Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second wave

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19 jacksonsarm

Thierry12 wrote: »
    We is Jak blaming the public?

Why are Tony and HSE blaming the public?

Its the hospitals

Hundreds of staff off as close contacts from workplace contact

Limerick and Letterkenny Hospitals are like bloody Wuhan right now, virus everywhere there

Virus is airborne and those eejits having Coffees and chats together on site

No mask should ever come off on site, ever

Canteens need to be closed in hospitals

Its airborne ye clowns

Tony and that Ryan bollix in charge of HSE need to sort there house before telling public what to do

Some cheek telling businesses work from home and state of Hospital infection numbers

I've been thinking this since March. At the height of wave 1 over a third of cases were healthcare workers. Would love to know if hospital transmission might be one root cause of community transmission. Also a study in tallaght showed huge numbers have had it asymptomatically.

Actually been in Vincent's a couple of times and it's very weird seeing many of the staff walking around with no masks when all the patients are doing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Thierry12

I've been thinking this since March. At the height of wave 1 over a third of cases were healthcare workers. Would love to know if hospital transmission might be one root cause of community transmission. Also a study in tallaght showed huge numbers have had it asymptomatically.

Actually been in Vincent's a couple of times and it's very weird seeing many of the staff walking around with no masks when all the patients are doing it.

I'd believe it

Reckless stuff

Think I read something like 25% of healthcare staff make up the 45,000 cases we've had since June

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

I'd believe it

Reckless stuff

Think I read something like 25% of healthcare staff make up the 45,000 cases we've had since June

Pretty sure data on the HSPC site comes out at 1 in every 6 cases are Healthcare workers

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Pretty sure data on the HSPC site comes out at 1 in every 6 cases are Healthcare workers

For total cases or from June?

16.66% then

Still insanely high

If they are wearing PPE how did 11,600 of them get infected?

For total cases or from June?

16.66% then

I believe it was for total cases. Spookwoman would know for sure

I wonder how our HCW case numbers compare to the rest of the world. I'm going to guess not great

• Advertisement

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    I believe it was for total cases. Spookwoman would know for sure

I wonder how our HCW case numbers compare to the rest of the world. I'm going to guess not great

Yeah would be interesting alright

Probably similar with EU countries

The excellent Stac Jak on Reddit Ireland

People need to stfu about how "harsh" Ireland's restrictions are tbh

France
    France will enforce an 8pm-6am curfew starting next Tuesday, December 15th, including on New Year’s Eve. An exception will be made for Christmas Eve only, prime minister Jean Castex announced on Thursday.

Cinemas, theatres and museums, which were to have reopened on December 15th, will remain closed for at least three more weeks.

Mr Castex said France’s second lockdown, which began in late October, had reduced the number of new Covid-19 cases from 50,000 to 11,000 per day.
    But figures began to rise again last week, with 14,595 positive cases recorded on Wednesday, the highest rate since November 25th.
    Germany
    Germany is entering another national lockdown over Christmas amid rising cases.

Under new measures which will last from 16 December until 10 January, schools and non-essential shops across the country will be closed.

Bars and restaurants will remain shut, Hairdressers, beauty salons and tattoo parlours will also have to close their doors and drinking alcohol in public will be banned until 10 January.
    The number of people allowed to meet indoors will remain restricted to five from two households.
    Sweden
    Finland and Norway have offered medical assistance to Sweden, as their neighbour faces an increasingly severe second wave of coronavirus that has stretched clinical staff and intensive care capacity to the limit in some areas.

Sweden has yet to formally ask for outside help but authorities in Stockholm have requested assistance from the country’s military and could get aid from less hard-hit regions.

Sweden has reported 1,400 Covid deaths in the past month compared with about 100 in Norway and 80 in Finland, each of which have half its population. Sweden reports deaths differently to the rest of Europe, which makes knowing their exact level difficult, but analysts at Nordea, the Nordic lender, believe they could be higher than their peak in April.
    United Kingdom
    England’s chief medical officer, Prof Chris Whitty told MPs that the winter months were high risk for the NHS, particularly because of respiratory infections.

He stressed the importance of immunising an estimated 20 million people made a priority for a jab before any substantial easing of restrictions.

Whitty said the short-term impact of the vaccination programme would be to reduce hospitalisations and deaths. The virus would still circulate, however, leaving many people at risk of “long Covid”, a mix of medical problems that persist months after a person has seemingly recovered.
    Japan
    Japan’s daily coronavirus cases have exceeded 3,000 for the first time as the government delays stricter measures for fear of hurting the economy ahead of the holiday season.

