Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 14

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Does Do Not Disturb mode only knock off calls and texts? Is there a way it can disable social media notifications and email (Gmail)?

• Administrators Posts: 53,845 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Does Do Not Disturb mode only knock off calls and texts? Is there a way it can disable social media notifications and email (Gmail)?

It stops everything. I use it at night.

You can set it to allow calls from your favourite contacts to come through, and you can also set it where anyone who phones you twice in a few minutes will get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,698 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Apple better start putting some work into the Podcast app itself now that they will be charging podcast creators to use the service.

The app seems to get worse with every fresh design or update.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

I scrapped the podcasts app and went with Overcast. I must say, it’s far superior. Airplay compatible for Homepods, WatchOS app with offline play available, etc. Found a nice trick to the Joe Rogan podcast on there too so I’m sorted. Apple Podcasts app is all over the place.

It’s mad how bad it is as a podcast app is very straightforward.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

The podcast app has been grand for me up until this point. I listen to only a handful and it done what it was supposed to. But now it’s just so buggy with the latest revamp.

I think if you’re a heavy podcast listener it makes sense to use a third-party, but the default had been fine for me. Hopefully apple fix the bugs, they mostly seem to be related to playback position and syncing across devices.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

awec wrote: »
    It stops everything. I use it at night.

You can set it to allow calls from your favourite contacts to come through, and you can also set it where anyone who phones you twice in a few minutes will get through.

I have it automated for night time. I put it on manually if I'm driving and using Google Maps, but emails, etc, still come through.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,004 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It’s mad how bad it is as a podcast app is very straightforward.

The podcast app is the only app on iOS that I’ve deleted and never put back on. The first app I bought on the App Store was a podcast app called downcast and it was the best purchase I’ve made. As you say a podcast app should be straightforward and this works. The apple podcast app from whenever they first change it never worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I have it automated for night time. I put it on manually if I'm driving and using Google Maps, but emails, etc, still come through.

There’s a setting to silence always or only when the phone is locked. If you have it set to “only when unlocked” and you’re actively using Maps on the phone the notifications will still come through.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

14.6 public beta 3 is out

• Advertisement

I started using Overcasts yesterday for podcasts.

Subscribed to a podcast, it downloaded an episode. I listened to it. It hasn't downloaded the next episode, but the settings are set to Download.

What am I missing?

Subscribed to a podcast, it downloaded an episode. I listened to it. It hasn't downloaded the next episode, but the settings are set to Download.

What am I missing?

In settings there's a downloading setting, is that ticked to Wifi and Cellular? *Sorry I'm assuming you're not on wifi?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

What am I missing?

Afaik it only downloads new episodes, i.e. episodes posted after you set it to download.

i use pocketcasts , easy to set up and use

peteeeed wrote: »

Yeah I started using that as I always did on android and it was just natural to use it again. I think it’s just whichever one a person gets used to as I find any other one I try out just awkward. I’m sure someone using overcast for years would find pocketcasts unintuitive also.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭drogon.

peteeeed wrote: »

Used to use Apple's Podcast app till last year. When pocketcast became free, moved to it and never looked back. I think Apple's podcast app is alright, until you start using something better and realise how poor it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭sportsfan90

Thanks to those who recommended Pocketcasts, I downloaded it last night and already it seems to be better than Apple's version after the latest updates.

Same, downloaded pocketcasts and it seems better.

I still wish there was a podcast app that understood that not everyone listens to podcasts as they come out. Even if I'm listening to a 3 year old podcast series I still want it to download the next episode as I finish each.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Same, downloaded pocketcasts and it seems better.

I still wish there was a podcast app that understood that not everyone listens to podcasts as they come out. Even if I'm listening to a 3 year old podcast series I still want it to download the next episode as I finish each.

Out of curiosity, why do you not just stream them as you need it, assume you're away from network coverage or something? I haven't pre-downloaded a podcast in years and just queue them in pocket casts when I want to listen to a series.

Update on pockecasts, the CarPlay integration doesn't work right. It doesn't integrate with the "now playing" screen, so when you click on an episode to listen in the app you don't get taken to the screen that has the play / pause button and you can't see how much progress you've made.

Back to the official app I go. :D

• Advertisement

OSI wrote: »
    I don't know about Awec, but when I was commuting the reception was never consistent enough to rely on streaming, more recently I rely on the apps to download the podcasts to my watch so I can go for a run without my phone.

Same, also I've a 256gb phone and podcasts are my main source of audio content So I don't mind giving them some space.

The Release Candidate version of iOS 14.6 is now available

14.7 public beta 1 is out

Why didn’t 14.6 ever land officially?

Why didn’t 14.6 ever land officially?

Next Monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

All the juicy updates are out now. iOS, iPad OS, tvOS & HomePod 14.6, watchOS 7.5 and Big Sur 11.4.

The release notes for 14.6 says it was bringing the Podcasts+ functionality but I don't see any difference in my podcasts app.

watch out for 14.7 beta 2
    iPhone users reporting ‘SIM Failure’ error after updating to iOS 14.7 beta 2
    https://9to5mac.com/2021/06/02/psa-iphone-users-reporting-sim-failure-error-after-updating-to-ios-14-7-beta-2/

14.7 beta 3 is out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Leinster90

How do I make it so that a podcast keeps playing when I open the facebook app?

Also, I am an Irish Times subscriber and I have the app. Is there any way to make it so that when I click a story from the IT on facebook, it opens in the app? It always seems ro open in browser and even then, there is no option to open it in the app. It’s frustrating for subscriber-only articles that need to be opened in the app.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

Advertisement