Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second wave

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 augur2

Lockdown 2 is inevitable.

No way they will let cases rise for days and do nothing.

I hope I am wrong.

Check out COVID-19 pandemic in Singapore on Wikipedia. 160 times increase from March to May. And they were almost at zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭AUDI20

Another pointless thread on Covid-19. No one can tell what will happen into the future and numbers on 2nd waves etc is just guessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭youandme13

Imo our 2nd wave wont be as bad as imagined

Hand washing and cough into.elbow is common place.....the annual flu could be a non-event this week

Facemasks are hit and miss.though

Launch a massive publicity drive for hand sanitisng,and be quick response for locking down areas with cases aswell as random on spot checks from hse to ensure complience in shops etc

Can see gatherings being reduced to 200 again though

I really dont think so tbh.

I Was in Penneys last week with my son standing at the markers to que to pay, a girl mid-late 20's with her boyfriend literally standing breathing down my neck like hello!! I had to give her two looks to get her to keep back very uncomfortable!

Also masks, I dont see anyone wearing them, maybe 5% of people and it's mostly people working in the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,643 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

augur2 wrote: »
    June 2020, Ireland

Only a few hundred active coronavirus cases in Ireland.

July 2020

Pubs have reopened. After a long time... People are back for a pint.

August 2020

Number of COVID-19 cases has tripled. Pubs have been closed again.

September 2020

Schools are open again.

October 2020

Over 3000 active cases.

December 2020

Over 20000 active COVID-19 cases.

Do you really want to go back?
    We were nearly there. Nearly zero infections. Nearly... Almost...
    But then the new waves started ...

-- Mr. Augur

Stay safe and good luck!
    Glad your crystal ball is still intact.

What's the point of this????

• Registered Users Posts: 4 augur2

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    Glad your crystal ball is still intact.

What's the point of this????

Warning!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

augur2 wrote: »
    June 2020, Ireland

Only a few hundred active coronavirus cases in Ireland.

July 2020

Pubs have reopened. After a long time... People are back for a pint.

August 2020

Number of COVID-19 cases has tripled. Pubs have been closed again.

September 2020

Schools are open again.

October 2020

Over 3000 active cases.

December 2020

Over 20000 active COVID-19 cases.

Do you really want to go back?
    We were nearly there. Nearly zero infections. Nearly... Almost...
    But then the new waves started ...

-- Mr. Augur

Stay safe and good luck!

Pointless thread. May as well have a thread on next weeks lotto numbers

youandme13 wrote: »
    I really dont think so tbh.

I Was in Penneys last week with my son standing at the markers to que to pay, a girl mid-late 20's with her boyfriend literally standing breathing down my neck like hello!! I had to give her two looks to get her to keep back very uncomfortable!

Also masks, I dont see anyone wearing them, maybe 5% of people and it's mostly people working in the shops.

You need proper hse/shop management of enforcement social distancing

I feel sorry this has happened you,and while id not be much consumerist

,i can only state that at work/local shop i use,social distancing/queing etc is v.much done properly

The facemask.thing is v.patchy....though i feel an uptick in infections and public will take it upon emselves and wear them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

What's disturbing me is everyone getting ready to go on holiday's. Can people not wait until next year ffs? At the least have a staycation.

In the UK, Boris will allow non essential travel from July 7th. The UK is still riddled.

Worrying reoccurrence in Germany recently.

As far as I'm concerned there should be no non-essential travel anywhere in Europe until we get through the winter period at least.

Why have we made such sacrifices to risk throwing away the progress made?

Even the 14 day quarantine is hardly foolproof or reliable, yet we will do away with that too for 'air bridge' countries - countries where the virus is in circulation still. We are not following the scientific advice with this - Holohan and team are deeply concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

Maybe the fact that more people are aware of hand hygiene/cough, sneeze etiquette will help when the next outbreak of anything occurs.

I work in a high risk environment and while I obviously take hand hygiene seriously and wear masks for the length of every shift, I don't spend my time out of work concerned about who's around me or breathing down my neck.

You can't live every day in fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

Facemasks have to be mandatory in all public places and shops with arrests for non compliance.

Plain clothed Gardaí should be everywhere.

We should be financially encouraged to report our friends and neighbours for breaches.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭seefin

Are people really conscious of cough/sneeze etiquette now or capable of it? At least once a day see someone coughing into hands or making an ineffectual attempt to cover with elbow - just waft their wrist 6 inches in front of their mouth and think thats capturing any particles. Twice in past 2 weeks have been talking to neighbours standing about a metre away outdoors and both coughed without any reasonable attempt to cover it . I don't think etiquette is going to prevent a second wave

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Facemasks have to be mandatory in all public places and shops with arrests for non compliance.
    then you have to legally define facemasks, and the correct wearing of them (nose not sticking out etc), are you going to go with any particular standard? like motorbike helmets would need to be some approved standard. I guess no homemade ones allowed.

What is the fine you suggest? how long in jail for non payment of the fine? or would you skip fines and go straight to jail?

