Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man charged with writing 'rat' on book of condolence for Garda Colm Horkan

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 439 ✭✭FutureTeashock

A very distasteful act but NOT a crime in my opinion.

The Irish constitution guarantees freedom of opinion and expression, so the High Court will rightly throw this case out.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭dd973

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    A bit of a mixed bag. Plenty of descendents of Black and Tans knocking about.

Never thought about that much, fair amount of English surnames among them, thought it was just a proximity thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,839 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The Irish constitution guarantees freedom of opinion and expression, so the High Court will rightly throw this case out.

This won't be thrown out, it is hardly ground breaking, lots of case law on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭StackSteevens

Why would it go to the High Court?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

dd973 wrote: »
    Someone once told me the Dublin underclass are descended from Famine people who flooded into the city in the 19th Century but didn't make it to Liverpool or further beyond, this makes sense in a way given they're such a particular section of Irish society, almost akin to Travellers in their separateness, even having a slew of surnames that might still be Irish but aren't commonly found in the rest of the country. They're extremely parochial as well, for the most part the Inner City/Darndale/Sheriff St and so on is their world.

I've always barely viewed them as Irish, just Dubs/Jackeens/ or Dublin **** (that's reserved for the most obnoxious ones like the subject matter of the thread). Middle Class Dubs just come across to me as regular Irish people, Dubs with one or two country parents tend to be easier going as well.

So they came into the city from the country, yet don’t have surnames common in the country.

Just the minimum amount of intelligence is required here to see through the bull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

begbysback wrote: »
    So they came into the city from the country, yet don’t have surnames common in the country.

Just the minimum amount of intelligence is required here to see through the bull.

T'was my first thought but didn't think it warranted the effort of typing out. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

theteal wrote: »
    T'was my first thought but didn't think it warranted the effort of typing out. . .

Yea, obviously a terrible liar, very amateurish, broke one of the 3 golden rules of lying, keep the lie simple, started to make the story too complicated and came undone - obviously an inexperienced liar.

To help with all those amateur liars out there here’s the 3 golden rules.

1) plant a seed
    2) keep the story simple
    3) try not to forget the lie

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

dd973 wrote: »
    Someone once told me the Dublin underclass are descended from Famine people who flooded into the city in the 19th Century but didn't make it to Liverpool or further beyond, this makes sense in a way given they're such a particular section of Irish society, almost akin to Travellers in their separateness, even having a slew of surnames that might still be Irish but aren't commonly found in the rest of the country. They're extremely parochial as well, for the most part the Inner City/Darndale/Sheriff St and so on is their world.

I've always barely viewed them as Irish, just Dubs/Jackeens/ or Dublin **** (that's reserved for the most obnoxious ones like the subject matter of the thread). Middle Class Dubs just come across to me as regular Irish people, Dubs with one or two country parents tend to be easier going as well.

Jesus Krist what a load of bull.I come from a long line of people from the Liberties. the most wonderful hard working kind hearted people .Strong Dublin women who were amazing Mams and Nanas and Great Nanas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Would the guards and courts be so quick to act if it was something like a roadside memorial to a non Garda that was defaced?

Highly, highly unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭LuasSimon

salonfire wrote: »
    Would the guards and courts be so quick to act if it was something like a roadside memorial to a non Garda that was defaced?

Highly, highly unlikely.

Are you defending this scum bag ? Are you a free legal aid solicitor by any chance ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Niallof9

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    A bit of a mixed bag. Plenty of descendents of Black and Tans knocking about.

Yeah a quick glance at some names from the area in the crime stories is a fair give away.

People forget Dublin, particularly in its docking and building was a boomtown in the 18th century. Many welsh dockers came here and from England etc. Fairview and parts of the end of Ballybough was home to many British soldiers.

The most ardent pro nationalists in the inner city, i'd wager many aren't actually Irish going way back. but like many of us i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,789 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Nozebleed wrote: »
    what law did he break?

Criminal Damage Act, 1991

“to damage” includes—

(a) in relation to property other than data (but including a storage medium in which data are kept), to destroy, deface, dismantle or, whether temporarily or otherwise, render inoperable or unfit for use or prevent or impair the operation of

• Registered Users Posts: 6,736 ✭✭✭Allinall

Thankfully your opinion doesn't count.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 921 ✭✭✭na1

Why? The judge earned his home.

Why should anyone be made to live beside the scum except other scum?

If Judges consider the person to be dangerous to the public, then why they release them on suspended sentence?
    Or if they think it is OK to release them, then it is OK to live next door to them.

