Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 14

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

The watch unlock has been flawless for me since last week when the RC dropped.

Love it.

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It has definitely improved, I switched to it last night, It's actually quite neutral. I might end up switching back just because I used the British voice for so long but I could see myself actually using the Irish ones now that they've lost the OIrish-ness.

Personal requests on HomePod don't work with the language set to English (Irish) which is a bummer but I'd say a software update (when HomePod is officially released here) will fix that. At least Siri language and voice are independent of each other.

Tried it again, it has improved massively. Sounds good now.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭dmn22

Ya-Boy-Ya wrote: »
    Since the IOS 14.5 update yesterday.... anyone having problems getting the unlock feature to work ??
    Doesnt for me have done all the settings correctly but still nout

Did you update your watch? Has to be done separately

• Registered Users Posts: 9,028 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Tried the watch/mask unlock here in the house, and it was flawless. So glad to have it, the fumbling with the passcode at the checkout was getting to me.

On a separate note, I updated my Apple TVs to tvOS 14.5 last night. With the new Siri support, there's a great feature where you're watching something and you hold the mic button and say "What did he say?", and it automatically rewinds 15 seconds and plays that bit back with subtitles, then turns them off. My wife is constantly zoning out when watching stuff, and is always asking me what people said because she's not paying attention. I told he about the new feature, and she was like "I don't do that!". Sure enough 5 minutes into watching Community, she's asking what someone said, and I'm using the Siri feature. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Tried the watch/mask unlock here in the house, and it was flawless. So glad to have it, the fumbling with the passcode at the checkout was getting to me.

Small caveat on this; I've heard - via twitter so don't know how true it is - that the face unlock with mask only works for unlocking the device, it doesn't work with Apple Pay authentication.

Kinda sucks but I understand why and some amount of unlock with a mask is better than none. Also just remembered, using Apple Pay with the Apple Watch still exists and doesn't require unlock (as long as it's on your wrist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭iniall

Small caveat on this; I've heard - via twitter so don't know how true it is - that the face unlock with mask only works for unlocking the device, it doesn't work with Apple Pay authentication.

Kinda sucks but I understand why and some amount of unlock with a mask is better than none. Also just remembered, using Apple Pay with the Apple Watch still exists and doesn't require unlock (as long as it's on your wrist.

Yeah doesn't work for Apple Pay - you still have to input your code to allow payments. But great to finally be able to unlock with mask, it's been so long coming...

Ah, I didn't realise that it didn't unlock for ApplePay. Still, phone unlocking will be handy.

For some reason I can't bring myself to use my watch for ApplePay, and I've no rational explanation for that. Maybe I'll force myself to use it. I think it's to do with having to explain to the teller that I'll be using my watch to pay, whereas when they see you take out a card or your phone, they instantly know what you're doing and get the machine ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Yes first thing I tried last night and face unlock is now great again!

On Apple Pay, I would say for every 1000 transactions I use Apple Pay for, I use my watch for 999 of them so nothing will change in my use case.

Paying by Watch is great - especially when Face ID is rendered useless by a mask. It's also good if you regularly use more than one card: I have one card as the default on my Watch and another, lesser-used, the default on my phone. Dead handy.

I find paying by Watch a bit awkward as a lot of places have the terminal in an awkward place, and if it's the sort of terminal where the person has to hold it out for you I do not want to put my hand that close to someone in the current climate.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    I find paying by Watch a bit awkward as a lot of places have the terminal in an awkward place, and if it's the sort of terminal where the person has to hold it out for you I do not want to put my hand that close to someone in the current climate.

Agreed, however I'm lucky in that the three places I usually go in these times (Centra, Tesco and Aldi) all have terminals closer to the customer than the sales assistant. I think this is one of the upsides to the current situation, with increased contactless payments and perspex screens usage the position of terminals have shifted in the majority of places.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Craigels

I find it easier to pay with Apple Watch rather than the phone while out no fussing putting in codes and it just makes things quicker and easier

iniall wrote: »
    Paying by Watch is great - especially when Face ID is rendered useless by a mask. It's also good if you regularly use more than one card: I have one card as the default on my Watch and another, lesser-used, the default on my phone. Dead handy.

I have three cards stored on my watch and I just scroll to the one I want to use. Very simple.

Doodah7 wrote: »
    I have three cards stored on my watch and I just scroll to the one I want to use. Very simple.

Oh sure, that's an option, obviously. But to just double-click and not have to do anything else and you're just good to go is as simple as it gets.

If you've more than one of the same type of card, it can be difficult to distinguish between them. I've a personal debit card and a joint account debit card, both with AIB, and in Apple Wallet they look exactly the same. If you pull them up there is the 4 digit number, but you have to tap the card to do that, and then remember which number is which card.

