Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost on small extension

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Thats a serious price to pay per square foot but its all up to the client and what they're happy to pay i suppose, have you a particularly high spec outlined, I'd love to know the profit margin at 275 per square foot

There may be the same or less profit margin on 275 as there is on 100.
    In Dublin, labour rates are higher. Demand is bigger.

It’s why the price per square foot doesn’t work on a macro level. It’s a beer,at calculation to male a decision on a spur of the moment to see if you can roughly afford to build a 20 Sq. m extension or a 40 Sq. m.

For example, only 2 weeks ago, I was called out on here for picking the evening herald as a paper for a planning ad here in Dublin At a cost of €220. Another poster posted that I picked the most expensive paper in order to increase costs while they quoted a paper from down the country that could do it for €40.

Totally missed the point that in Dublin, you have to use a national paper currently as the small local papers are not doing print runs. And even the free papers, The Gazette for example are €150 for basic planning ads too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Thats a serious price to pay per square foot but its all up to the client and what they're happy to pay i suppose, have you a particularly high spec outlined, I'd love to know the profit margin at 275 per square foot

It's the current market rate for high spec in south Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

It's the current market rate for high spec in south Dublin.

So price per square foot/meter is not a reliable guide unless talking about builders finish or a basic finish, price for high spec finish is not something that we can use as a rule of thumb

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

So price per square foot/meter is not a reliable guide unless talking about builders finish or a basic finish, price for high spec finish is not something that we can use as a rule of thumb

yes completely agree.

Just a small example would be the 2 velux windows im getting - UK10s. getting triple glazing with lowest u value so the glass is about €800 more I think than standard glazing.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

The last really small extension I did was ~12m2 but we were opening up and opening out a kitchen living dinning area of the existing house. So when people say the extension coat €x per xm2 the devil is in the detail

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Price per square foot is irrelevant. It’s something you do to determine the ballpark of where you are with a budget before starting the whole process.

For example. A home owner rings me to lodge a planning application for a large extension I ask about budget. If they say they have 10k for a job that will cost ballpark 30k there’s no point lodging planning for what they currently aspire to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Just to wade in here. Expensive kitchens amd premium materials will obviously see costs going up massively. Knocking out an opening is also fairly costly. That's fair enough.

I think when posters throw up prices and the size of the extension they really need to put in a little more detail too. It's of no use saying " 10sqm @ 25k" and leaving it at that. At that price it has to include a wall knock out or refurb of existing layout etc.

My point was that I cant see how 10sqm is in anyomway beneficial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭Wesser

10 sqm is hugely beneficial. Especially if your adding it onto another room and changing the layout completely. But even by itself 10sqm is great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,820 ✭✭✭smelly sock

Wesser wrote: »
    10 sqm is hugely beneficial. Especially if your adding it onto another room and changing the layout completely. But even by itself 10sqm is great!

Agreed if its part of a reconfiguration. Then the costs make sense to some degree.

Advertisement