Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 14

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

You know that 1 person in 1000 that it'd mess up on, eeloe? That'd be me :pac: I'll take my penance and struggle on :D

Oh no, did it happen?

I usually get so excited with the betas that I never make a current back up and just go in blind, never had to revert tho until this beta.

Glad to now know there’s a way to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

eeloe wrote: »
    Oh no, did it happen?

I usually get so excited with the betas that I never make a current back up and just go in blind, never had to revert tho until this beta.

Glad to now know there’s a way to do it.

No, no! I haven’t tried! But I know I’d be the one it failed for :pac: I have no backup either as I always go blind too! Blissfully ignorant and I work in IT security so it goes against everything I believe :D

On another note, one the App Library is showing me is I have WAAAAY too many apps on my phone, since I have hidden that last page I have noticed I use very few apps that were in those folders. And since they’ve been out of sight and out of mind, I spend less time on my phone. It’s great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,650 ✭✭✭quokula

This was stable up to the most recent update, but my phone is barely usable now. Stutters, freezes, crashes, regardless of what app I’m using, it feels like I’ve gone back to Android.

Hopefully there’s an update soon or I’ll need to roll back. I get the beta every year and this is the first time I’ve had any real issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Mine seems to have stabilised a bit which is weird because theres been no updates as far as I know. First time i've had significant issues with a public beta. I too went in blind although i did an icloud backup, i'm not bothered enough to go back now, I haven't checked the road map but I would assume there'll be an update in the next week or two or before end of August at least.

I'm also in IT (albeit not IT sec) and its mad the recklessness I have about my own devices compared to work :o

Based on the bi-weekly releases, I would say we'll get PB5 this week at some stage.

As for back-up, I have an iCloud backup, I'm not that bad :) but if you want to restore an iOS 13 backup you need an offline backup (I think) as once you update to iOS 14 and it does and iCloud backup, it changes it and you can't load an iOS 14 iCloud backup to an iOS 13 install, which makes sense, I guess. BUT I could be wrong :pac:

• Advertisement

Dev 5 is out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Public beta 5 is out. Rejoice rejoice.

I hope the mail bug is fixed.

I hope Siri works again, even just for voice dialing.

So it’s seems all the bugs I had have been ironed out in this release. Just one left to test.. the phone not sending the audio of a call to my AirPods Pro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,252 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

So it’s seems all the bugs I had have been ironed out in this release. Just one left to test.. the phone not sending the audio of a call to my AirPods Pro.

I had similar. Just Forgot tge Airpods and then reconnected them and it was grand.

• Advertisement

Sonics2k wrote: »
    I had similar. Just Forgot tge Airpods and then reconnected them and it was grand.

I tried that too but it didn't work... This update seems to have resolved it, I get a little drop-down asking if I'd like the call to be connected to the phone, speaker or AirPods now.

Mine is still a bit of a mess. The only main handset one is that the first icon in most of the folders in the App Library don’t work, but CarPlay is basically still useless. I need it so much for work that I may have to go back to 13.

Working OK for me so far, no repeat of the previous bugs I encountered anyway.

Quick question, whats the story with the green/yellow light coming on when you are in the camera/on a phone call? Its an IOS 14 thing I presume? Recall all the Android phones used to have a similar light for notifications but this seems to be to just let you know your camera/mic is turned on? Seems to be the same as the light on my Macbook Pro when the Webcam is on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Working OK for me so far, no repeat of the previous bugs I encountered anyway.

Quick question, whats the story with the green/yellow light coming on when you are in the camera/on a phone call? Its an IOS 14 thing I presume? Recall all the Android phones used to have a similar light for notifications but this seems to be to just let you know your camera/mic is turned on? Seems to be the same as the light on my Macbook Pro when the Webcam is on.

It’s exactly for that reason. It’s to let you know when the front facing camera and microphone are being used. You’ll know apps are being dodgy when they come on and your not explicitly using the camera/microphone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,301 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I like what I've seen of iOS14(not used it) and for those who have used it, have they fixed the horrible autocorrect carry on that's happened on iOS 13 ?

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    I like what I've seen of iOS14(not used it) and for those who have used it, have they fixed the horrible autocorrect carry on that's happened on iOS 13 ?

Honestly I just switched to Swiftkey. GBoard works great on Android, but not great on iOS.

Swiftkey takes a little time, but compared to the Apple keyboard it's much better. Well worth the purchase.

Sonics2k wrote: »
    Honestly I just switched to Swiftkey. GBoard works great on Android, but not great on iOS.

Swiftkey takes a little time, but compared to the Apple keyboard it's much better. Well worth the purchase.

I dunno I think the Apple swipe keyboard is pretty good. I dunno, I don’t trust the other ones..

I dunno I think the Apple swipe keyboard is pretty good. I dunno, I don’t trust the other ones..

I mean, it's owned by Microsoft and has millions of downloads. It was so popular it's one of the reasons Apple gave in and allowed 3rd party keyboards on iOS.

It also wouldn't be on the App Store if it was dangerous.
    Mr.S wrote: »
    What's the issue with Gboard not working well on iOS? I use it and love the built in searches for Google Maps / YouTube etc.

I find the auto-correct / spelling suggestions awful on the stock keyboard.

Oh I loved it too, but on iOS 13 (and 14 now) it's constantly bugging out when typing, switching off and closing. Tried re-installing it but kept happening so just jumped back to Swiftkey.

I'm going to give gboard a try myself again since the iOS one started capitalising random words on me. I remember trying it when I first got the phone and didn't like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

I've being using Gboard since I got my 11 a few weeks ago and haven't noticed any serious issues. In saying that I still prefer the Samsung Keyboard on my S7 by a mile.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Dev Beta 6 is out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

public beta 6 is out too
    the spatial audio for air pod pros and other supported devices toggle is on this release

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭world class wreckin’ cru

Does the COVID app work on the latest beta?

Does the COVID app work on the latest beta?

It does (it has since beta 4) but I had to go in and set the region again after this update.

Looks like the Wi-Fi bug has been fixed too.

I really hope I can search destinations on carplay again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,225 ✭✭✭digiman

peteeeed wrote: »
    public beta 6 is out too
    the spatial audio for air pod pros and other supported devices toggle is on this release
    What apps are supporting spatial audio?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

digiman wrote: »
    What apps are supporting spatial audio?

Tidal has 360 reality audio but you would have to think apple music will have it too as it's apple that are pushing this for the air pod pros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Anyone having any weird brightness issues on iOS14?

• Advertisement

Anyone having any weird brightness issues on iOS14?

Had it intermittently yeah where the screen goes very dark, have to move it around a bit for it to correct itself. Haven't noticed it recently though.

Advertisement