Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First bike, 125cc suggestions

Options
  • 22-06-2020 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Late thirties on a provisional bike licence looking to buy a 125cc to learn and cruise on for a year or two. I have been looking at some of the Chinese bargain brands which look okay but not sure if they will last.

Any one experience of them or maybe suggest an alternative second hand or new ?

Thanks for any help offered

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭XsApollo

I don’t know what bikes people can ride first off these days.
    A 125cc might be good for about 3 days before you will wonder why you didn’t get something bigger.
    Get something that’s rideable but has room for progress as you get more experienced.
    I’m sure others will recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Similar boat to yourself and I went for a 250 CBR, Id have liked more but insurance was ridiculous, near 800 for the above amd they tell me with one year ncb it will be 300.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,121 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

I bought a Honda Super Four (CB400SF) when I started five years ago, I understand its about as powerful as a learner bike can be.

Did me very well, definitely enough power to start off riding without being overpowered, very easy to handle, not bad on juice and reliability is excellent.

You may also want a bike that you won't mind putting a scratch on, as it wouldn't be unusual to drop or damage your first bike in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭futurefarmer

Thanks for the replies lots of food for thought. Applied for theory test and waiting on that so I'm a bit off getting anything yet but it gives me a chance to look at lots of bikes. I was going for a 125cc as it's the only one I can ride on a provisional which when I do get it I will probably have for a year before my test. 125 will get me in the road in the meantime is my thinking

Thanks for the comments

Thanks for the replies lots of food for thought. Applied for theory test and waiting on that so I'm a bit off getting anything yet but it gives me a chance to look at lots of bikes. I was going for a 125cc as it's the only one I can ride on a provisional which when I do get it I will probably have for a year before my test. 125 will get me in the road in the meantime is my thinking

Thanks for the comments

How come you're restricted to a 125 if you're in your thirties?

• Advertisement

Thanks for the comments

If you're late 30s you can get an A licence so you aren't limited by engine size, just the gouger insurance companies

If you're late 30s you can get an A licence so you aren't limited by engine size, just the gouger insurance companies

Am I wrong in thinking that when I'm on a provisional I'm restricted to a 125cc ? Or can I get an A licence provisional?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭IrishGrimReaper

You are wrong. Once you're 24 or over you can get a category A Learner Permit which means you can ride any size bike. Insurance is the only hurdle for you.

Do your IBT before buying a bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Please don't buy a 125. It'll actually put you off biking.

At your age, the world is your oyster, and no reason not to buy something...........'sensible'. A nice Honda CB500 wouldn't be outrageous, and cheap to boot.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Please don't buy a 125. It'll actually put you off biking.

At your age, the world is your oyster, and no reason not to buy something...........'sensible'. A nice Honda CB500 wouldn't be outrageous, and cheap to boot.

I'd second this.

A 125 will be boring you within a few weeks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Absolutely don't get a 125cc bike, you'll despise the experience.

Most people would go with a 600cc bike as they're still cheaper to insure, there's a massive range of them to suit all tastes and are generally very affordable.

Thanks for clearing g that up up, cb500 looks like fun defiantly one go look out for, are the older models pretty bomb proof or would I be as well off stretching for new ? Kind of budget I would need second hand ?

Thanks for all the help this is brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Thanks for clearing g that up up, cb500 looks like fun defiantly one go look out for, are the older models pretty bomb proof or would I be as well off stretching for new ? Kind of budget I would need second hand ?

Thanks for all the help this is brilliant

Depends what bikes your into, cruisers, naked, sports etc.

I had a hornet 250, hornet 600, zxr 636. Then got a really fast bike and back to msx125 now.

All bikes can kill you though but don't buy anything too fast!

Id be looking a a honda alright, id fancy the hornet but thats just me.

TheW1zard wrote: »
    Depends what bikes your into, cruisers, naked, sports etc.

I had a hornet 250, hornet 600, zxr 636. Then got a really fast bike and back to msx125 now.

All bikes can kill you though but don't buy anything too fast!

Id be looking a a honda alright, id fancy the hornet but thats just me.

I'm not a speed demon so I won't be looking for anything crazy fast just acceleration when needed, more a cruiser I think

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

With Cruisers you've got some amazing choices, Honda Shadow or Rebel are fantastic.