Currently this is exactly what judges are doing: "made someone to live beside the scum".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,319 ✭✭✭facehugger99

LuasSimon wrote: »
    Are you defending this scum bag ? Are you a free legal aid solicitor by any chance ?
    Allinall wrote: »
    Thankfully your opinion doesn't count.
    jmayo wrote: »
    Apologist for Scum.

You aren't a member of the legal profession by any chance ?

I think this particular piece of shyte should be moved to a Garda station in Mayo or Roscommon until his next hearing.

The white-knighting by some posters to the very reasonable questions of how writing the word 'rat' constitutes criminal damage, is absolutely arse-clenchingly embarrassing to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

The white-knighting by some posters to the very reasonable questions of how writing the word 'rat' constitutes criminal damage, is absolutely arse-clenchingly embarrassing to read.

Read BattleCorp's post above. He defaced the book by writing "rat" on it. This is classed as criminal damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

dan1895 wrote: »
    Read BattleCorp's post above. He defaced the book by writing "rat" on it. This is classed as criminal damage.

What makes a word criminal damage? If he drew a squiggle on the book, would he be behind bars?

I’m not condoning what that scumbag did or wrote but there are criminal scum who have attacked people, vandalised property to the tune of thousands of euro, openly stolen property and are dealing and using drugs on the streets - and are utterly ignored by the gaurds and neither arreasted nor charges pressed nor any interest shown. its back to what always happens to get something done about a crime you need to know or be related to a gaurd and then you will be guaranteed a proper result.

I’d like to see an independent commercial audit - and not by the Garda Ombudsman - done on all station calls and 999 calls and on victims of crime - then we would actually begin to have the basics of an honest perspective on how bad the situation and apathy has got on crime in Ireland from inside and outside the forces and how everyone views the criminal justice ‘system’ as utterly dysfunctional.

What complete nonsense.

Prisons are over their limits, courts are overflowing every single day, Garda stations closed overnightbecause their cells are full.......

A ten second Google search dispells your rant

What makes a word criminal damage? If he drew a squiggle on the book, would he be behind bars?

Yes

The other person that was arrested for defacing a book did exactly that. Scribbled

It's also what the majority of graffiti artists do and that's also criminal damage.

na1 wrote: »
    If Judges consider the person to be dangerous to the public, then why they release them on suspended sentence?
    Or if they think it is OK to release them, then it is OK to live next door to them.

Currently this is exactly what judges are doing: "made someone to live beside the scum".

That's some very odd reasoning.

Judges like myself and most people, bought their homes. That means we get a say in where we live.

Judges are impartial, they stay neutral. That may annoy people sometimes but it's absolutely vital for our Justice system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Well you would be the expert around here in all things ar**holeish.

I am not allowed discuss …

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

It's not the word that's criminal damage, it's the act.

It's also not a book, it's a book of condolence and thereby writing abuse in it would be considered as damaging the book.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭gibsmedat

Jeff2 wrote: »
    This the guy.

Wants to ride the guards but calling them gay.

You ever heard of John Mongrel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Honestly the way the prosecution is being run suggssts the authorities know they have a weak case and are using the refusal of bail to punish him by keeping him inside until his trial.

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/newsireland/man-who-allegedly-wrote-rat-in-garda-colm-horkans-book-of-condolences-refused-bail/ar-BB15PDIA

No complaints from me, but it would be nice if bail was also refused in the many many instances where criminals who were obviously going to reoffend go on to commit crimes up to and including murder while on bail.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Honestly the way the prosecution is being run suggssts the authorities know they have a weak case and are using the refusal of bail to punish him by keeping him inside until his trial.

https://www.msn.com/en-ie/news/newsireland/man-who-allegedly-wrote-rat-in-garda-colm-horkans-book-of-condolences-refused-bail/ar-BB15PDIA

No complaints from me, but it would be nice if bail was also refused in the many many instances where criminals who were obviously going to reoffend go on to commit crimes up to and including murder while on bail.

Judges refuse bail, judges aren't the prosecution.

The simple reality is the presumption of innocence means that denying bail is jailing an innocent man.

It sucks in cases like this but it's important.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,874 ✭✭✭Edgware

gibsmedat wrote: »
    You ever heard of John Mongrel?

Anyway he will be a good source of pleasure during his week in custody

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

This the guy.

DP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

This the guy.

Did this vermin even get charged for verbally assaulting AGS here?
    Surely you cannot get away with speaking to our national police force like that? What message does that send out?

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

It's the same scummer who was in that Garda show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

This the guy.

You'd be surprised the difference in these scrotes when they're alone and don't have an audience. The purpose of what he's doing is to provoke the Garda and then claim he was brutalised, it's a no lose situation for him, and a no win situation for the garda.

Glazers Out!

Advertisement