The 3,030 new cases, including 621 in Tokyo, took Japan’s national tally to 177,287 with 2,562 deaths, the Health Ministry said on Sunday.

Experts say serious cases are on the rise around the country, putting a burden on hospitals and affecting the daily medical treatment for other patients. They urged authorities to take measures such as suspending out-of-town trips and requesting stores to close early.
    Lithuania
    The Lithuanian government has instructed its citizens to stay home for three weeks from Wednesday as the coronavirus outbreak grows in the country.

The instructions from Prime Minister Ingrida Simonyte (pictured) come as - in a matter of just six weeks - Lithuania has jumped from the 18th to the third worst hit nation in the European Union. Only Croatia and Luxembourg surpass it.

On Sunday the country reported 1,178 cases per 100,000 people over the past fortnight, three times higher than the 340 cases per 100,000 when lighter lockdown measures were announced on 4 November.
    Spain
    Spain is hoping to achieve herd immunity against COVID-19 by the end of next summer if enough people are vaccinated by then, the country's health minister has said.

The country's vaccination programme will start in January, according to Salvador Illa, in the hope more than two-thirds of the population will get the jab.

Static Jak on Reddit Ireland

Not even Oz is escaping this Wave

• United Kingdom:
    The prime minister has confirmed that stricter restrictions will be applied to London and south east England from Sunday after a new COVID-19 variant that may be “more transmissible than the old variant” was identified.
    PM Boris Johnson says Tier 4 "will be broadly equivalent" to November's lockdown.

From midnight, residents in Tier 4 must stay at home, with limited exceptions. Non-essential retail, gyms and personal care centres must close. Hospitality venues are already closed under Tier 3 rules.
    Household mixing indoors is banned - people can meet one other person from another household in an outdoor space only
    Travel into and out of tier four is not allowed, unless essential.
    Boris Johnson has also announced that the planned five-day easing of restrictions over the festive period will now be limited to a single day.
    • Italy
    Italy is to go into a new lockdown for much of the Christmas and New Year period to tackle a rise in coronavirus cases.
    Bars, restaurants and non-essential shops will close between 24 and 27 December, New Year's Eve to 3 January, and 5 to 6 January.
    Italians will only be allowed to travel for work, health or emergency reasons.

Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte said it was "a painful decision", but it comes amid a surge in COVID-19 infections.
    • Sweden
    Curbs on the numbers that can gather in restaurants, shops and gyms start from next week, while people have been told to work from home. The government is also now recommending face masks are worn on public transport.
    The Scandinavian country has not gone into lockdowns or closed businesses, relying instead on people's common sense to control infections.

However, it is seeing a rapid increase in confirmed cases that is straining the health care system, with Prime Minister Stefan Lofven describing the situation as "very serious".
    It registered a record 9,654 new daily coronavirus cases on Friday and 100 deaths, taking the total number of fatalities to 7,993.
    • Austria
    Austria will go into lockdown for a third time after Christmas, the government confirmed, just 11 days after the country’s second lockdown ended.

Non-essential shops that reopened last week will close, reopening the week of January 18th along with restaurants, schools, museums and theatres, the government said in a statement. Austria will let ski lifts open despite the lockdown being introduced on December 26th.
    • France
    In a similar vein to Ireland, France has just lifted a six-week ban on movement – but there's still a curfew in place between 8pm and 6am.
    Pubs, restaurants and cafes are still closed, and will remain shut until January at the earliest. And cultural spaces have also been told to keep the curtains pulled for the foreseeable future.

For Christmas, France is allowing six adults to gather in homes, with any number of children allowed.
    French President Emmanuel Macron, who has tested positive for the coronavirus, is in stable condition, and examinations had given reassuring results, a statement from his office said.

Speaking of the general situation in France, where the number of deaths passed 60,000 yesterday, he warned: "We have to be vigilant as the virus is gaining in strength again."
    The French authorities are concerned that the holiday period could see a new spike in infections.
    • Switzerland
    Switzerland has approved the use of the Pfizer-BioNTech vaccine, with immunisation set to start just after Christmas as the country battles rising coronavirus cases.

The Swiss army will receive, store and distribute the vaccine doses which must be kept at -70C.
    The army said it had verbal assurances from Pfizer-BioNTech that it will deliver nearly 107,000 doses in the coming days, and then 250,000 doses per month from January.
    • Australia
    A quarter of a million people in Sydney's northern beach suburbs have been ordered into a strict lockdown until Christmas Eve to help contain a coronavirus cluster with authorities fearing it may spread across Australia's most populous city.
    New South Wales (NSW) state government is to announce tomorrow whether further restrictions will be imposed on the rest of Sydney, home to around five million people.

