Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

iOS 14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

awec wrote: »
    I find paying by Watch a bit awkward as a lot of places have the terminal in an awkward place, and if it's the sort of terminal where the person has to hold it out for you I do not want to put my hand that close to someone in the current climate.

Agreed, however I'm lucky in that the three places I usually go in these times (Centra, Tesco and Aldi) all have terminals closer to the customer than the sales assistant. I think this is one of the upsides to the current situation, with increased contactless payments and perspex screens usage the position of terminals have shifted in the majority of places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Craigels

I find it easier to pay with Apple Watch rather than the phone while out no fussing putting in codes and it just makes things quicker and easier

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Doodah7

iniall wrote: »
    Paying by Watch is great - especially when Face ID is rendered useless by a mask. It's also good if you regularly use more than one card: I have one card as the default on my Watch and another, lesser-used, the default on my phone. Dead handy.

I have three cards stored on my watch and I just scroll to the one I want to use. Very simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 604 ✭✭✭iniall

Doodah7 wrote: »
    I have three cards stored on my watch and I just scroll to the one I want to use. Very simple.

Oh sure, that's an option, obviously. But to just double-click and not have to do anything else and you're just good to go is as simple as it gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,114 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

If you've more than one of the same type of card, it can be difficult to distinguish between them. I've a personal debit card and a joint account debit card, both with AIB, and in Apple Wallet they look exactly the same. If you pull them up there is the 4 digit number, but you have to tap the card to do that, and then remember which number is which card.

The ability to label the cards or customise the look of them would be a great feature. But as it stands, I've taken my personal card off my phone, as I was accidently using it for household purchases (which is what the joint account is for).

• Administrators Posts: 54,169 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

If you've more than one of the same type of card, it can be difficult to distinguish between them. I've a personal debit card and a joint account debit card, both with AIB, and in Apple Wallet they look exactly the same. If you pull them up there is the 4 digit number, but you have to tap the card to do that, and then remember which number is which card.

The ability to label the cards or customise the look of them would be a great feature. But as it stands, I've taken my personal card off my phone, as I was accidently using it for household purchases (which is what the joint account is for).

This is my biggest complaint about the wallet. I don't think Apple realise that people can have more than one card from the same bank.

This is my biggest complaint about the wallet. I don't think Apple realise that people can have more than one card from the same bank.

I've actually submitted the suggestion for customisable cards a couple of times (as I'm sure have many other people). Not that I expect them to listen to me.

But I also submitted a suggestion to be able to rename Bluetooth devices (I had the same type of hands-free device in two cars, and it was driving me nuts that they both had the same name that couldn't be changed). That was a couple of years ago, and it finally became a reality in iOS 14.4. So maybe by 16.3, we'll get be able to customise the cards. :D

Unfortunately Apple will probably not allowed customised images for cards. Part of the reason they got a lot of banks involved in Apple Pay in the first place was the banks branding would be front and centre in the wallet.

I've actually submitted the suggestion for customisable cards a couple of times (as I'm sure have many other people). Not that I expect them to listen to me.

But I also submitted a suggestion to be able to rename Bluetooth devices (I had the same type of hands-free device in two cars, and it was driving me nuts that they both had the same name that couldn't be changed). That was a couple of years ago, and it finally became a reality in iOS 14.4. So maybe by 16.3, we'll get be able to customise the cards. :D

That soon? Do you think?? :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Cards can be customised for safari for Autofill.
    Still can’t scroll though them though which is annoying. Or at least I have not figured it out yet.

• Advertisement

iniall wrote: »
    That soon? Do you think?? :D:D

I'm basing it on the fact that were were on iOS 12 when I put in the Bluetooth renaming suggestion. And yes, I'm taking personal credit for it. :cool:

Unfortunately Apple will probably not allowed customised images for cards. Part of the reason they got a lot of banks involved in Apple Pay in the first place was the banks branding would be front and centre in the wallet.

Yeah, but even the ability to put a text label on some part of the card. I mean, in my physical wallet, I have the two identical AIB debit cards. One of them has "Joint A/C" written on it in black marker. Just to be able to write a word or two in the blank space under the bank's branding would solve the issue.