Personally I prefer the Dragstar 650 (which I have), it's low and heavy, but easy to maneuver in traffic and filtering, but makes it great for driving in heavy rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭older i get better i was

Wo wo wo. I'm currently looking at going back on a motorcycle for traffic reasons. I'm in fifties but had bikes all throughout my twenties. I was led to believe I can "only" get a 125cc on a provisional or leaner license...is this the case or not...as I'm just about to buy a Suzuki van van 125 in UK and ship it. I was convinced I could only put put around on 125..I'd probably go 250 if I thought it was possible?? Any info appreciated

Wo wo wo. I'm currently looking at going back on a motorcycle for traffic reasons. I'm in fifties but had bikes all throughout my twenties. I was led to believe I can "only" get a 125cc on a provisional or leaner license...is this the case or not...as I'm just about to buy a Suzuki van van 125 in UK and ship it. I was convinced I could only put put around on 125..I'd probably go 250 if I thought it was possible?? Any info appreciated

You can drive any bike that can be restricted to under a certain power. Or any bike up to that.
    I dont know exactly what it is but Its more than 125!

You could be rolling around on a harley sportster 883 if they can be restricted

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭older i get better i was

TheW1zard wrote: »
    You can drive any bike that can be restricted to under a certain power. Or any bike up to that.
    I dont know exactly what it is but Its more than 125!

You could be rolling around on a harley sportster 883 if they can be restricted

So how can a bike be restricted? What's the best place for definitive information on this would you know?

https://www.rsa.ie/PageFiles/7701/motorcycle_licence.png

For licence purposes there is no power restriction on category A, have a word with your insurance company and see what they'll quote you on.

I ended up on a 250 but iving in Dublin 8 made it harder

So how can a bike be restricted? What's the best place for definitive information on this would you know?

https://www.ndls.ie/

• Advertisement

Looking at a new cb500F, RRP 7,500 how much roughly gets added on for delivery registration etc ?

Thanks for the help

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

You can ride any bike you can get insurance on.
    Restricting doesn't apply to A licences at all.
    Restricting is for A2's and a bike can't be restricted to more than half its original power.
    I'm 28 have a cbr600 on a learners permit.
    Get your learners, do ibt, get a bike, get insured, drive on

Anyone telling ya you're restricted to cc on an A is just simply wrong, you're only restriction is what you can insure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

The Honda Hornet seems like a decent learner bike. Does anybody have a ballpark figure on what the insurance cost would be?

Im a newbie also and Ive been told to go straight for a 600cc!

BruteStock wrote: »
    The Honda Hornet seems like a decent learner bike. Does anybody have a ballpark figure on what the insurance cost would be?

Im a newbie also and Ive been told to go straight for a 600cc!

How long is a piece of string
    Ring around everyone gets different quotes you could end up paying more on a hornet than I do on my cbr due to age, location, ncb and driving history.
    There's 4 places to ring won't take ya long or get an online liberty quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

Mjolnir wrote: »
    How long is a piece of string
    Ring around everyone gets different quotes you could end up paying more on a hornet than I do on my cbr due to age, location, ncb and driving history.
    There's 4 places to ring won't take ya long or get an online liberty quote.

Do you think the cost would come down if the bike was able to be parked out the back garden or in a garage?

BruteStock wrote: »
    Do you think the cost would come down if the bike was able to be parked out the back garden or in a garage?

Not a lot no, doesn't make a difference with liberty at all in most cases. Mines chained up out front and the qoute was the same for it in the back shed.
    Certain bikes in certain areas will need to be in a garage or shed due to value and risk of area.

Looking at a new cb500F, RRP 7,500 how much roughly gets added on for delivery registration etc ?

Thanks for the help

I wouldn't be paying anything for delivery or registration on a new bike: I'd be asking for discount off RRP including those.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Whoever told you that is wrong. Once you're over 24 you cant a learner permit for a full A licence, and you can buy what you're happy to pay for.

Naturally, don't go mental with your first bike - you will drop it. I'd much prefer to drop a cheaper rather than dearer one to start off with..............

....you can drop the dear one a few years down the road like the rest of us ! :p

Ode To The Motorist

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭lalababa

Insurance generally for people like you would be 300e on a 250cc.
    Position of the foot pegs is the most important factor for me. So sit on a few road bikes and cruisers. Something like a cb250 or virago.
    There are some fast (75mph)interesting 125s, like varedero125, yam tdr125.
    Don't know much about the newer bikes.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭enrique66_35

Also worth having a play around on http://cycle-ergo.com/ to see how different bikes would fit you. Once you steer clear of and R/RR, S type designations (i.e. race/sports tuned) insurance should be got for anywhere from 350-650 euro depending on the bike and your circumstances. Higher if bike is only transport, lower if you have a car as well.

Also second what others have said, don't go overboard on your first bike buying new/expensive. I was in your position last year and ended up getting a Fz6 (2nd gen Fazer) for 3K and I managed to drop it twice in the space of 5 minutes. As upsetting as it was busting some plastic I would have been ALOT more pissed if it was a new expensive bike. Far as I know there are two types of bikers, those who have dropped their bike at least once and those who lie about it. ;)

Advertisement