The outbreak now totals 39 with two additional cases still under investigation. This is up from five only two days ago, but authorities do not know the origin of the virus, which genome testing suggests is a US strain.
    Australia has avoided the worst of the pandemic due to border closures, lockdowns, widespread testing and social distancing. It has recorded a total of around 28,100 infections.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

If some are reacting this way to a 3rd wave - how will they react when we reach the 267th wave? :eek: ;)

DGEoPl3.gif?noredirect

Technically we're in Wave 3, but no point in starting another thread for it

Maybe a Mod can edit the title to "Wave 2 and 3"

So that's 45,770 cases this week. You'd have to add up around the previous ten weeks of cases to match up to just this weeks total.
    • Week 38 - 1,982 (Dublin Level 3: 18/09)
    • Week 39 - 2,084 (Donegal Level 3: 25/09)
    • Week 40 - 3,070
    • Week 41 - 4,510 (National Level 3: 07/10)
    • Week 42 - 7,495 (Cavan, Donegal and Monaghan Level 4: 15/10)
    • Week 43 - 7,194 (National Level 5: 22/10)
    • Week 44 - 4,940
    • Week 45 - 3,500
    • Week 46 - 2,613
    • Week 47 - 2,622
    • Week 48 - 1,830
    • Week 49 - 2,050 (National Level 3: 01/12)
    • Week 50 - 1,984
    • Week 51 - 3,381
    • Week 52 - 6,659
    • Week 53 - 15,759 (National Level 5: 30/12)
    • Week 01 (2021) - 45,770 (This Week)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,153 ✭✭✭saabsaab

It's airborne. Indoors with other people is dangerous for spread, even 2M is not enough especially with the new variants.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 lostkeys

We opened Hospitality etc from 4th Dec to 3pm 24th Dec so 20 Days

Before opening, we were one of the lowest rates in Europe now the highest in the world

I know people here disagree with restrictions etc but what did this 20 days get us did it save the economy did it save thousands of jobs etc

No but it did get Publicans money in their pockets for the short term but we are now locked down for the foreseeable future including all the small businesses that could have now been open only for this crazy decision

Holland and Germany decided to forego 2020 Christmas and remained with tight restrictions over the whole Christmas Period

What was going on in Ireland over the 20 Days was mad stuff I personally witnessed Party scenes in Town Centre fuelled by unscrupulous publicians out for a quick Buck

• Registered Users Posts: 18,432 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

lostkeys wrote: »

What was going on in Ireland over the 20 Days was mad stuff I personally witnessed Party scenes in Town Centre fuelled by unscrupulous publicians out for a quick Buck

This has more holes in it than swiss cheese.

You try to paint "hospitality" as some free for all and its a load of rubbish, restrictions were eased but the pubs where still shut and the restaurants were still heavily curtailed in how they could operate.

Not to mention that the level 3/4 or whatever it was, hospitality was open under that same level earlier in the year and we didn't see the same rise in cases, so why is that?

Hospitality is always the ****ing boogy man but it takes very little critical thinking to see that the story doesn't add up. Cases higher than they were back in March when all the pubs had been fully open? That doesn't add up.

There is clearly something else going on, whether it be the new variant that is far more communicable or whether it is some other unknown factor, but it is lazy and wrong to just keep blaming the pubs when most of the damn things haven't opened their doors in 8 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭xl500

This has more holes in it than swiss cheese.

You try to paint "hospitality" as some free for all and its a load of rubbish, restrictions were eased but the pubs where still shut and the restaurants were still heavily curtailed in how they could operate.

Not to mention that the level 3/4 or whatever it was, hospitality was open under that same level earlier in the year and we didn't see the same rise in cases, so why is that?

Hospitality is always the ****ing boogy man but it takes very little critical thinking to see that the story doesn't add up. Cases higher than they were back in March when all the pubs had been fully open? That doesn't add up.

There is clearly something else going on, whether it be the new variant that is far more communicable or whether it is some other unknown factor, but it is lazy and wrong to just keep blaming the pubs when most of the damn things haven't opened their doors in 8 months.

It's a fact that we went from lowest in europe to highest in the world and I witnessed hospitality fuelling party scenes in Dublin city centre

More holes than swiss cheese maybe that's your opinion but we only opened for 20 days and look where we are I have absolutely no doubt hospitality industry was the major factor in this and I have no interest in hospitality

I am also aware as are the gardai as it was reported to them of a very well known pub serving without food serving at counter no social distancing at all

Pubs were not shut so called wet pubs were but all others opened and certainly some of them were instrumental in causing the spread and explosion of cases

• Registered Users Posts: 18,432 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

xl500 wrote: »
    I have no interest in hospitality

And clearly no interest in anything but easy answers, regardless of whether they are accurate or not.