The ability to label the cards or customise the look of them would be a great feature. But as it stands, I've taken my personal card off my phone, as I was accidently using it for household purchases (which is what the joint account is for).

If you've more than one of the same type of card, it can be difficult to distinguish between them. I've a personal debit card and a joint account debit card, both with AIB, and in Apple Wallet they look exactly the same. If you pull them up there is the 4 digit number, but you have to tap the card to do that, and then remember which number is which card.

The ability to label the cards or customise the look of them would be a great feature. But as it stands, I've taken my personal card off my phone, as I was accidently using it for household purchases (which is what the joint account is for).

This is my biggest complaint about the wallet. I don't think Apple realise that people can have more than one card from the same bank.

awec wrote: »
    This is my biggest complaint about the wallet. I don't think Apple realise that people can have more than one card from the same bank.

I've actually submitted the suggestion for customisable cards a couple of times (as I'm sure have many other people). Not that I expect them to listen to me.

But I also submitted a suggestion to be able to rename Bluetooth devices (I had the same type of hands-free device in two cars, and it was driving me nuts that they both had the same name that couldn't be changed). That was a couple of years ago, and it finally became a reality in iOS 14.4. So maybe by 16.3, we'll get be able to customise the cards. :D

Unfortunately Apple will probably not allowed customised images for cards. Part of the reason they got a lot of banks involved in Apple Pay in the first place was the banks branding would be front and centre in the wallet.

I've actually submitted the suggestion for customisable cards a couple of times (as I'm sure have many other people). Not that I expect them to listen to me.

But I also submitted a suggestion to be able to rename Bluetooth devices (I had the same type of hands-free device in two cars, and it was driving me nuts that they both had the same name that couldn't be changed). That was a couple of years ago, and it finally became a reality in iOS 14.4. So maybe by 16.3, we'll get be able to customise the cards. :D

That soon? Do you think?? :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Cards can be customised for safari for Autofill.
    Still can’t scroll though them though which is annoying. Or at least I have not figured it out yet.

• Advertisement

iniall wrote: »
    That soon? Do you think?? :D:D

I'm basing it on the fact that were were on iOS 12 when I put in the Bluetooth renaming suggestion. And yes, I'm taking personal credit for it. :cool:

Unfortunately Apple will probably not allowed customised images for cards. Part of the reason they got a lot of banks involved in Apple Pay in the first place was the banks branding would be front and centre in the wallet.

Yeah, but even the ability to put a text label on some part of the card. I mean, in my physical wallet, I have the two identical AIB debit cards. One of them has "Joint A/C" written on it in black marker. Just to be able to write a word or two in the blank space under the bank's branding would solve the issue.

And it's not just bank cards. I've 3 dreaded One4All cards in my apple wallet from Christmas. I one of them is £50 sterling, which I can't even use here. One is €50 and one is €150. They all look exactly the same. I'm not expecting dynamic balances to show up on them or anything, but the ability to label them would definitely help.

Yeah, but even the ability to put a text label on some part of the card. I mean, in my physical wallet, I have the two identical AIB debit cards. One of them has "Joint A/C" written on it in black marker. Just to be able to write a word or two in the blank space under the bank's branding would solve the issue.

And it's not just bank cards. I've 3 dreaded One4All cards in my apple wallet from Christmas. I one of them is £50 sterling, which I can't even use here. One is €50 and one is €150. They all look exactly the same. I'm not expecting dynamic balances to show up on them or anything, but the ability to label them would definitely help.

Totally agree, a text label will be a much easier solution to do.

Just on this, how does this work exactly? Are they still just One4all vouchers that can only be spent in shops that accept them?

Or is it the case that now they are linked to Apple Pay, you can use them online on websites that accept Apple Pay and avoid the €50 online limit including Apple themselves?

Haha I'm exactly the same. "JA" written in sharpie on one card so I know which one I'm using. It's be great to be able to put some sort of identifier on the card image.

Just on this, how does this work exactly? Are they still just One4all vouchers that can only be spent in shops that accept them?

Or is it the case that now they are linked to Apple Pay, you can use them online on websites that accept Apple Pay and avoid the €50 online limit including Apple themselves?

Still have to be used where one4all are accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Gru

I've 3 dreaded One4All cards in my apple wallet from Christmas. I one of them is £50 sterling, which I can't even use here. One is €50 and one is €150. They all look exactly the same. I'm not expecting dynamic balances to show up on them or anything, but the ability to label them would definitely help.

What i did was add them one at a time,

so added one, spent that, when it was gone deleted it and added another, spent that....etc

it's a cumbersome workaround though for something that should be relatively easy to fix.

If they put the 4 card digits at the top middle of the card instead of the bottom left it would be much better than it is now, but a label would be better again.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,148 ✭✭✭shanec1928

None of those apply. Which a few others have said in the comments and on Reddit. Logs sent to Apple so see what they come back with.

Advertisement