Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Favourites gone from the long press on the phone app. I'll miss that one used it all the time.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Heads up for anyone who changes default browser or mail app. It goes back to defaults after restart, it’s a bug.

https://9to5mac.com/2020/09/17/ios-14-default-app-settings/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,123 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Heads up for anyone who changes default browser or mail app. It goes back to defaults after restart, it’s a bug.

https://9to5mac.com/2020/09/17/ios-14-default-app-settings/

I noticed that this morning when opening articles from Apple’s news app. I thought it was because it was Apple’s app. Just set the default browser to Edge again now and tried opening an article from the Apple News app - opened in Edge. I’m thinking it’ll likely be addressed in 14.1, it’s a fairly blatant bug!

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Anybody else having to tap an apps folder multiple times to get into it? This is pissing me off now....

grayzer75 wrote: »
    Anybody else having to tap an apps folder multiple times to get into it? This is pissing me off now....

I was having some difficulty opening them until I copped that tapping on the four smaller icons opened up the full app folder. The four smaller icons are always in the bottom right corner. The other three large size apps should be tappable as normal. Also I can’t be certain yet, but I think they move around based upon usage. Took me a while to cop it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Was very annoyed to find the old widget that showed your favourites as icons missing. Used it all the time for calling people.

Managed to get a widget set up with one-touch calls and Whatsapps but it was a chore.

Need more 3rd parties to open it up alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Dades wrote: »
    Was very annoyed to find the old widget that showed your favourites as icons missing. Used it all the time for calling people.

Managed to get a widget set up with one-touch calls and Whatsapps but it was a chore.

Need more 3rd parties to open it up alright.

How did you do that? It’s a feature I can’t understand why they got rid of it.

🌞6.02kWp⚡️3.01kWp South/East⚡️3.01kWp West

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

iOS 14.2 beta 1 is with developers as of last night. Could show up for public beta testers today!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Marty Bird wrote: »
    How did you do that? It’s a feature I can’t understand why they got rid of it.
    I'm struggling to even explain having just set it up.

I had to download a Shortcuts app and in there create individual actions. e.g. Call Wife, Whatsapp Wife, Call Parents etc. I put them all in a folder, and then when editing the widget home screen you can choose Shortcuts - and it lets you add your folder of actions.

I was able to add a few different custom ones like add to my AnyList shopping list, but the whole thing is painful. Don't know why they got rid of such an obvious widget as your most used call contacts.

YouTube PIP working here on iOS 14 (YouTube Premium account)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭blacknight83

FourFourFM wrote: »

Only via browser? Don’t think the app has received update yet.

Only via browser? Don’t think the app has received update yet.

Working via the app here but like I say, with a premium account. Can’t imagine them allowing it for non-premium users.

The big downside now is that when you lock the phone or it goes to sleep, the audio stops playing, which worked fine on iOS 13 and was a major selling point - something they will iron out I hope

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭MoonUnit75

What device?

MoonUnit75 wrote: »
    What device?

iPhone 11 Pro.

YouTube premium allows you to leave the app and still have the audio playing, which would explain why they would allow PIP to work

On iPad (iPadOS 14), for contrast - no PIP but the audio of the video still plays when you leave the app and when you lock the iPad; the audio continues to play also, unlike on the iPhone where it stops.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Logic

iPhone 11 Pro.

YouTube premium allows you to leave the app and still have the audio playing, which would explain why they would allow PIP to work

On iPad (iPadOS 14), for contrast - no PIP but the audio of the video still plays when you leave the app and when you lock the iPad; the audio continues to play also, unlike on the iPhone where it stops.

Wow, thanks for that

Must be a pro thing. Doesn't work on an iPhone 11 with a YouTube premium account, only background audio.

This story just popped up right now too - https://www.macrumors.com/2020/09/18/picture-in-picture-ios-14-youtube-safari/

They must be changing things in real time

EDIT: not working for me at all now but it was 10 mins ago

Working via the app here but like I say, with a premium account. Can’t imagine them allowing it for non-premium users.

