Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man charged with writing 'rat' on book of condolence for Garda Colm Horkan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

walshb wrote:
    He is not the problem, and nor are his likes; our country’s justice system is the real “scum†in society in many many instances...

What is the point of a '2 year suspended sentence'? I mean seriously, that is absolutely pointless. Give them time or let them off if innocent, not this symbolic gesture of nothingness.

It means nothing to the scum and doesnt make law-abiding citizens any happier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

no.8 wrote: »
    What is the point of a '2 year suspended sentence'? I mean seriously, that is absolutely pointless. Give them time or let them off if innocent, not this symbolic gesture of nothingness.

It means nothing to the scum and doesnt make law-abiding citizens any happier.

I wouldn’t say it’s pointless, it’s an opportunity to reform with incentive.

Just blanket stating it’s pointless without any background is oversimplification, I’m not saying it was deserved here, just that opportunity to reform is necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

begbysback wrote: »
    I wouldn’t say it’s pointless, it’s an opportunity to reform with incentive.

Just blanket stating it’s pointless without any background is oversimplification, I’m not saying it was deserved here, just that opportunity to reform is necessary.

Doesn't work though, does it???

bladespin wrote: »

How do you know that, the cases where it fails make headlines, the cases where it’s successful are never heard again.

The whole of society is not advertised by the media, only the bad parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,385 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Doesn't work ever? Of course it works. Success rates are low, but that's the nature of the thing.

Depends on how you go about about it. Reform programmes are expensive but warehousing prisoner for a year costs a fortune, like in the region of 75k. There are no cheap solutions to the problems, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

How do you know that, the cases where it fails make headlines, the cases where it’s successful are never heard again.

oh my god

every day there are multiple reports of yet another malformed scrote with hundreds of convictions getting yet another suspended sentence

how many chances to reform should these arseholes get? a hundred? three hundred?

some people, a lot of people, are obviously not interested in or simply not reformable and they should be removed from society. permanently.

this scumbag is one such. writing something like that in or on a book of condolences is not normal behaviour

he should be locked up for the rest of his life he has no interest in being a member of functioning society

nasty little cúnt

Ah, come out of that, blaming the media for numptys with a sleeve like the back or a music album, how many times do you see serial offenders in the courts???
    Any garda will tell you as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 56,343 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Yes, well, I don't care for the good parts....they are a success...bravo.

I care that we are releasing recidivist scum into society time and time again...

And a huge reason for the recidivist aspect is because they are not being detained properly....they are out and about to allow them be recidivist...

If they were handed proper stiff sentences first time, they wouldn't be out causing harm and pain to people....

Or, if they were handed proper tougher sentences, on release they may think twice about re-offending, because if caught again, it's another long stretch inside; as opposed to pissy little sentences that they are getting now..

• Registered Users Posts: 56,343 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Anyone watch Crimecall last night?

The attack on a man standing...man walks past and sucker punches him. The victim had a bleed on the brain.....

What sort of sentence should the perp get? And what will he get?

Well, I have an idea that he gets may 18 months inside....if caught and convicted.

What he should get for this random act of violence against a person is 20 years....

You can bet with these type sentences being handed down, people would absolutely have a think before sucker punching someone, that could cause death....

But now? Sure, I might not get caught, and if I do.....? I can argue I was drunk, had a wee mental health flare up, and I might get two years tops inside. Out in 18 months on good behavior...

And even if we argue that it won't deter people, at least it locks them up for far longer, meaning their chances of inflicting this pain and hurt on others is taken away for a far longer time.....

Ah, come out of that, blaming the media for numptys with a sleeve like the back or a music album, how many times do you see serial offenders in the courts???
    Any garda will tell you as much.

I’m not blaming the media, what they print sells, and it just happens to be the unsavory aspects of society - I don’t blame them, they are a business, they are required to either make money or stop printing, so that’s the stuff they print, the stuff that will cause outrage.

All I’m saying is that the picture being painted on here, that where reform never occurs, that where suspended sentences are useless, and that where only locking people up indefinitely is the only solution, is inaccurate - because of the media.

• Advertisement

I’m not blaming the media, what they print sells, and it just happens to be the unsavory aspects of society - I don’t blame them, they are a business, they are required to either make money or stop printing, so that’s the stuff they print, the stuff that will cause outrage.