And it's not just bank cards. I've 3 dreaded One4All cards in my apple wallet from Christmas. I one of them is £50 sterling, which I can't even use here. One is €50 and one is €150. They all look exactly the same. I'm not expecting dynamic balances to show up on them or anything, but the ability to label them would definitely help.

Yeah, but even the ability to put a text label on some part of the card. I mean, in my physical wallet, I have the two identical AIB debit cards. One of them has "Joint A/C" written on it in black marker. Just to be able to write a word or two in the blank space under the bank's branding would solve the issue.

And it's not just bank cards. I've 3 dreaded One4All cards in my apple wallet from Christmas. I one of them is £50 sterling, which I can't even use here. One is €50 and one is €150. They all look exactly the same. I'm not expecting dynamic balances to show up on them or anything, but the ability to label them would definitely help.

Totally agree, a text label will be a much easier solution to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,777 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Just on this, how does this work exactly? Are they still just One4all vouchers that can only be spent in shops that accept them?

Or is it the case that now they are linked to Apple Pay, you can use them online on websites that accept Apple Pay and avoid the €50 online limit including Apple themselves?

Haha I'm exactly the same. "JA" written in sharpie on one card so I know which one I'm using. It's be great to be able to put some sort of identifier on the card image.

Just on this, how does this work exactly? Are they still just One4all vouchers that can only be spent in shops that accept them?

Or is it the case that now they are linked to Apple Pay, you can use them online on websites that accept Apple Pay and avoid the €50 online limit including Apple themselves?

Still have to be used where one4all are accepted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭Gru

I've 3 dreaded One4All cards in my apple wallet from Christmas. I one of them is £50 sterling, which I can't even use here. One is €50 and one is €150. They all look exactly the same. I'm not expecting dynamic balances to show up on them or anything, but the ability to label them would definitely help.

What i did was add them one at a time,

so added one, spent that, when it was gone deleted it and added another, spent that....etc

it's a cumbersome workaround though for something that should be relatively easy to fix.

If they put the 4 card digits at the top middle of the card instead of the bottom left it would be much better than it is now, but a label would be better again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,065 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,173 ✭✭✭shanec1928

None of those apply. Which a few others have said in the comments and on Reddit. Logs sent to Apple so see what they come back with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭pad199207

Anybody having issues with downloading or updating apps?

pad199207 wrote: »

Yeah getting some error about the store being unable to process purchases. Fairly serious one to slip through.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Luke-m

pad199207 wrote: »

Had the same issue. Did a software reset and issue is now resolved.

edit. It seems it was on apple's end after Music, iTunes and App Store are restored. *Reuters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭pad199207

Yeah getting some error about the store being unable to process purchases. Fairly serious one to slip through.

Yeah same as. Only happening the last hour or so.

Luke-m wrote: »
    Had the same issue. Did a software reset and issue is now resolved.

What’s a software reset? A full factory one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Luke-m

What’s a software reset? A full factory one?

No apologies, I meant a force restart.

It should be back working now anyway according to Reuters. The music, iTunes and App Store were down.

Luke-m wrote: »
    No apologies, I meant a force restart.

It should be back working now anyway according to Reuters. The music, iTunes and App Store were down.

Cheers. Just updated what was there no bother there now.

Does the app tracking work with Facebook app.
    I have not got one prompt yet for any app. I find it quite confusing. I simply don’t want any app to track me.

Toggled it on and off. Deleted and installed FB. Still nothing.

Does the app tracking work with Facebook app.
    I have not got one prompt yet for any app. I find it quite confusing. I simply don’t want any app to track me.

Toggled it on and off. Deleted and installed FB. Still nothing.

Cant say why it's showing for Facebook, but to turn it off for _every_ app, go to Settings > Privacy > Tracking. Toggle the switch off. Once you do this Apple doesn't prompt you and tells the app you have "asked not to be tracked"

Yeh not working for me. Found a list on Reddit with apps that ask. Tried multiple times. Turned phone on and off etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

14.6 public beta 2 is out

Anyone else find the mask unlock with watch very unreliable?

Doesn’t work as often as it does work for me.

working fine for me , no issues
    i have an 12 pro and a watch series 6

peteeeed wrote: »
    working fine for me , no issues
    i have an 12 pro and a watch series 7

Where did you get a series 7 didnt think that was going to be released till septemeber or october

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,572 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It's working great for me.
    Have iPhone 11 and Watch Series 4 and it opens up everytime.

