as a result ...there has already been an increase ... the health officials are warning this ... but I suppose you know more than them too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,241 ✭✭✭ongarite

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    From Reddit Ireland, so take it with as much credit as you take a post from Boards or anywhere else on the Internet

From looking into the User who posted though, they've been on Reddit for seven years and have a very healthy Karma number (like Boards' Thanks system) of over 43K

Hard to believe that. I'm working at the biggest construction site in the country and haven't heard anything like this. Over 2 thousand construction people working every weekday for last 6 weeks with no reported or rumoured cases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

LillySV wrote: »
    List of doom? My post is quiet simple... if all these supposedly educated people are all ignoring social distancing this much and care so little about the health of themselves and others , particularly the elderly... then we are going to be going to have a massive increase in covid 19 cases and increased deaths as a result ...there has already been an increase ... the health officials are warning this ... but I suppose you know more than them too

Doomed, doomed, DOOMED I tell you!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 39,991 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

ongarite wrote: »
    Hard to believe that. I'm working at the biggest construction site in the country and haven't heard anything like this. Over 2 thousand construction people working every weekday for last 6 weeks with no reported or rumoured cases.

Why would it be hard to believe that 4 people working together on a site may have the virus?

:confused:

It seems perfectly plausible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭Bit cynical

Jim Gazebo wrote: »
    So in late march in the height of it, you had a high temp and didn't bother going for a test....
    The poster probably would not have qualified for a test at that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭peterofthebr

Not quite as bad. A valved mask, of course, does not protect other's much once infected but it does help prevent personal infection in the first place, and if he's less likely to catch it, then he's less likely to spread it. So better than no mask.

wear a surgical mask under your valued mask and everyone is a winner

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭xl500

ongarite wrote: »

Watch the news this evening Site in Dublin shut down due to Corona Virus Positive workers

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭anais

Jim Gazebo wrote:
    So in late march in the height of it, you had a high temp and didn't bother going for a test....

Not didn't bother, didn't feel sick enough tbh and they changed the criteria after - I hadn't travelled or been around any confirmed cases. School closed on the 12th March, I could've picked up any virus. I'm always picking up bugs from the kids in my class. I wouldn't consider 37.5 a high temp, just higher than normal. I never dose myself or the kids unless the temp goes over 38.I self isolated and took care of myself and my family. Just thought if I had some immunity I would be of more use in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭Icantthinkof1

anais wrote: »
    a moderate temperature of 37 1/2 degrees...

I’m really confused regarding temperatures. I always thought a temperature was anything above 38degrees?
    My temp has been 37.4 all week give or take but I wouldn’t consider that as having a temp. Am I wrong?
    Also I was refused a test back in March as I didn’t have a temp but my temp at that time was 37.7/.8 but I didn’t tell them that as thought that was within normal range?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I’m really confused regarding temperatures. I always thought a temperature was anything above 38degrees?
    My temp has been 37.4 all week give or take but I wouldn’t consider that as having a temp. Am I wrong?
    Also I was refused a test back in March as I didn’t have a temp but my temp at that time was 37.7/.8 but I didn’t tell them that as thought that was within normal range?!

Depends on the device and where you measure , those hand held scanners can be off by 1 or 2 degrees especially if it's being measured in a place outside your clothing like wrist or forehead

• Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

LillySV wrote: »

Don't take any notice of that poster. He believes in a 'cull' the population!

