Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not able to get up early during COVID

• 22-06-2020 3:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭

Hi

This isn't really an issue at all, but it's really annoying me. I'm a software engineer, and ever since lockdown started I've been working from home. It's been fine for the most part, and I'm enjoying the extra time in the evenings. This has allowed me to workout 5 days a week.

The issue I'm having is that I'm unable to get out of bed at the same time I did pre lockdown. I use to get up at around 6:45 to go to work, and I was grand. I loved the mornings. At the moment I'm getting up at 8:40ish, quick shower, breakfast at my desk and into my first meeting at 9:15.

The time I go to bed at doesn't seem to matter (if it's 10:30, or 12) I still get up at the same time. I have tried setting alarms on different devices, leaving my phone away from my desk (I switch it off and hop back into bed). It's annoying me now, as I should be trying to utilize this extra time.

Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

There are many more like you. Your body is utilising the extra time already, it's sleeping in and catching up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Your body clock has reset.

You are setting alarms and ignoring them because you can. If getting up later is bothering you, you need to reset your body clock. So you need to get out of bed with the alarm.

Get up and go for a walk before work. Or maybe do some chores.

Up to you how you spend the extra time.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭the14thwarrior

same here. but i'm not worrying.
    when i need to go back to work, i will get up an hour earlier and wake up on the commute into work.
    i'm going to bed the same time, but this working from home lark....... well...... i'm not the same person.

seriously why be concerned. its your body-mind or whatever. who cares. you are still in time for work, getting an extra's hours sleep, avoiding stress and traffic and getting your job done.

enjoy it while it lasts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Im the very same, I cant seem to get up before 10 am were as before I was up at 7am and out the door by 8. My sleep is messed up too, im finding it really hard to sleep at night. It's just from being out of routine.
    If it's bothering you, maybe make yourself some appointments or activities for the mornings to ensure you get up.

Set your alarm, not even for the same time as before, maybe half an hour later, get up, go for a walk, come back & then shower & breakfast before work.
    It's just procrastination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Appreciate it. I’m lucky to sleep past 530 these days no matter how tired I am.

Advertisement