Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend an upgrade...

Options
  • 22-06-2020 9:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

My nephews graphics card has died on him and he is looking to replace. PC is about 5 years old. Specs are below...

Asrock H81M
    Intel i5 4460
    Corsair CXM 600W
    Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3
    GTX 960

I haven't upgraded in awhile myself so out of the game. Wondering if there is a good budget card to replace the 960? somethign between 200 and 250

Its a 5 year old build so the motherboard / CPU / RAM might be a bottle neck at this point. Any cheap full upgrade that might be worth splurging on?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭lickalot

https://ie.webuy.com/product-detail?id=scpuinti74770&categoryName=processors-intel&superCatName=computing&title=intel-core-i7-4770-%283.4ghz%29-lga1150

95 quid for a better processor that should keep up well enough in games.

Graphics card probably this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Gigabyte-Aorus-GeForce-GTX-1660/dp/B07PDT2H55/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=gtx+1660&qid=1592857115&sr=8-2

You could probably go for 16GB DDR4, new motherboard and Ryzen processor if budget allows it. Probably come to around 250.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Squall

Thanks. I was actually considering the 1660. Will price up the full upgrade and see what he thinks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

95 euro for a 4th-gen i5 is criminal, especially when the Ryzen 3100X/3300X exist & significantly outperform it for same price.

@OP I'd just get a GPU & save for a system rebuild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭lickalot

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    95 euro for a 4th-gen i5 is criminal, especially when the Ryzen 3100X/3300X exist & significantly outperform it for same price.

@OP I'd just get a GPU & save for a system rebuild.

If your looking for a cheap upgrade 95 euro isn't too bad when you have don't have to get Ram and a motherboard on top of it.

That I7 shouldn't be too bad in games. Its a cheap upgrade to keep the PC going.

Depends really how much gaming you do and the games you play.

That i5-4460 is pretty dire at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭Homelander

€95 is grand considering it saves you the hassle of a full platform change, if that's how you see these things. It's €95 v €250 for a full platform change.

Depends on the games being played at this stage. Some games the old i5 is fine, others not at all. If he's playing Fortnite and GTA V for example the i5 is grand. If he's playing Warzone or Battlefield or whatever, the i5 is really bad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement