Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I am totally bemused by the whole update, I've been playing about with for the last few hours and have found absolutely nothing that made me think 'oh that's cool' or 'I like that' Most of the changes are completely pointless and don't add any benefits, for example the 'app library' What the hell is that all about??? I have to swipe left 3 times to get to it, everything in it is already on the previous screens so what's the point???? If I could add folders with a similar view on my first screen then that would be good but theyre not movable folders so its pretty pointless unless I'm missing something.

So far all I can say is that I've lost valuable memory for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I am totally bemused by the whole update, I've been playing about with for the last few hours and have found absolutely nothing that made me think 'oh that's cool' or 'I like that' Most of the changes are completely pointless and don't add any benefits, for example the 'app library' What the hell is that all about??? I have to swipe left 3 times to get to it, everything in it is already on the previous screens so what's the point???? If I could add folders with a similar view on my first screen then that would be good but theyre not movable folders so its pretty pointless unless I'm missing something.

The point here now is that you can hide apps from your previous screens and even hide entire screens but everything is in the app library.

What they've given here is tools for customisation, if you don't customise it yourself of course it looks like nothing has changed.

I haven't changed my home screens yet - either by hiding screens/app or adding widgets - mainly because of two things: 1. I'm a creature of habit, I've had an iPhone since the first one 12 years ago, a grid of icons is ingrained in my brain. 2. Many 3rd party's haven't come out with compelling widgets. This will come in time.

You haven't lost valuable memory here as it will take the place of the same memory that iOS 13 did, sure it may be a couple hundred Mb here or there but ultimately no one forced you to update.

• Administrators Posts: 54,059 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The App Library is because the each widget can take the space of up to 16 apps on the screen, and if you had to keep every single app on the home screen then you wouldn't be able to use widgets without having a stupid number of screens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Yeah I like the idea of the Apps library as to clear up the Home Screen (being honest, I’d say very few of us can see they are manually keeping their Home Screen need and tidy).

But one reason I won’t be using it for now is that it is iPhone only and the iPad doesn’t have it, and call me annoying but I like consistency across devices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Possibly a stupid question here but have you removed some apps from your home screens or do you actually need 3 pages of apps?

For me the app library is the best thing they've brought to iOS in years. I always loved androids app drawer and this is basically a neater, smarter version of that. I now have my home screen with my most used apps and then another screen with some lesser used ones. Everything else is in the app library and I love it that way. I can use spotlight to go straight to an app I want, e.g. JustEat - I don't use it that often and I'd have no idea where to find it in the app library, swipe down, type j and there it is. I've a load of apps that I might only use a couple of times a year if even that so its handy to know I still have them without them clogging up my main screens or in huge messy folders.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Struggling to post a photo on Instgram. Took one for work this morning and it's not showing up in Library. If I go into Photos, select the Instagram logo/icon, then nothing happens. Unresponsive with 'share with app' too. I backed up to iCloud and restarted the phone.

Struggling to post a photo on Instgram. Took one for work this morning and it's not showing up in Library. If I go into Photos, select the Instagram logo/icon, then nothing happens. Unresponsive with 'share with app' too. I backed up to iCloud and restarted the phone.

double check if Instagram has the correct photo permissions, it changed going from iOS 13 - iOS 14.

Permissions for photos can now be, never, only selected photos, all access.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,493 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Phew, thanks. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Yakult wrote: »
    Anyone noticing screen brightness issues since update? iPhone 11.

Screen will be set to full brightness, but then it appears very dim until screen locked/unlocked and returns to selected setting.

Still having this issue on an XS with 14.0.1...is it still a thing for everyone?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭emergingstar

I'm having issues with the reminders in ios14

I have daily reminders set for certain times, but everyday it resets to daily

Is anyone else having this issue, any known fix's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭ablelocks

For me the app library is the best thing they've brought to iOS in years. I always loved androids app drawer and this is basically a neater, smarter version of that. I now have my home screen with my most used apps and then another screen with some lesser used ones. Everything else is in the app library and I love it that way. I can use spotlight to go straight to an app I want, e.g. JustEat - I don't use it that often and I'd have no idea where to find it in the app library, swipe down, type j and there it is. I've a load of apps that I might only use a couple of times a year if even that so its handy to know I still have them without them clogging up my main screens or in huge messy folders.

I've had my phone set up with a version of the library for years- 1 home screen, with folders for apps, each called a different action - like buy / read / watch / listen / browse / photo / play etc.

the app library from apple is worse than what i had - maybe I'm missing something, but you can't edit the name of each category, you can't switch apps between categories and some of the apps they've assigned to the category make no sense - for eg, for me, translate would be a utility, but they've included it in information & reading, edge / safari / chrome are classed as utilities, watch is a utility, instead of being in the health & fitness and my smart home apps have been assigned into multiple categories?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

ablelocks wrote: »
    I've had my phone set up with a version of the library for years- 1 home screen, with folders for apps, each called a different action - like buy / read / watch / listen / browse / photo / play etc.

the app library from apple is worse than what i had - maybe I'm missing something, but you can't edit the name of each category, you can't switch apps between categories and some of the apps they've assigned to the category make no sense - for eg, for me, translate would be a utility, but they've included it in information & reading, edge / safari / chrome are classed as utilities, watch is a utility, instead of being in the health & fitness and my smart home apps have been assigned into multiple categories?

The library might just not be for you.

It is for users who don’t have the discipline (or the desire) of manually maintaining a tidy folder structure for all their Apps (which you seem to be doing). The point of the library is to try to remove clutter by doing that organisation work automatically for the user. Of course since it is automated, a trade-off is that it doesn’t necessarily match the personal way on which each person would like their Apps classified.

So at the end of the day Apple is giving you a choice: keep your personal folder structure if this is what you prefer, or use the Apps library of you are feeling lazy and are ok to let the phone make the decisions for you.

As far as I am concerned, I do have a similar action-based folder structure as yours. But if I am being honest, I don’t always keep it up to date as I download new Apps, and over time I tend to build a few additional pages of home screens of apps which are not in folders and a bit messy. So I think I’d be pretty ok to switch to the App Library (with just one page of my home home screen including a widget or 2 and icons cor my most used App. What is holding me back though is that I want consistency and the iPad doesn’t have an App Library feature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Hi all, since iOS 14 I’ve noticed when sending an email from my iCloud account it is sending it from the “@me.com” address even though I’m selecting “@icloud,com”. Is this happening to anyone else and how do I fix it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭shanec1928

No sign of it appearing yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

shanec1928 wrote: »
    No sign of it appearing yet

It's been pulled it seems.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

14.2 beta 3 is out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

You may have already spotted this, but I just discovered that iOS 14 allows you do do something I’ve been spamming Apple’s feature request form with for years.

You can now rename Bluetooth devices!

Apple previously had a knowledge base article claiming you could do it on previous iOS versions, but the reality was that it was only a very, very limited number of devices that supported it.

Now you can rename any Bluetooth device - you just have to be connected to it to do so, and the rename is only valid for the iOS device you’re doing it in (other devices will see it as the default name unless you rename it on them too). This is to be expected (and how it works on Mac OS and Android too).

But this is a godsend for people like me who have multiple versions of the same BT device.

Go to Settings > Bluetooth, make sure you’re connected to your device, hit the blue (i), hit the name, and rename it to something sensible.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Since around the time I updated to iOS 14 I noticed that when I long press on a Whatsapp message on the lock screen/notification centre it no longer shows me the full message. It shows more of message but not all of it as it used to and i have to tap and go into the app to see it all. It's quite confusing as i sometimes think a message is shorter than it actually is. I am not sure if other apps are the same.

Anyone else notice this?

Does anyone else’s default browser keep changing back to safari?

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Does anyone else’s default browser keep changing back to safari?

Do you have the absolute latest? There was an issue with 14.0 that reverted to safari when your phone rebooted.

Do you have the absolute latest? There was an issue with 14.0 that reverted to safari when your phone rebooted.

I’m on 14.0.1.

awec wrote: »
    I’m on 14.0.1.

Ahh ok, not that so it was patched in 14.0.1

https://www.imore.com/apple-fixes-ios-14-bug-reset-default-browser-mail-choices

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭D13exile

I’ve been playing a game called Left to Survive for years now but after updating to the latest software last night, my iPad has reset the game to the start and all progress has been lost. I went into Game centre and the game isn’t even listed there. I’ve signed out and back in to game centre but no luck. I’ve restarted the iPad but again, no luck.

I know it’s not the end of the world but is there anyway to restore the game progress?

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭grayzer75

Having to tap a folder multiple times to get it to open - it's a pain in the hole....

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Metalpanic

grayzer75 wrote: »
    Having to tap a folder multiple times to get it to open - it's a pain in the hole....

In the App Library? You only need to tap it once, where the app icons are smallest, bottom right. That pops open the full folder contents.

Metalpanic wrote: »
    In the App Library? You only need to tap it once, where the app icons are smallest, bottom right. That pops open the full folder contents.

Not in app library - I have my main screen set up as I always had and have a folder with some apps in it which I have to tap numerous times to get into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Metalpanic

grayzer75 wrote: »
    Not in app library - I have my main screen set up as I always had and have a folder with some apps in it which I have to tap numerous times to get into it.

I just made one now on my home screen and it opens with one tap. That's very odd. Is it a screen issue? As unlikely as that could be.

Metalpanic wrote: »
    I just made one now on my home screen and it opens with one tap. That's very odd. Is it a screen issue? As unlikely as that could be.

Everything else taps okay, the issue seems to be with that folder for some unknown reason. I'm currently using an XR and it's the only issue I've had with 14.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

14.1 released

Advertisement