It's a pity it doesn't work with Apple pay and other apps though.

Where did you get a series 7 didnt think that was going to be released till septemeber or october

sorry series 6

iOS 14.6 beta 1 hinted at Apple Music HiFi support with Dolby audio references

A curious report earlier today claimed that Apple is working on a HiFi plan for Apple Music. While the report itself doesn’t come with much evidence, 9to5Mac was able to find code in iOS 14.6 that suggests support for HiFi songs coming to Apple Music in the future.

The original report says that Apple is expected to announce HiFi support on Apple Music in the coming weeks, as it also mentions that it will cost the same $9.99 per month as the regular subscription — suggesting that Apple will not charge more for its HiFi plan.

9to5Mac can now confirm that a HiFi plan may indeed be coming to Apple Music. In the first beta build of iOS 14.6, which was released last week to developers, we found new code added to the Music app that specifically mentions “Dolby Atmos,” “Dolby Audio,” and “Lossless.” Despite supporting Apple’s own HiFi audio codec ALAC, the Music app has never offered support for Dolby Atmos or Dolby Audio.

https://9to5mac.com/2021/05/01/ios-14-6-beta-1-hinted-at-apple-music-hifi-support-with-dolby-audio-references/

iOS 14.5.1 released

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,513 ✭✭✭Shred

I updated overnight (11 pro/Watch 6); delighted with being able to unlock without the passcode - we use a shared note for our weekly shopping list and it was a pain in the bum having to put the passcode in multiple times during shopping after grabbing various things.

I also never use my phone for Apple Pay; I’ve three cards to choose from on my watch and simply say “paying by card” to the teller, it’s hassle free. The odd time I’m in a drive through I just swap the watch to my right wrist while queueing; no concerns with fumbling and dropping the phone etc.

So I got the tracking request from Instagram today, still no request from Facebook though.

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    Got one from Facebook this morning, telling me it will help keep Facebook free :rolleyes:

Yea was the same message in Instagram.

The day Facebook isn’t free is the day it’s finished.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I rarely use Facebook so if app tracking is the thing that drives me off it then so be it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭donaghs

Anyone seen iOS 14.5.1 break the native podcast app?

Constantly “updating library”. Can’t see or listen to any podcasts

Edit: deleting app from Home Screen fixed it. Seems to be an issue for others online going back through lots of iOS updates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

donaghs wrote: »
    Anyone seen iOS 14.5.1 break the native podcast app?

Constantly “updating library”. Can’t see or listen to any podcasts

Edit: deleting app from Home Screen fixed it. Seems to be an issue for others online going back through lots of iOS updates.

Had the same issue when I upgraded to 14.5 but not 14.5.1. Appears to be indexing the library and as I’ve about 18GB of podcasts downloaded it took several hours. Didn’t have to go through it again when updating to 14.5.1. Not a fan of the changes to the native podcasts app, but typical reaction to change and I’ll get over it…

Isn't there a redesign of Podcasts coming? Anyone know when?

Edit: apparently it's already here? It barely looks any different, I didn't even notice! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Isn't there a redesign of Podcasts coming? Anyone know when?

Edit: apparently it's already here? It barely looks any different, I didn't even notice! :(

It was part of iOS 14.5 release allright, I don't know how anyone uses the default podcast app. Pocketcasts or Overcast are miles ahead IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I’m finding the podcasts app very buggy with the latest version. Episodes finished still showing 1sec remaining, when starting a show on the phone and casting it to the HomePod it starts the episode from the start instead of picking up the same spot and stuff like that. Little bit annoying so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's awful. I hate how my library is now ordered by the date I subscribed to the podcast rather than which one has had the most recent download. Anyone know if it's possible to change that?

And they still haven't brought back a 'Select All' option which still irks me. The app has been crashing all day for me too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 642 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

I'm also having awful trouble with the Podcasts app since upgrading to 14.5.1 on my iPhone 12.

I've an old iPhone 6 that is subscribed to the exact same Podcasts, and I'd say only about half of these are showing up on my iPhone 12 with the new update. Very frustrating.

Advertisement