You saw a party in Dublin so pubs must be the cause of spikes that exceed the peaks of March and April. Despite there being multiple obvious reasons why it just can't be as simple as that.

If easy answers and scapegoats are all you want then fair enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭xl500

And clearly no interest in anything but easy answers, regardless of whether they are accurate or not.

You saw a party in Dublin so pubs must be the cause of spikes that exceed the peaks of March and April. Despite there being multiple obvious reasons why it just can't be as simple as that.

If easy answers and scapegoats are all you want then fair enough.

No i saw party scenes fuelled by unscrupulous publicans also numerous pubs were mentioned in the news as having been breaking the rules as the gardai had reported

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that alcohol and Covid is a disaster

We opened up people partied and we are where we are

My point is we took the easy way out ah sure you'd have to have a few pints at Christmas

Germany and Holland decided to forego Christmas 2020 but as usual Fianna Fail took the populist route probably heavily lobbied by hospitality

I have absolutely no doubt young people were infected in pubs and carried the virus home and infected others

The real pity is all the small business now closed because of people's and publicans complete disregard for the dangers

Hopefully when the license renewals come up the gardai will expose these

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

xl500 wrote: »
    No i saw party scenes fuelled by unscrupulous publicans also numerous pubs were mentioned in the news as having been breaking the rules as the gardai had reported

There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that alcohol and Covid is a disaster

We opened up people partied and we are where we are

My point is we took the easy way out ah sure you'd have to have a few pints at Christmas

Germany and Holland decided to forego Christmas 2020 but as usual Fianna Fail took the populist route probably heavily lobbied by hospitality

I have absolutely no doubt young people were infected in pubs and carried the virus home and infected others

The real pity is all the small business now closed because of people's and publicans complete disregard for the dangers

Hopefully when the license renewals come up the gardai will expose these

This is the problem with posters like yourself. You're sure about things that you can't prove, which is deeply irrational. You types constantly frame pubs during lockdown as some sort of mad houses, where everyone is going wild, yet not one of the ones I was in was like that, they were actually the complete opposite.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

To be fair there was plenty restaurants where there wasn't 2m between groups of 6, and those groups were from many different households. Lots of close contacts were made in restaurant settings (under 2m for 15 mins). It was allowed but it most definitely contributed to the spread in December.

Even where there was 2m between tables etc, in an indoor setting when you are there for 90 mins + the thing will spread in those conditions as folk aren't wearing masks.

That puts Ireland at at 5,256 so far this week. At this point last week we were at 6,146 cases.

Here's some news from other countries on how they're handling things for comparison:
    • United Kingdom:
    Boris Johnson has said he is “optimistic” he will be able to begin announcing the easing of restrictions when he sets out his “roadmap” out of lockdown in England on 22 February. He said: “I’m optimistic, I won’t hide it from you. I’m optimistic, but we have to be cautious.”

More than 14 million people in the UK have now been given their first vaccine does and on Friday the R number dropped below 1 for the first time since July.

Matt Hancock believes new treatments and vaccines will turn Covid-19 into a disease we can live with “like we do flu”. “If Covid-19 ends up being like flu, so we live our normal lives and we mitigate through vaccines and treatments, then we can get on with everything again.”

However, Dr Sarah Pitt, a virologist at the University of Brighton, disagreed with Mr Hancock’s suggestion that we could live with coronavirus like we do the flu.

She told BBC Radio 5 Live: “It’s not a type of flu. It’s not the same sort of virus. It doesn’t cause the same sort of disease, it’s very, very nasty. “The mutations, the variations, that we’re seeing are becoming more infectious, not less infectious and a bit more dangerous, not less dangerous.”
    • Italy
    Italy on Saturday reported 311 coronavirus-related deaths on Saturday against 316 the day before, the health ministry said, while the daily tally of new infections dipped slightly to 13,532 from 13,908 reported on Friday.

Italy has extended the travel ban between regions until 25 February as part of nationwide measures to curb covid-19.
    The decree - the last by the outgoing government of Giuseppe Conte - follows calls from regional governors to extend the ban amid concerns over the potential spread of covid-19 variants from hotspots around the country.

