Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

sticking lock

• 22-06-2020 9:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭

before I call a locksmith, what needs to be replaced here. The lock sticks unless I lift the sliding mechanism slightly (or when it's closed I have to wiggle the handle and lift the key):

giphy.gif

I tried taking out the eurolock cylinder and it rotates fine when it's out of the door:

giphy.gif

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

have you oiled it lately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

have you oiled it lately

yes, plenty of oil sprayed into the lock and the mechanism

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Looking at the gifs you added, it looks like the locking mechanism itself is binding somewhere (you have to thumb the locking plate to unbind it, from what I can see). Depending on how comfortable on taking it apart, I'd be taking the side plate off the door and looking at the mechanism inside to see what is catching and where. Could be multiple things - a worn part that needs to be replaced, or a burr in the metal from wear and tear that can b filed down and greased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭massy086

From my experience of 26 years of repairing pvc doors and windows.I can tell you it is a spring inside the gearbox of the lock that has stretched and gone bad. The best way to fix this is to replace the gearbox or sometimes it's as cheap to replace the whole locking strip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,115 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

massy086 wrote: »
    From my experience of 26 years of repairing pvc doors and windows.I can tell you it is a spring inside the gearbox of the lock that has stretched and gone bad. The best way to fix this is to replace the gearbox or sometimes it's as cheap to replace the whole locking strip

thanks - it looks like for this model of door, I need to replace the whole strip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I had a lock wear out on a similar door recently.
    If you can remove and replace ~16 screws, you should be able to get the lock off this guy (no relation to me, I'm just a customer):
    https://www.windowanddoorparts.ie/product-category/door-parts/door-locks/
    It cost me EUR 50 to and about 45 mins to replace the part.

Advertisement