Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost on small extension

Options
  • 22-06-2020 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

We are thinking of adding a single story small extension to our 1,300 sqft detached house in Dublin. We only want a small additional playroom for 3 kids to have their "stuff" and TV etc. Think we would probably need 100 sqft addition to the back of the house (east facing).
    Currently at the back of the house is a living/dining area (6.7m x 4.7m) with two double doors.

I don't envisage a fancy finish, flooring, electric points, a radiator or two, two or three windows.

In an ideal world, I would love to do this for €25K, give or take one or two thousand €.

Whats possible for this budget... Am I on another planet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 52,016 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I’d like a “ loving / dining area “ in my house. 😁😁
    Sorry OP I couldn’t resist.

I got a price of 40 K for something similar with a bathroom included. You probably could get away with it for 25K.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Hills30

:) aaanndd edited LOL.

That's encouraging... was the bathroom circa 10K of what you paid?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Am i reading this right? 100sq feet? Thats less than 10square meters.

Any more than 15k and run. And id even call that expensive.

Tbh im not sure what benefit you'd get put of such a small room / area.

Hills30 wrote: »
    :) aaanndd edited LOL.

That's encouraging... was the bathroom circa 10K of what you paid?

That was the lowest of the two quotes I have so far. Waiting on another.
    The bathroom would entail knocking part of an interior wall too. I got the price for the entire job so can’t answer that question but I would thin 25 K would do your job. Get 3 quotes anyway.

That was the lowest of the two quotes I have so far. Waiting on another.
    The bathroom would entail knocking part of an interior wall too. I got the price for the entire job so can’t answer that question but I would thin 25 K would do your job. Get 3 quotes anyway.

What was the size?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,242 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Just over 9m², it seems crazy to do an extension that small.

Could be the reason why the pricing or potential pricing would be so astronomical. The builder still needs to have lads onsite and those kind of costs etc. We'd also need to know complexity etc. But to consider spending 25 k on whatis a box bedroom seems nut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Build one for twice the size for 25 grand

Im not exactly sure on size... Im very much at the start of this, potentially it could be 50% bigger than this, but we don't need anything huge!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭scwazrh

€25k for 10sqm would be a realistic price at the moment for a single storey extension that doesn’t need planning

• Advertisement

It’s a good bit bigger than the OP’s approx 15sq feet. It also included turning the existing kitchen into a sittingroom and putting the kitchen in the new part.

scwazrh wrote: »
    €25k for 10sqm would be a realistic price at the moment for a single storey extension that doesn’t need planning

No i'd disagree. I'm not sure how that could be justified. Obviosuly if there was a new kitchen and some renovation taking place costs could stack up. But 25 thousand euro for a tiny room. Madness. Plenty of lads would do an extension bigger than tha, a lot bigger for the same money.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I think I'd pay a grand to a QS or a project manager. Money well spent, and if it goes South it's their problem.

I think I'd pay a grand to a QS or a project manager. Money well spent, and if it goes South it's their problem.

For 10sq meters?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭scwazrh

No i'd disagree. I'm not sure how that could be justified. Obviosuly if there was a new kitchen and some renovation taking place costs could stack up. But 25 thousand euro for a tiny room. Madness. Plenty of lads would do an extension bigger than tha, a lot bigger for the same money.

Plenty of lads maybe but any companies building to current regs won’t .Im pricing work every day of the week so know the prices currently being charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

For 10sq meters?

Yes, few know who they are dealing with. Worth it for a grand or so.

Plenty of lads maybe but any companies building to current regs won’t .Im pricing work every day of the week so know the prices currently being charge.

I'd beg to differ. Lets be honest. At those kind of prices work would dry up fairly quick.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Why would it be their problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

At least €25k - I’m in middle of single storey rear extension at 21sqm in south Dublin, done at high standard and cost is €62k. Cheapest quote was for €55k.

You get economies of scale so €25k for 10sqm would be minimum cost IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭neiphin

Your east facing kitchen living room gets the sun in the morning
    Are you prepared to loose that ?

• Advertisement

Yes, because of where our house is, we don’t get a pile of light anyway.

It seems opinion is divided on this one for cost.

At least €25k - I’m in middle of single storey rear extension at 21sqm in south Dublin, done at high standard and cost is €62k. Cheapest quote was for €55k.

You get economies of scale so €25k for 10sqm would be minimum cost IMO

That's crazy. How could anyone build a house with those costs.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

That's crazy. How could anyone build a house with those costs.

The thread title refers to small extension.
    The poster mentions economies of scale.

BryanF wrote: »
    The thread title refers to small extension.
    The poster mentions economies of scale.

That's fair enough we know this, but the poster who's paying 62k for their extension works out at €275 per sq foot. To me that's crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

I paid 42 k for a approx 12 sqm extension last year.
    This included a steel beam which allowed me to turn 3 dark and dingy rooms into 1 large 42sqm kitchen diner and living room, a pitched roof with velux windows new kitchen and new bathroom. Now i have a stunning living area flooded in sunlight. I dont count the cost per sqm i just see how well it functions and how happy it makes me.

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭luketitz

I converted a garage earlier this year, similar sized space for the exact same purpose (kids playroom for all their excess bits n bobs!) with a bathroom too for €18k, so it is doable.

We used a great QS (snip]) to itemise the costs and a sound builder(snip) to build to spec - wouldnt hesitate to recommend both after shopping around, but obviously there's loads out there

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

That's fair enough we know this, but the poster who's paying 62k for their extension works out at €275 per sq foot. To me that's crazy.

I know people that spend €3 on a coffee. That’s crazy to me.

If the customer is happy with what they got at a certain price fair enough. They'll be living there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Supply and demand - the top level builders in Dublin are all booked up for next 6-12 months.

I had 6 quotes last November so I know for the standard of work being done/detail I am paying current market rates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Supply and demand - the top level builders in Dublin are all booked up for next 6-12 months.

I had 6 quotes last November so I know for the standard of work being done/detail I am paying current market rates.

Thats a serious price to pay per square foot but its all up to the client and what they're happy to pay i suppose, have you a particularly high spec outlined, I'd love to know the profit margin at 275 per square foot

Advertisement