The big downside now is that when you lock the phone or it goes to sleep, the audio stops playing, which worked fine on iOS 13 and was a major selling point - something they will iron out I hope

Humm strange I’m have a YouTube premium members ship and iPhone 11 Pro don’t seem to work for me

Humm strange I’m have a YouTube premium members ship and iPhone 11 Pro don’t seem to work for me

They must be adjusting something in the background. They appear to have stopped it working on Safari and whatever change they made has affected my device too. I noticed it by complete accident earlier.

Strange that it never worked on any beta and they let it for the official release for a while.

• Advertisement

Just read if you request desktop website in safari that works for the moment! No doubt I’d say YouTube have put a stop to it as background playback is a key feature to premium

Strange that it never worked on any beta and they let it for the official release for a while.

It suggests it’s coded into the app which is a good thing for premium subscribers at least.

Sorry: figured it out. It works when I am airplaying to my HomePod’s. This is so weird. Still working.

Same when connected to AirPods

Just read if you request desktop website in safari that works for the moment! No doubt I’d say YouTube have put a stop to it as background playback is a key feature to premium

Works for me in both Edge and Safari without needing to request desktop site. I have YouTube Premium and I can lock the phone, the video stops playing. But on the Lock Screen I can press Play and the audio plays in the background. With the YouTube app it will always play audio in the background when I lock the phone. I don’t think it’s device dependent but mine is an iPhone 7 Plus.

Disney Plus app also does PiP, Sky Go app doesn’t.

EDIT: No PiP with the YouTube app.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,530 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

No, that's not working anymore.

Looks like You Tube have disabled it.

Works for me in both Edge and Safari without needing to request desktop site. I have YouTube Premium and I can lock the phone, the video stops playing. But on the Lock Screen I can press Play and the audio plays in the background. With the YouTube app it will always play audio in the background when I lock the phone. I don’t think it’s device dependent but mine is an iPhone 7 Plus.

Disney Plus app also does PiP, Sky Go app doesn’t.

EDIT: No PiP with the YouTube app.

I don't see PIP in Disney+? How did you access it?

murpho999 wrote: »
    I don't see PIP in Disney+? How did you access it?

It automatically goes full screen for me when I play something, and then I press the home button. Checked again just now, still works, same for Netflix.

It automatically goes full screen for me when I play something, and then I press the home button. Checked again just now, still works, same for Netflix.

Ah ok, that's not very intuitive is it? Well done for spotting.

On my 11, I just slide up for app switcher and it works.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

Anyone noticing screen brightness issues since update? iPhone 11.

Screen will be set to full brightness, but then it appears very dim until screen locked/unlocked and returns to selected setting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭JoeA3

This may have been mentioned already but since I updated my phone I've noticed that WiFi calling seems to be way more reliable.

I switched to Eir recently specifically to get this feature as my house has terrible phone coverage. However I was regretting bothering as Wifi calling was flakey. Often not appearing to work at all even when I had zero coverage (and 100% wifi). But since upgrading to iOS 14, I seem to permanently have "Eir Wifi calling" on the top left of my screen when within Wifi range, irrespective of what phone coverage is like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,932 ✭✭✭keith_d99

JoeA3 wrote: »
    This may have been mentioned already but since I updated my phone I've noticed that WiFi calling seems to be way more reliable.

I switched to Eir recently specifically to get this feature as my house has terrible phone coverage. However I was regretting bothering as Wifi calling was flakey. Often not appearing to work at all even when I had zero coverage (and 100% wifi). But since upgrading to iOS 14, I seem to permanently have "Eir Wifi calling" on the top left of my screen when within Wifi range, irrespective of what phone coverage is like.

I gave up on Eir as Wifi calling kept dropping for me.
    When it worked it was great .... but would always drop after a couple of mins.

On GoMo now ... whilst it can be enabled in the settings. When I try it says "Contact Eir" :)

Advertisement