All I’m saying is that the picture being painted on here, that where reform never occurs, that where suspended sentences are useless, and that where only locking people up indefinitely is the only solution, is inaccurate - because of the media.

Don't be so sensitive, there's always flogging, that'd improve things.

Suspended sentences can work, just depends on the individual, repeatedly light or suspended sentences sends a very clear message to those who are listening.

in your opinion, what should happen to James Hennessy

How many times should he be allowed to commit crimes and then get short or suspended sentences?

How many innocent people should he be allowed to terrorise? How many people need to be affected by him, how many victims should be left in his wake?

your bleeding heart for scum like this is all well and good, but zero mention of his victims, the cost to their business and lives.

He is scum, people like him are scum and they are encouraged to be scum by the light-touch judges in this country.

in your opinion, what should happen to James Hennessy

How many times should he be allowed to commit crimes and then get short or suspended sentences?

How many innocent people should he be allowed to terrorise? How many people need to be affected by him, how many victims should be left in his wake?

your bleeding heart for scum like this is all well and good, but zero mention of his victims, the cost to their business and lives.

He is scum, people like him are scum and they are encouraged to be scum by the light-touch judges in this country.

Is this your full quota of outrage for the day, or is there room for more?

If you had of read my posts, you would have seen that I clearly stated “I’m not saying a suspended sentence was deserved in this case”.

Is this your full quota of outrage for the day, or is there room for more?

it's filling up nicely with your condescension, thanks very much

less of the personal nonsense yeah?

good lad

it's filling up nicely with your condescension, thanks very much

less of the personal nonsense yeah?

good lad

Apologies, wasn’t intended to be personal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

oh my god

every day there are multiple reports of yet another malformed scrote with hundreds of convictions getting yet another suspended sentence

how many chances to reform should these arseholes get? a hundred? three hundred?

some people, a lot of people, are obviously not interested in or simply not reformable and they should be removed from society. permanently.

this scumbag is one such. writing something like that in or on a book of condolences is not normal behaviour

he should be locked up for the rest of his life he has no interest in being a member of functioning society

nasty little cúnt
    Make the person, released on a suspended sentence to live next door to the judge. Then the judges will think twice when releasing serial offenders.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

na1 wrote: »
    Make the person, released on a suspended sentence to live next door to the judge. Then the judges will think twice when releasing serial offenders.

Then he would be living in a very nice house!!
    Better to make the judge live next door to the scrote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Rodin wrote: »
    While what he did was abhorent, the judge is acting with emotion.
    People accused of serious assault are granted bail. This guy wasn't.

Those who are accused of serious assault should be treated more stiffly than this guy.

Clearly his priors and subsequent charge are playing a role in this

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

a ugly fat ginger semi literate homosexual jail bird with a thing for men in uniform , I suppose at least he wont be able to breed more scum

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Clearly his priors and subsequent charge are playing a role in this

Witness intimidation - wouldn't be taken lightly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Nozebleed wrote: »
    writing Rat on a piece of paper is not criminal damage...you do realise this? as sick as it is...the guards have no right to arrest this guy for writing an insult in a book of condolence.

Apologist for Scum.

You aren't a member of the legal profession by any chance ?

I think this particular piece of shyte should be moved to a Garda station in Mayo or Roscommon until his next hearing.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

I would happily watch a breeze block being dropped on his, his family and all his skum friends heads. Rattigan dundon, all the vermin in the gangs in finglas blanch ballbriggan........

They are nothing but a f@cking disease to this country .... I celebrate when one of these animals is killed dies or wraps a stolen car around a pole...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

The Irish Times reports that Doofus has been left among his peer group until 7th July.

Presumably his (taxpayer-funded) lawyer will be heading to the High Court shortly to try and get him out, as he is being deprived of his "human rights" by being left in a dungeon.

"A 23-year-old man accused defacing a book of condolence for Detective Garda Colm Horkan has been remanded in continuing custody pending directions from the Director of Public Prosecutions.

The book had been left out on the counter at Dublin’s Blanchardstown garda station for the public to sign following the death of Detective Garda Horkan who was shot a number of times while responding to an incident in Castlerea, Co Roscommon last week.

