Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 14

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 54,063 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Marty Bird wrote: »
    Back tap is a nice feature I’ve it set for screenshot and it’s handy now it tells you if the phone is network locked or not.

The back tape is a nice idea but IMO you've to tap too hard. I have to readjust my hand to be able to tap hard enough which makes it a bit pointless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    Anyone else’s clock widget wrong by 5 mins? (iPhone X)

On the phone so can’t display but click on below image.

I don’t like how I have to set the city to get the time widget right, why won’t it just take they phones times as default?

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I see OneDrive has added their widget as of the last update (last night).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I see OneDrive has added their widget as of the last update (last night).

I just checked on iPad and its not showing? Is it an old ios13 widjet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I just checked on iPad and its not showing? Is it an old ios13 widjet?

Nope, on iPhone. It's a new iOS 14 home screen widget.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Dunno if it’s happening for anyone else but I can’t update via iTunes. I have the latest version, downloaded last night but when the iOS 14 update gets to the end of the backup stage it gives the

“This iPhone could not be updated. Unknown error (4000)”

Tried the solutions online, such as restarting both devices, uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes, deleting the iOS 14 download and downloading it again, so I guess I’m left with an OTA update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Not being able to choose specific photos to display on the Photos Widget is a bit annoying. I'm getting some strange and very old photos popping up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,530 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

brophs wrote: »
    Dunno if it’s happening for anyone else but I can’t update via iTunes. I have the latest version, downloaded last night but when the iOS 14 update gets to the end of the backup stage it gives the

“This iPhone could not be updated. Unknown error (4000)”

Tried the solutions online, such as restarting both devices, uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes, deleting the iOS 14 download and downloading it again, so I guess I’m left with an OTA update.

I thought iTunes was gone?

Either way I haven't used it to update a phone years.

Just go with the over the air update. Much quicker and easier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Bob24 wrote: »
    Argh it seems to have broken Face ID on my 11 Pro.

Face ID doesn’t work anymore, and when I restart the phone a pop up says “Unable to enable Face ID on this iPhone”.

Anyone else with a similar issue?

And after a factory reset the issue is still present. Apple had me go through troubleshooting steeps and now says I need to send the phone back to them.

A bit if a disaster of a software update for me! (And luckily this happened just one week before expiry of the warranty)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Bob24 wrote: »
    And after a factory reset the issue is still present. Apple had me go through troubleshooting steeps and now says I need to send the phone back to them.

A bit if a disaster of a software update for me! (And luckily this happened just one week before expiry of the warranty)

Software updates can sometimes bring to light hardware issues that were creeping up in the background so this update definitely came at a good time for you

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    I thought iTunes was gone?

Either way I haven't used it to update a phone years.

Just go with the over the air update. Much quicker and easier.

Yeah, I thought so, but it's working fine for me.

The OTA updates have been a bit patchy for me over the years. I've had to restore phones due to battery drain a few times. Obviously I'll have to give it a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Doodah7 wrote: »
    Not being able to choose specific photos to display on the Photos Widget is a bit annoying. I'm getting some strange and very old photos popping up!

That is a balls....Id rather have nice photos coming up not work photos.

Imagine if some folks have whatsapp pictures saved on there phones and them coming up there :eek::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    That is a balls....Id rather have nice photos coming up not work photos.

Imagine if some folks have whatsapp pictures saved on there phones and them coming up there :eek::pac:

not sure what you mean, show us some examples from your whatsapp?!

The OTA updates have been a bit patchy for me over the years. I've had to restore phones due to battery drain a few times. Obviously I'll have to give it a go.

What model do you have?

Just keep it plugged in whilst updating and you should be fine.

The photos widget is pointless. It's one of those demo features that doesn't work in the real world, nobodies photo library is full of picturesque landscapes or perfect family snaps, and nobody is arsed about seeing half the stuff in their library in a slideshow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Are you using a windows machine or mac? On Mac theres no iTunes anymore since Catalina, all iPhone stuff is done through finder including updates. Works fairly seamlessly in my experience but i've been doing OTA updates for the last while.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

Anyone else notice their keyboard and predictive text set to Irish now? I thought the spell checker was going crazy, highlighting everyday words as misspelled, seems to have defaulted to Irish. I'm also finding since iOS 12 or 13 predictive text seems to turn itself off too easily, or I am pressing the button for it too easily without noticing. Very annoying.

Another thing which seems to be new and is probably useful is the little orange dot on the top of the screen to show the microphone is in use, that will help figure out if apps really are spying on conversations!

murpho999 wrote: »
    What model do you have?

Just keep it plugged in whilst updating and you should be fine.
    XS Max. Yeah, I just did the update. Went fine, as it usually does. On the occasions I've had issues it's been with battery drain in the days following. Hopefully not this time.
    Are you using a windows machine or mac? On Mac theres no iTunes anymore since Catalina, all iPhone stuff is done through finder including updates. Works fairly seamlessly in my experience but i've been doing OTA updates for the last while.

Windows 10 laptop. I had heard iTunes was gone, but when I plugged in my phone it opened iTunes and prompted the iOS 14 update, so it's still live anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,123 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Doodah7 wrote: »

As far as I can figure out, they’re from the ‘For You’ curated photos in the photos app. I’ve no idea what kind of algorithm they’re using as it seems to be completely random. I turned it off as I don’t keep photos, and I’m not particularly sentimental enough that I’d want to be looking at them all day.

I’m in two minds about the new widgets. I thought they’d be more like Windows 10 Phone, with the Smart Stack and all, but all I use is the calendar on the main Home Screen, and email notifications aren’t available - unless you use the old style notifications on the screen where you swipe right. They’re not working for Outlook (probably will eventually), but they look so out of place with the new widgets.

