Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iOS 14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭Leftwaffe

Will iPadOS 14 also be out tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Will iPadOS 14 also be out tomorrow?

Yes along with tvOS and watchOS.

macOS Big Sur to follow in October, probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

FourFourFM wrote: »

Yeah, Apple seems to be splitting macOS from the release of iOS the last few years. It usually follows a few weeks later. Most likely in October, I’d reckon the next event will focus on the iPhone and new Apple Silicon MacBooks. A perfect time to release Big Sur.

DubDJ wrote: »
    Yeah, Apple seems to be splitting macOS from the release of iOS the last few years. It usually follows a few weeks later. Most likely in October, I’d reckon the next event will focus on the iPhone and new Apple Silicon MacBooks. A perfect time to release Big Sur.

Which is a great thing. I worked in support for Apple from iOS 8 up until this summer and some of those releases were an absolute nightmare, especially when they all came at once. The introduction of public beta testing and splitting the releases made my life a lot easier.

Great thanks

• Advertisement

Cheers all.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭drogon.

For those that have been running iOS14 and iPadOS 14, do you think it is stable enough to load on to the main phone or iPad tomorrow ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭shanec1928

drogon. wrote: »
    For those that have been running iOS14 and iPadOS 14, do you think it is stable enough to load on to the main phone or iPad tomorrow ?
    yes generally the GM is the final build nothings going to change between now and tomorrow.

shanec1928 wrote: »
    yes generally the GM is the final build nothings going to change between now and tomorrow.

Yep. But just wanted to know if it has been stable so far. Typically GM is released and then it goes public a week later. They have had issues with GM in the past if I recall and had to be released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭shanec1928

drogon. wrote: »
    Yep. But just wanted to know if it has been stable so far. Typically GM is released and then it goes public a week later. They have had issues with GM in the past if I recall and had to be released.

Been stable for the last 3 or so versions at least.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,301 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Aren’t the public releases around the evening time our time ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Aren’t the public releases around the evening time our time ?

usually 6pm our time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,301 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

usually 6pm our time.

Cheers. I knew it was around that time but wasn’t sure. I think I’ll wait for a while after 6pm because I’d say people will be all trying to install it at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭turfthrower

I was on the public beta and checked for an update this morning - it said it was ready to go so I installed it and then deleted the public beta profile.

Running perfectly on iOS14 now on my iPhone

Still nothing in iPad yet, probably this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Still nothing in iPad yet, probably this evening.

It's usually around 6pm. So all of US is awake then so servers get battered.

Don't understand why they don't do it earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

murpho999 wrote: »
    It's usually around 6pm. So all of US is awake then so servers get battered.

Don't understand why they don't do it earlier.

Have often thought that Murph. Balance the load over the time zones. Makes far more sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,070 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Have often thought that Murph. Balance the load over the time zones. Makes far more sense.

Apple don't just serve everything direct from US servers. Their own servers are involved, but they have a complex Meta Delivery Network (CDN) that utilises 3 commercial CDN companies combined (Akamai, Limelight and Level3) with servers in North America, Europe and the Far East serving to local customers.

Here's an analysis of it from 2018:

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1810.02978.pdf

Apple own a chunk of Akamai, and they used to be the main CDN for them, but they diversified as downloads became more important. Apple do have their own data centres in the US, and I think at least one in China (like the one that was going to be built in Athenry, but was scrapped), but they'd still have to rely on a CDN (or CDNs) to support the global bandwidth they require.

So the US being awake shouldn't impact us in Europe getting our updates - it's Europeans being awake that affects us.

I always imagined it was to ensure all the main stakeholders would be awake and in the office in case of any issues. Eg corrupted iOS downloads causing user devices to be bricked. Having the decision makers awake and alert is probably the reason they don’t push out major updates like this overnight US time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Apple don't just serve everything direct from US servers. Their own servers are involved, but they have a complex Meta Delivery Network (CDN) that utilises 3 commercial CDN companies combined (Akamai, Limelight and Level3) with servers in North America, Europe and the Far East serving to local customers.

Here's an analysis of it from 2018:

https://arxiv.org/pdf/1810.02978.pdf

Apple own a chunk of Akamai, and they used to be the main CDN for them, but they diversified as downloads became more important. Apple do have their own data centres in the US, and I think at least one in China (like the one that was going to be built in Athenry, but was scrapped), but they'd still have to rely on a CDN (or CDNs) to support the global bandwidth they require.

So the US being awake shouldn't impact us in Europe getting our updates - it's Europeans being awake that affects us.

I understand how all the works, but no matter what way you look at it. It’s still millions of devices going for updates at the same time. If they had a 10am launch in each region, APAC /EMEA / US Domestic it would still spread it out. But I take your point also.

DubDJ makes a solid point above too. You’d imagine iOS has developers throughout the world though at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

DubDJ wrote: »
    I always imagined it was to ensure all the main stakeholders would be awake and in the office in case of any issues. Eg corrupted iOS downloads causing user devices to be bricked. Having the decision makers awake and alert is probably the reason they don’t push out major updates like this overnight US time.

But isn't that what beta programmes are for. They product is tried and tested before it goes out.

They know it's not going to brick phones.

Also they're a global company so would have key people all over the world empowered to make decisions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,070 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

But isn't that what beta programmes are for. They product is tried and tested before it goes out.

Also they're a global company so would have key people all over the world empowered to make decisions.

I work for a global company that does regular software deployments. Despite the fact that we have many responsible people worldwide, we have a single Release Manager in charge of a given deployment. Releases never happen during the night (relative to the Release Manager and the support team), and they never happen on weekends, public holiday, or Fridays. Despite all the testing, we never assume that a deploy can't go catastrophically wrong, and always have a rollback plan, which is the sole responsibility of the Release Manager to enact. Now, we're not Apple or anything near it, and maybe they do or could do it differently, but that's my experience.

It’s happened before on launch days unfortunately. iOS 9 was an absolute disaster they day it released. “Slide to upgrade”

Thankfully all of the public beta testing in additional to developer and internal testing, has helped make releases go a lot smoother.

Still remember the time this happened
    https://www.theverge.com/2018/11/5/18065264/apple-watchos-5-1-update-brick

No matter how much testing there is always a possibility of something going wrong. In this case Apple had to replace all the bricked Apple watches.

Basically what everyone else just said. Despite lengthly beta cycles sometimes bugs still pop up. Or in the case of previous updates the actual rollout or infrastructure was the issue. There are so many things that can go wrong. Even though Apple is an international company, the HQ with the senior exec team is still in Apple Park, US.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭og2k7

Still don't see it. Normally i jump into betas right away but with the lockdown/wfh i didn't want to risk it

Really curious how the widgets will work

the 6pm time has passed, looks like it's slightly delayed this time round. Or maybe it's still propagating through their server network. They are usually pretty precise with the 6pm time though.

Tim forget to press send

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Pete123456

Tim forget to press send

On his Maaaaaac

Advertisement