Jason Hennessy from Sheephill Avenue in Blanchardstown is charged with criminal damage to the book of condolence which was allegedly defaced on Friday afternoon, and with violent behaviour at the station following his arrest.

He was refused bail on Monday at Blanchardstown District Court and appeared at Cloverhill District Court via video-link on Tuesday.

Judge Victor Blake noted from defence solicitor Amanda Connolly and the court sergeant that directions from the Director of Public Prosecutions were not yet available. Judge Blake remanded him in continuing custody to appear again on July 7 next.

Doesn't work ever? Of course it works. Success rates are low, but that's the nature of the thing.

Depends on how you go about about it. Reform programmes are expensive but warehousing prisoner for a year costs a fortune, like in the region of 75k. There are no cheap solutions to the problems, unfortunately.

The cost isn't that high. Prison will still cost us money even empty, still need staff, electricity and so on.

Now deduct his free council houses and dole from the cost cause he ain't getting it inside.

Now deduct the cost if the Gardai sitting in court for the cases involving this ****bsg and boost importantly, the couple of thousand in legal aid per case.

I'm not convinced and there's certainly room for discussion if prison is actually cheaper

Then he would be living in a very nice house!!
    Better to make the judge live next door to the scrote.

Why? The judge earned his home.

Why should anyone be made to live beside the scum except other scum?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Why? The judge earned his home.

Why should anyone be made to live beside the scum except other scum?

Well my reading of the original post is that because the judge released him maybe lightly, then if he was to have to put up with the scrote living next door to him, maybe he would reconsider his scentencing.
    Now the judge is likely a wealthy individual living in plush area, so next door would mean the scrote gets to live in a great house, as opposed to the probably bad area he currently lives in. So scrote would be doing well getting put up in this plush house.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

I would happily watch a breeze block being dropped on his, his family and all his skum friends heads. Rattigan dundon, all the vermin in the gangs in finglas blanch ballbriggan........

They are nothing but a f@cking disease to this country .... I celebrate when one of these animals is killed dies or wraps a stolen car around a pole...

Someone once told me the Dublin underclass are descended from Famine people who flooded into the city in the 19th Century but didn't make it to Liverpool or further beyond, this makes sense in a way given they're such a particular section of Irish society, almost akin to Travellers in their separateness, even having a slew of surnames that might still be Irish but aren't commonly found in the rest of the country. They're extremely parochial as well, for the most part the Inner City/Darndale/Sheriff St and so on is their world.

I've always barely viewed them as Irish, just Dubs/Jackeens/ or Dublin **** (that's reserved for the most obnoxious ones like the subject matter of the thread). Middle Class Dubs just come across to me as regular Irish people, Dubs with one or two country parents tend to be easier going as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

I’m not condoning what that scumbag did or wrote but there are criminal scum who have attacked people, vandalised property to the tune of thousands of euro, openly stolen property and are dealing and using drugs on the streets - and are utterly ignored by the gaurds and neither arreasted nor charges pressed nor any interest shown. its back to what always happens to get something done about a crime you need to know or be related to a gaurd and then you will be guaranteed a proper result.

I’d like to see an independent commercial audit - and not by the Garda Ombudsman - done on all station calls and 999 calls and on victims of crime - then we would actually begin to have the basics of an honest perspective on how bad the situation and apathy has got on crime in Ireland from inside and outside the forces and how everyone views the criminal justice ‘system’ as utterly dysfunctional.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

dd973 wrote: »
    Someone once told me the Dublin underclass are descended from Famine people who flooded into the city in the 19th Century but didn't make it to Liverpool or further beyond, this makes sense in a way given they're such a particular section of Irish society, almost akin to Travellers in their separateness, even having a slew of surnames that might still be Irish but aren't commonly found in the rest of the country. They're extremely parochial as well, for the most part the Inner City/Darndale/Sheriff St and so on is their world.

I've always barely viewed them as Irish, just Dubs/Jackeens/ or Dublin **** (that's reserved for the most obnoxious ones like the subject matter of the thread). Middle Class Dubs just come across to me as regular Irish people, Dubs with one or two country parents tend to be easier going as well.

A bit of a mixed bag. Plenty of descendents of Black and Tans knocking about.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

dd973 wrote: »

DEAR GAWWWWWWD

Advertisement