Many might still be very averse to using masks as initially I saw a few authorities saying a mask was WORSE than not wearing one.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,132 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Pretty much the same discussion as in the second wave thread so threads merged

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

seefin wrote: »
    Are people really conscious of cough/sneeze etiquette now or capable of it? At least once a day see someone coughing into hands or making an ineffectual attempt to cover with elbow - just waft their wrist 6 inches in front of their mouth and think thats capturing any particles. Twice in past 2 weeks have been talking to neighbours standing about a metre away outdoors and both coughed without any reasonable attempt to cover it . I don't think etiquette is going to prevent a second wave

This has been my experience as well. I've witnessed a few things over the past few weeks on carelessness about coughs. If we do get a second wave, it doesn't bode very well going forward in relation to the' viral load'. If cases start increasing in communities again, it is that type of carelessness that will see people come down with serious/heavy sickness because of viral load from an infected person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Hairy Japanese BASTARDS!

rubadub wrote: »
    then you have to legally define facemasks, and the correct wearing of them (nose not sticking out etc), are you going to go with any particular standard? like motorbike helmets would need to be some approved standard. I guess no homemade ones allowed.

What is the fine you suggest? how long in jail for non payment of the fine? or would you skip fines and go straight to jail?

Many might still be very averse to using masks as initially I saw a few authorities saying a mask was WORSE than not wearing one.

How does it work in countries with mandatory facemasks?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Know a number of people who are itching to get away and have flights booked. Numbers are going to inevitably rise in the coming weeks. I fear winter will see us back in some form of lockdown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

namloc1980 wrote: »
    Know a number of people who are itching to get away and have flights booked. Numbers are going to inevitably rise in the coming weeks. I fear winter will see us back in some form of lockdown.

Exactly do it will you can

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,724 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I've a feeling the numbers are going to start picking up apace over the next few weeks.

I hope I'm wrong but the evidence is there for anyone to see that people, especially under 50s imo, are starting to behave as if the virus doesn't exist anymore. Not all of them but the majority.

Still seeing plenty of older people in supermarkets and shopping centres with no masks. I think mandatory masks when indoors anywhere other than your own home is the message needed to get people to cop on. The debate about it is unhelpful. Masks can only be effective to prevent spread if the majority of people wear them.

You don't know if you have the virus, same as before, and it will be the same for the foreseeable future so the reasonable course of action is still to behave as though you do have it and also as though everyone you meet has it. Because they don't know either.

Also in all of the places I've been in the past 24 hours, socially distancing is gone. 5 different shops and no one bothering to stay back mask or no mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,445 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Paranoid loonies. I’ve the cure for the virus. Turn off your tv and just like that...no virus.

Arrest me for not wearing a mask on the bus, get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Paranoid loonies. I’ve the cure for the virus. Turn off your tv and just like that...no virus.

Edgy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34 Walnut Salad

Went shopping in Athlone today. Very little social distancing going on. Some shops better than others.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,603 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Alright Karen chill out

• Registered Users Posts: 23,648 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

gmisk wrote: »
    Alright Karen chill out

Where does this Karen thing come from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭owlbethere

namloc1980 wrote: »

I was talking to a teacher from one of the local schools and she was saying she had a trip booked but if it wasn't for her elderly parents in law they would still go. The parents in late rely a lot on her and her husband. She was saying she's young, fit and healthy and she feels she would be able to cope well with the virus. The only thing that is stopping her from continuing with the holidays is the parents in law. That's it.

I was baffled about the womans stupidity. She would be in her late 40s at a guess, maybe even early 50s. It was just her attitude of 'sure, its a virus. It will pass in a few weeks'. Very little critical thinking involved from her.

I don't think there was a message strong enough from the government to put across that this virus is much more than a flu. There was very little reported in the news about a long tail illness.

I see it as a civil duty to stay at home and keep things low key. Keep myself safe, keep those around me safe and not set off a cluster in my community.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭00benski

I've a pain in my bo. Llox with it at this stage.

Just tought you should all know this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,641 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

All the curtain twitchers will probably be soon out stock-piling toilet paper , freezers and rice - stupidly its already begun in Austraila- the Doomsday scenario predicted here early March never happened - life will go on - Virus are apart of life, people die - so lets start living - havnt posted here in 6 weeks and life is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,306 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I don't see any end to this for 5 years plus, no light at the end of the tunnel. All it takes is a couple of infected people on a plane coming in to the country and expose it to the right number of people and we are back to square one.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Beachballz

I hate sequels, especially when the original was dreadful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭Emmersonn

No need to worry about the second wave. The third wave is the MAJOR worry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Seem to be a increase in cases alright. This could be another one those "crucial weeks" - if there are steady increases in new cases his week (combined with an increase in close contacts) we won't have to wait until winter for a second wave.

I'm far from being a lockdown fetishist but am starting to get quite worried about our relaxation of restrictions now. People were fed up of lockdown and if another one is introduced there will be far lower compliance IMO. There is already a blase attitude to basic social distancing, I must admit that i'm surprised at how quickly people have gone back to their old ways.

The health service is a shambles and it is nearly back to capacity with non Covid patients - that didn't take long. Care of the elderly in the community is an even bigger fiasco than it was pre Covid - daycare centres are closed indefinitely, meals on wheels have stopped, home help hours have been cut. We are not in a good position to deal with a second wave.

i understand the need to get back to business but some of what is happening is completely unnecessary and doesn't help the economy - e.g. in the public service, staff who have been working fine from home are getting pressured to get back into the office to do the same work that they were doing at home. Except once they are in the office they'll be back to shuffling paper and have to disinfect their hands before and after they touch a document or a photocopier etc., EVERY time. No mention of masks of course :rolleyes:

I'd love to see the evidence for the effectiveness of this obsessive hand sanitising vs the effectiveness of staff working from home and mask wearing. Seems to be a lot of thick people out there who can't grasp that this is a respiratory virus mostly spread by inhaling droplets from other people sneezing, coughing, breathing, talking.

Advertisement