Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

Can anyone who used the Dark Sky app on iOS13 tell me if it's still there on your phone after upgrading to iOS14?

Its the one reason I haven't updated yet, as I know the app isnt available anymore.

I only downloaded it after I got iOS 14. It’s Android that it’s not available on any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Elessar wrote: »
    Can anyone who used the Dark Sky app on iOS13 tell me if it's still there on your phone after upgrading to iOS14?

Its the one reason I haven't updated yet, as I know the app isnt available anymore.

It’s only not available for Android, it’s still in the iOS App Store - Apple do own it after all...

https://apps.apple.com/ie/app/dark-sky-weather/id517329357

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

14.2 public beta 2 is out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

It’s only not available for Android, it’s still in the iOS App Store - Apple do own it after all...

https://apps.apple.com/ie/app/dark-sky-weather/id517329357

Ah ok thanks, I was under the impression because Apple bought them it was discontinued

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

It will be eventually, they've already integrated it into iOS 14's weather app for hourly rainfall charts but only in certain locations. I'm pretty sure Apple promised the app would stick around for a year, API access (which some apps use) was being shut off sooner).

Installing 14.2 public beta 2 hasn't fixed my health app taking 1.61TB or constantly taking more than 25-30% battery despite screen on time of < 5 minutes.

Installing watchOS 7 public beta 2 now to see if the missing GPS issue for workouts has been fixed.

Certainly been a buggy iOS 14 and new hardware (series 6) for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Now that google maps does the split screen in car play they can keep it.

I’d be interested to know if it has Eircodes though. Without them it’s pointless.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Apple rolls out all-new Maps across the United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland > https://www.apple.com/uk/newsroom/2020/10/apple-rolls-out-all-new-maps-across-the-united-kingdom-and-republic-of-ireland/

I noticed that map had already been updated in iOS 13 but there was no look around. I tried just now and the icon was there and promptly disappeared.

I saw their mapping car roving about here last summer too.

• Administrators Posts: 54,059 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Now that google maps does the split screen in car play they can keep it.

I’d be interested to know if it has Eircodes though. Without them it’s pointless.

It does? I didn't realise!

Apple Maps were so crap before it is hard to see why I'd bother my arse trying it again.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    It does? I didn't realise!

Apple Maps were so crap before it is hard to see why I'd bother my arse trying it again.

Yeah, it took Google ages to update the app for it after Apple allowed third party apps to do it. Couple of months now I’d say.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Look around is working now in apple maps. Pretty swish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

The quality of the images are so good!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I’ve found Apple maps to be pretty bad with searching for locations too. But the look around feature is really great. So smooth, and a lot more immersive than Google Street View.

I've moved Apple Maps on to my first home screen in place of Google maps, going to give it a month to see if it can replace Google. I don't go to much places hence the long time of trialing Apple Maps. My last tank of petrol was bought on the 4th of September and still half full.

Apple maps wins out for me for their tiles and general look and feel of the app, but their Places of Interest (PoIs) data is woeful. If it can be even half as good as Google on this I'd switch but a cursory look at my local area last night - North Wicklow - it seems to be lacking a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Still doesn't have Eircodes which is disappointing - and the main reason i'll stick with Google Maps.

ugh I still see it's using TripAdvisor and Yelp for PoI's. Both are terrible compared to Google.

It's at least 5 years behind Google.

Also in north Wicklow and the PoIs are non-existent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

The comparison of PoI information between Apple Maps v.s. Google Maps depends on which country you are looking at. But yes clearly on average (including in Ireland) Google Maps is better. In my experience, Apple can have the upper hand in some Asian countries (it definitely does in China but it isn't a fair contest as Google isn't really aiming for that market).

Having said that Apple Maps has improved on that front, is a nicer App to use on iOS, and has better integration with other system Apps and across devices (particularly with the Apple Watch). So it is still my go to App and works fro me most of the time (but I do indeed feel the need to have Google Maps on the phone as a backup).

Bob24 wrote: »
    The comparison of PoI information between Apple Maps v.s. Google Maps depends on which country you are looking at. But yes clearly on average (including in Ireland) Google Maps is better. In my experience, Apple can have the upper hand in some Asian countries.

Of course, but it's not like a lot of us are going to be going to any asian countries anytime soon, I can't even travel 25km to go to the office in Dublin :pac:

• Advertisement

Of course, but it's not like a lot of us are going to be going to any asian countries anytime soon, I can't even travel 25km to go to the office in Dublin :pac:

Sure :-) - just saying PoI database is very much a country-specific discussion and isn't the only factor (to me the perfect Apple Watch integration is a big one: when you are on holiday in a city you don't know it is great to walk around with directions on your wrist - and yes I know, very few of us are going on holiday ATM ;-)).

Bob24 wrote: »
    Sure :-) - just saying PoI database is very much a country-specific discussion and isn't the only factor (to me the perfect Apple Watch integration is big one, when you are on holiday in a city you don't know it is great to walk around with directions on your wrist - and yes I know, very few are going on holiday ATM ;-)).

yup the Apple Watch maps stuff is cool, stops you looking like a complete tourist with head buried in the phone.

I guess my problem with this stuff is Apple make a huge song and dance about this as if it's best in class, but it's not even close. I support 2nd place in a two horse race is still silver medal territory :D

I guess my problem with this stuff is Apple make a huge song and dance about this as if it's best in class, but it's not even close.

Yeah, you would think they have all the resources they'd need to either make significant improvements in-house, or licence better data from from various mapping companies (which is what they don't in China with great results).

Also I find that they are not always very responsive to process user submissions for incorrect or missing information. This was fixed a while ago, but as an example I remember the infamous Airfield Park in Dublin which was incorrectly showing as an airport for ages after Apple Maps launched in spite of many people using the in-app tool to mark this as a mistake (back then, even the government said they had notified Apple but this didn't lead to any quick fix either). More anecdotical, there has always been a slight issue when searching for my home address which I reported a few times and it was never fixed.

I wonder does it still expect locations to be saved as an address, rather than an actual location. This used to be so irritating because it's such a rubbish system.

Nope, still garbage.

Search for work in maps, it’s found.
    Add to contact as work address.
    Go to contact, click on saved address, maps can’t find it.

Exact same for my home address.

It is amazing how Apple continue to get such basic scenarios wrong. Maps will never go anywhere until this works.

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Still doesn't have Eircodes which is disappointing - and the main reason i'll stick with Google Maps.

Yeah only seems to search for a general area based off the first 3 characters of it. Waste of time.

awec wrote: »
    Nope, still garbage.

Search for work in maps, it’s found.
    Add to contact as work address.
    Go to contact, click on saved address, maps can’t find it.

Exact same for my home address.

It is amazing how Apple continue to get such basic scenarios wrong. Maps will never go anywhere until this works.

Oddly I have similar however it finds my house perfectly find built 2 years ago. Work building that’s been there the guts of 20 years in a prominent location it finds it but doesn’t show up as a location. It’s these basics that make it truly awful.

Oddly I have similar however it finds my house perfectly find built 2 years ago. Work building that’s been there the guts of 20 years in a prominent location it finds it but doesn’t show up as a location. It’s these basics that make it truly awful.

There’s definitely an element of the Cupertino bubble with these products. I wonder how many of the people with any sort of influence on the Maps team live outside the Bay Area.

This really is the most basic of things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Dim Backlight is still an issue for me on 14.01...kinda annoying!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

I can't connect to my Sonos, or my Philips Hue since the upgrade. Local Network Access is enabled for both... Quite frustrating...

Problem found :- my Sky Q box of all things wired into the same network switch!

Advertisement