Health authorities issued a weekly report indicating that the R rate had risen slightly to 0,95, from 0,84 last week.
    A night time curfew remains in effect throughout the country from 10pm to 5am, and gyms, pools and theatres remain closed.
    • Sweden
    Anyone entering the Nordic country must, from this weekend, present a negative test result no more than 48 hours old. The government in Stockholm says the new restrictions are necessary to keep out virus mutations, and come on top of recent travel bans on arrivals from the UK, Denmark and Norway.

Following Denmark, Sweden has announced plans for an immunisation passport later this year – in the hope it will allow those who have been vaccinated to travel more widely.
    The new rules come as Sweden’s death toll in the Covid-19 pandemic crosses the 12,000 mark, a death rate per capita many times higher than those of its Nordic neighbours.

Bars won’t be allowed to sell alcohol after 8 p.m. until the end of February, and from March 1 until April 11, alcohol sales will be banned after 10 p.m., the government said in a statement.
    “Transmission remains at a high level and Sweden is still in an extraordinary situation,” the government said in its statement. “If the situation deteriorates, or doesn’t improve, the rule on a temporary alcohol ban may be extended further.”
    • France
    France's health authority is recommending that anyone previously infected with Covid-19 should only receive one vaccine jab, instead of the normal two doses. The agency has not said how this recommendation could be acted on or how France would identify who has already contracted Covid-19 and when.

It has delivered nearly 2.8 million vaccinations so far, the health ministry said.

France closed its borders to people arriving from outside the European Union on January 31st in a bid to stop the spread of new variants of the coronavirus.
    All those arriving from other EU countries are required to produce a negative Covid-19 test.
    France also closed all large shopping centres and limited travel to and from its overseas territories.
    • Germany
    Germany is to ban travel across some of its borders, after the interior ministry said Austria's Tyrol region and the Czech Republic were now classed as coronavirus "mutation areas".
    The infection rate has come down in Germany in recent weeks and the head of the RKI public health institute, Lothar Wieler, said on Friday that the "corona measures are working", adding that they had also helped prevent the usual wave of winter flu.

A national lockdown has been extended until 7 March, but schools in some states will reopen this month and hairdressers can start work again on 1 March.

As of Friday a total of 3.7 million people in Germany had received both a first and second dose of the Covid-19 vaccine, according to Statista.

Germany rolled out its vaccination campaign in December, but has been criticised for the slow pace and bureaucratic hurdles which have stood in the way of even the first priority group having full access to vaccination.

Static Jac on Reddit Ireland

The weekly drop this week is tiny

We've plateaued and this is with Level 5 restrictions

Add in the Brazilian variant and schools re-opening soon and I think we're all kinds of fuct

The sugar-coaters will spin it differently however
    That puts us at 4,867 cases this week so far. This time last week we were at 5,256. So a difference of 389 cases.

It could be very different after tomorrow but it's looking like the lowest weekly drop in cases since the restrictions came in. Still a drop but I'd like to see a bit more progress than that.

For comparison, here's the weekly cases since this lockdown started up to last week.

Week 01 (2021) - 45,770
    Week 02 - 25,212
    Week 03 - 14,877
    Week 04 - 9,016
    Week 05 - 7,170
    Week 06 - 6,044

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,974 ✭✭✭✭Stark

The 14 day rate actually increased today which was worrying.

Static Jac's weekly update

Stay down you b@stard

So that's 4,574 cases this week. A drop of 990 compared to last week.

A list of previous weeks (Mon-Sun) for anyone interested:

A graph of weekly cases.
    • Week 38 - 1,982 (Dublin Level 3: 18/09)
    • Week 39 - 2,084 (Donegal Level 3: 25/09)
    • Week 40 - 3,070
    • Week 41 - 4,510 (National Level 3: 07/10)
    • Week 42 - 7,495 (Cavan, Donegal and Monaghan Level 4: 15/10)
    • Week 43 - 7,194 (National Level 5: 22/10)
    • Week 44 - 4,940
    • Week 45 - 3,500
    • Week 46 - 2,613
    • Week 47 - 2,622
    • Week 48 - 1,830
    • Week 49 - 2,050 (National Level 3: 01/12)
    • Week 50 - 1,984
    • Week 51 - 3,381
    • Week 52 - 6,659
    • Week 53 - 15,759 (National Level 5: 30/12)
    • Week 01 (2021) - 45,770
    • Week 02 - 25,212
    • Week 03 - 14,877
    • Week 04 - 9,016
    • Week 05 - 7,170
    • Week 06 - 6,044
    • Week 07 - 5,564
    • Week 08 - 4,574 (This Week)

Advertisement