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭peterofthebr

so i think it was about 10 days ago i seen WHO or some CDC statement that they were going to look into fresh reports (findings) that the 2 meters is not enough for social distancing...anybody hear any developments on this?

also WHO were sending people to china..looking for patient zero.. no news on this either

so i think it was about 10 days ago i seen WHO or some CDC statement that they were going to look into fresh reports (findings) that the 2 meters is not enough for social distancing...anybody hear any developments on this?

also WHO were sending people to china..looking for patient zero.. no news on this either

The magic 2M was always a general guideline. On a stats basis probably provided 90% less transference so overall leading to a population wide reduction in cases. Of course in enclosed poorly ventilated spaces it is not really enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

So no second wave according to this, just the one.
    The Covid-19 pandemic is currently unfolding in “one big wave” with no evidence that it follows seasonal variations common to influenza and other coronaviruses, such as the common cold, the World Health Organization has warned.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jul/29/one-big-wave-why-the-covid-19-second-wave-may-not-exist-coronavirus

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Tig98

is_that_so wrote: »

I'd agree and disagree. A second wave is one of those things that's hard to define, but we'll all know when it hits. It's arbitrary semantics to argue about second wave vs second log phase of the first wave or whatever. Right now is definitely the eye of the storm.

Usually people rely on the summer months to kill off flu viruses, but Covid19 only really reached Europe in Springtime and its run wild since then, even with restrictions. When it gets cold and wet, and the economy resumes some more we will see as many (if not more) cases as the highest peaks we've already seen

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭JTMan

is_that_so wrote: »
    So no second wave according to this, just the one.

The main point of the article is that there is no link between flu season peaks and Covid-19 waves. Plausible.

Whilst flu season might not be the correlation between the second wave, by October colleges will be back, schools will be back, weather will be crap and everyone will be back indoors. This might cause the second wave.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭tromtipp

We still don't know how long (if at all) people who have had the illness are immune. A second wave could be what we get when people catch it for the second time, with worse effects than initially, as with Dengue fever (spread in a different way, via mosquitoes, but another RNA virus). That will partly depend on how the virus mutates. Perhaps we'll be really lucky and it will dwindle away with no second wave at all, just this initial phase- which has been nasty enough.

tromtipp wrote: »
    We still don't know how long (if at all) people who have had the illness are immune. A second wave could be what we get when people catch it for the second time, with worse effects than initially, as with Dengue fever (spread in a different way, via mosquitoes, but another RNA virus). That will partly depend on how the virus mutates. Perhaps we'll be really lucky and it will dwindle away with no second wave at all, just this initial phase- which has been nasty enough.

I don't see the schools reopening in September as things stand. maybe October?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,353 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

saabsaab wrote: »

If they cant open in September it would make as much sense for them never to open

• Advertisement

If they cant open in September it would make as much sense for them never to open

You could well be right. No opening this year at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Nothing is perfectly safe. 2 metres seems to be enough to prevent the majority of transmission. Masks even better. Outdoor better still.

Choirs have projected virus across a room. Hospitals have found it floating around ICUs, but those are situations with high virus loads.

This is about risk reduction, not absolute safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

saabsaab wrote: »

Nah, I definitely think they will be open September the question is when will they close again will it be October or November.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Nah, I definitely think they will be open September the question is when will they close again will it be October or November.

Yes open up see what happens then decide.

I think it is safe to say that a 'second wave' or whatever you want to call it has started.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Called it over a month ago, same day the R number went back over 1 after being below for ages...
    Christmas FM was on air today....

nscpxhhq99vx.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Called it over a month ago, same day the R number went back over 1 after being below for ages...

Do you have any actual proof that Mariah Carey is the cause of all of this?

Case numbers

Week 26 - 67
    Week 27 - 94
    Week 28 - 127
    Week 29 - 143
    Week 30 - 122
    Week 31 - 286
    Week 32 - 550
    Week 33 - 557
    Week 34 (This week) - 732

It's safe to say we're definitely in Wave 2

But has anywhere in EU or elsewhere reached the end of their Wave 2 yet? Or how does it compare to their first?

I suppose I'm wondering how much of a ride we're in for in the coming weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,501 ✭✭✭bb1234567

Nowhere in Western Europe has really had a second wave , well anything comparable to the first in number of deaths. By far the worst is Spain which has reported about 1200 additional deaths since the cases began increasing there again in early July.

Advertisement