Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheapest way to dispose of old carpet

• 22-06-2020 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I have a load of old carpet and underlay to get rid of. Based on skip sizes I'd need a 6 cubic yd skip which is about €270 so not cheap.

Just wondering if there is a cheaper alternative to hiring a skip? I have seen Ringsend Recycling mentioned before and some others but I'm based in South Wicklow and don't have a tow bar on the car so transporting it myself isn't really an option.

Any ideas? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

cut it into squares and put it in the bin every week. or to the local recycling place

Or roll it up and drive it to the dump and pay per KG.
    Ours is 22c per KG for carpet.
    270e worth of skip would get you 1230KGs !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,430 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Round my way, it would seem driving to an isolated area and hoofing it into the ditch is the preferred option. ☹️

Then the council will dispose of it for "free".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Cut it up and give it to all your friends and family as car floor mats. They'll love it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

Car99 wrote: »
    Cut it up and give it to all your friends and family as car floor mats. They'll love it.

Apt user name, you must have no foot wells remaining with the height of car floor mats installed.

If it's in good condition stick it up on adverts for free and someone may take it off your hands.
    Otherwise cut to size that will fit in a car, our local recycling centre is €7 per boot load or €16 for full car. With the rear seats folded you'd fit a good deal of carpet even if it meant doing a couple of runs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭GinSoaked

Apt user name, you must have no foot wells remaining with the height of car floor mats installed.

If it's in good condition stick it up on adverts for free and someone may take it off your hands.
    Otherwise cut to size that will fit in a car, our local recycling centre is €7 per boot load or €16 for full car. With the rear seats folded you'd fit a good deal of carpet even if it meant doing a couple of runs

Our local "recycling" centre (repurposed council tip) is a bit more expensive at €20 a car full but a full car also includes a roof rack so you really can get your monies worth :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Conork2020

Depending on location and size of car, dumps will cost between 15-25 euro per car load. As long as you have hatchback or put on the roof and take it handy enough it will be easy and won’t wreck your car. Never understand why people pay 85 euro to have bag collected when for that price you’d get 4 car loads. I put up for sale a load of things on DoneDeal for very low price so it could be recycled rather than go to landfill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

€30 for a small car in Ballyogan Dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

I put a load of carpet on donedeal for free. there was a bit of wear on it but got lots of interest, ended up some going to do a guys gym shed and another to a kids play room. If its in good condition people will collect for free and reuse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Thanks all for the ideas. Rang around a few recycling centres near me but none of them take carpet. I think Ballyogan dump is closest to me so a few trips there might do it. There's a good bit of it to get rid of so I could be a long time moving it on adverts or done deal. All beats an expensive skip anyway! Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭Mav11

Thanks all for the ideas. Rang around a few recycling centres near me but none of them take carpet. I think Ballyogan dump is closest to me so a few trips there might do it. There's a good bit of it to get rid of so I could be a long time moving it on adverts or done deal. All beats an expensive skip anyway! Thanks again.

Ringsend might be an option in that case. Much cheaper than Ballyogan for a car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭Uncle Pierre

Throw it up on adverts.ie and offer it for free anyway. Even if you have loads of it and only got rid of a bit of it that way, it'd still cut down on the amount of stuff you'd have to ferry around somewhere else yourself. And at least somebody would be getting some good of it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kurtainsider

Look for €30 for it. On Adverts.ie everyone wants €30 for their f***ing rubbish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

Cut it into lengths that will fit between the joists in your attic. You can never have too much insulation. :D

Advertisement