Also I preferred the old battery widget, but the world clocks widget is handy for just having the times in different time zones at a glance (nice touch with the night mode and day mode too depending on the time). The new widgets are a bit bloated is all.

Some minor niggles, but overall still a good update. I tried out the PiP for a bit, it’s a good idea on larger screens, but on a phone screen size it just gets annoying after a while - no way would I be able to watch a full movie on a screen size restricted to something like three inches, while trying to write a WhatsApp message or whatever. It just isn’t feasible. On a phone the PiP just seems like a novelty than a function one could get any use out of or the idea of greater productivity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Software updates can sometimes bring to light hardware issues that were creeping up in the background so this update definitely came at a good time for you

Yes I am thinking this might be what happened. Quite annoying nonetheless but but yes at least the timing the the warranty is good.

• Advertisement

As far as I can figure out, they’re from the ‘For You’ curated photos in the photos app. I’ve no idea what kind of algorithm they’re using as it seems to be completely random. I turned it off as I don’t keep photos, and I’m not particularly sentimental enough that I’d want to be looking at them all day.

I’m in two minds about the new widgets. I thought they’d be more like Windows 10 Phone, with the Smart Stack and all, but all I use is the calendar on the main Home Screen, and email notifications aren’t available - unless you use the old style notifications on the screen where you swipe right. They’re not working for Outlook (probably will eventually), but they look so out of place with the new widgets.

Also I preferred the old battery widget, but the world clocks widget is handy for just having the times in different time zones at a glance (nice touch with the night mode and day mode too depending on the time). The new widgets are a bit bloated is all.

Some minor niggles, but overall still a good update. I tried out the PiP for a bit, it’s a good idea on larger screens, but on a phone screen size it just gets annoying after a while - no way would I be able to watch a full movie on a screen size restricted to something like three inches, while trying to write a WhatsApp message or whatever. It just isn’t feasible. On a phone the PiP just seems like a novelty than a function one could get any use out of or the idea of greater productivity.

Widgets in general will be better when 3rd party apps release some.

XS Max. Yeah, I just did the update. Went fine, as it usually does. On the occasions I've had issues it's been with battery drain in the days following. Hopefully not this time.

Ok so you have a modern phone so no issues there.
    Any battery drain issues you had were to with the software itself rather than if was through iTunes or OTA.
    There's been no report of any battery drain issues with this release.

Windows 10 laptop. I had heard iTunes was gone, but when I plugged in my phone it opened iTunes and prompted the iOS 14 update, so it's still live anyway.

Ok just checked, I thought it was gone completely but it's not so. No longer on Mac and replaced by separate apps but still going on Windows and or older Mac os.
    So it's still going. I personally have not used it in years as I just don't see any need for it. Phone is self sufficient and I use iCloud back ups.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

I've noticed that my phone isn't auto connecting to my home wifi like it used to - since updating to iOS 14.
    Was in the office this morning for a few hours and it connected fine automatically to the work SSID (profile installed on the phone for this).

Anyone notice anything similar? When I manually connect it does tell me that security is weak for my password (didn't really think it was but there you go).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭pad199207

Mr Velo wrote: »
    I've noticed that my phone isn't auto connecting to my home wifi like it used to - since updating to iOS 14.
    Was in the office this morning for a few hours and it connected fine automatically to the work SSID (profile installed on the phone for this).

Anyone notice anything similar? When I manually connect it does tell me that security is weak for my password (didn't really think it was but there you go).

Yeah I have that issue on my Pro Max. When you tap the WiFi icon in the control centre it asks you what WiFi network do you want instead of just automatically connecting. It also says that my WiFi network has weak security. Eek.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,301 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Since I updated to iOS14 I’m getting alerts that passwords for sites I’m on including this one are part of a data leak. None of my passwords are the same but some(a couple) are similar with different symbols in places. Anyone else getting this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭drogon.

Anyone else noticing that Maps on iOS 14 doesn't seem to be updated with the latest details ?

Image from macOS Catalina
    https://i.imgur.com/CqvzN6r.png

From iOS14
    https://i.imgur.com/8VeUlXU.jpg

As you can see, the one on MacOS (Not even the latest version) has all the buildings for UCD campus, but not on iOS14

The iOS updated maps were coming "later in the year"
    I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I set up my iPhone and Watch from scratch. Took a while for the iPhone so didn’t get to the watch until this morning.

So far so good with it, the legacy widgets being relegated to the bottom isn’t the best. Haven’t really found a good use case for the widgets that are available so my Home Screen has stayed static.

I laughed the first time I got the hand wash notification, it’s very accurate so far and has activated every time I’ve washed my hands.

The PiP for video and new incoming call banner are welcome additions as well. The spatial audio is a bit unusual as well. So far tried it on a couple of Apple TV videos. I don’t really watch anything with AirPods in, especially not on the iPhone so I don’t know how useful it will be. A nice addition though.

Overall it’s not a crazy update, some nice additions and the App Library means I’ve gotten rid of all those “Utilities” and “Other” folders too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Since I updated to iOS14 I’m getting alerts that passwords for sites I’m on including this one are part of a data leak. None of my passwords are the same but some(a couple) are similar with different symbols in places. Anyone else getting this ?

New security addition, it can be disabled in the settings if you want. But probably best to leave it on and change those passwords to be on the safe side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,301 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

DubDJ wrote: »
    New security addition, it can be disabled in the settings if you want. But probably best to leave it on and change those passwords to be on the safe side.

Yeah I’ve changed them and I agree it’s a good feature but just looking at the few it alerted me to, none of them are the same in a way if someone guessed one you’d guess the others but better to be safe.

Advertisement