Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to link to buildings about 20m apart.

Options
  • 22-06-2020 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭

But.... The second building extends by about 80m away from building 1, so needs to cover most of that.

Siro in building 1 with the router by the window directly facing building 2, (another window as it happens).

Would Google mesh or a Deco system do this? Or do I need an external ap connection between the two buildings.

This is non commercial use.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭moonlighting_1

cat 6 cable. as the saying goes find a way to install it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,367 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

That's what I was thinking. If I ran a suspended cat 6 between the buildings to an ap in building 2. That may do job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭moonlighting_1

he said it was non commercial use.
    fiber cable cant take as much abuse. would need to be installed in pipe underground.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I'd go with Cat6 and then you can build the network in the second building from that, but at least you'll have a good connection into the building as a good foundation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭wexfordman2

OSI wrote: »
    Bad practice to link 2 buildings electrically like that, better option would be fiber.

I've heard this before, bit surely it must be acceptable to use cat cable for this purpose as opposed to fibre.

• Advertisement

my worry (from what I read) is down to electrical isolation between the 2 buildings, both on different circuits. Im not a sparks..but we have relations who could do the cabling if thats a big concern. Underground would be a pain to be honest, lot of hard rock there...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Tbh I find power line converters to be good. Is there electricity between the two already ?

ted1 wrote: »
    Tbh I find power line converters to be good. Is there electricity between the two already ?

nope...basically its 2 seperate family house's..in a rural area. The second house doesnt really have much of a need, hence prefer to share the bb for the odd time its wanted.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,538 ✭✭✭✭ted1

nope...basically its 2 seperate family house's..in a rural area. The second house doesnt really have much of a need, hence prefer to share the bb for the odd time its wanted.

Then connecting via cable should be ruled out.

Something like this may be best. https://www.outdoorrouter.com/outdoor-wifi-extender-booster-500m-wireless-bridge-5km/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I guess the op asked the best way to connect 2 buildings, this would be fibre dug into the ground and connected between the 2 buildings. If they asked for the cheapest I'd probably say a cable ran between 2 houses would do it. Middle of the road would be some kind of wifi connection.

The 1 thing I would say, no matter what way you do it there will be a cost involved, even the cheapest option of a cable will need a wifi router in the other house as well as the cable itself to be ran. Personally, I would either get the cheapest broadband deal for the other house, I know it's not needed all the time but I always find with these things that once they're in they're used more and more. Looking at switcher.ie Vodafone has a 100mb deal at the moment for €20 a month for 6 months and €40 a month every month after this, that's €360 for the first year, there are even cheaper options if you want to go the mobile broadband route.

• Advertisement

We'll take a look, at one stage I reckoned a mesh might do it with line of sight between the routers (both beside Windows facing each other) but was told that wouldn't work very well.

An outdoor ap mounted on each house with a cable run from house 2 ap to a wireless router in house 2 seems to be best.

2 of these maybe

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N4EGN6H/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_dyY8EbXWVKMQW

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

I use powerline adaptors for achieving exactly this. The electricity was already set up. It works very well.

These are the ones I use:

TP-Link TL-WPA7510KIT Dual Band Gigabit AC750 Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, Range Extender, Broadband/Wi-Fi Extender, Wi-Fi Booster, Speed Up to 1000 Mbps, No Configuration Required, UK Plug https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0723C86CX/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_CEY8Eb7TF3GTG

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I use powerline adaptors for achieving exactly this. The electricity was already set up. It works very well.

These are the ones I use:

TP-Link TL-WPA7510KIT Dual Band Gigabit AC750 Powerline Adapter Starter Kit, Range Extender, Broadband/Wi-Fi Extender, Wi-Fi Booster, Speed Up to 1000 Mbps, No Configuration Required, UK Plug https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0723C86CX/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_CEY8Eb7TF3GTG

2 seperate houses in a rural setting though, totally different power circuits so powerlines won't work :(

We'll take a look, at one stage I reckoned a mesh might do it with line of sight between the routers (both beside Windows facing each other) but was told that wouldn't work very well.

An outdoor ap mounted on each house with a cable run from house 2 ap to a wireless router in house 2 seems to be best.

2 of these maybe

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N4EGN6H/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_i_dyY8EbXWVKMQW

Is there a reason the 2 houses have to be connected to the same network? Does the other house have a phone line in place already? By the time you have the 2 APs and the router bought you've a lot of expense already for something that you'll have to continue to support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭TheBoyConor

Could you get line of sight transceivers to link both buildings?
    Not wifi routers as they spread the signal all around.
    I'm talking about tranceivers specifically for linking two areas like this.

If you do a cable, make sure you place it in a 100mm duct at least 600mm underground and build proper draw chambers at either end. That way you can upgrade the link to fibre at some point with relative ease, or install other services in the duct too.

Clareman wrote: »
    Is there a reason the 2 houses have to be connected to the same network? Does the other house have a phone line in place already? By the time you have the 2 APs and the router bought you've a lot of expense already for something that you'll have to continue to support.

no, no phone line, its for the father and as little for him to have to get involved with the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

Cat 6 and put a ethernet surge protector on either end ?

Cat 6 and put a ethernet surge protector on either end ?

I think I'd second that, especially as the first setup, if you find it's not cutting the mustard or the cable isn't right or looks wrong or whatever then you can go ahead and do some more investments.

Personally, I'd be going for a cheap dongle/broadband setup but the above would probably be the quickest, cheapest and easiet solution outside of that.

I think I'd second that, especially as the first setup, if you find it's not cutting the mustard or the cable isn't right or looks wrong or whatever then you can go ahead and do some more investments.

Personally, I'd be going for a cheap dongle/broadband setup but the above would probably be the quickest, cheapest and easiet solution outside of that.

that sounds the way to go so! The latter doesnt work, tried before with VF and it barely got 3g and only then it was in one room.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

A pair of Nano Stations would do the job reliably and cleanly:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Ubiquiti-NanoStation-airMAX-Outdoor-Access/dp/B078XRG1R4

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

2 seperate houses in a rural setting though, totally different power circuits so powerlines won't work :(
    Oh right. If I'd seen the bit about extending 80m away from it I would have realised it wasn't a detached garage :)

Advertisement